GR Yaris Retrofit Yaris Cross Headunit - it can be done!

yuri1312

Devoted member
Dec 7, 2021
Hi,

Inspired by @lee1563's work in retrofitting stuff into the GR, I've been doing my own research through toyota tech's wiring diagrams and found that the Yaris Cross's head unit is compatible (with some caveats) with the GR Yaris (only available in the 4x4 model - has a bigger usable screen area - 9 inch, more decent looking and functional software, as well as built in wireless android auto and carplay)

Caveats to note:
1) Clock on the head unit won't be populated as it requires GPS auto setting - no option to manually set it (the head unit is unable to communicate with the car's built-in GPS - @lee1563 will be investigating this on his side to see if the sat nav retrofit he has solves this). Clock is still available and adjustable in the smaller MFD screen in the cluster
2) fuel consumption metrics are not being populated (don't really use them, but I assume this is b\c the CAN messages exchanged with the car are probably differently formatted in the Yaris cross) - works fine in the MFD, though.
3) My-T logging is disabled - as the head-unit is probably incompatible with the communications module in the GR Yaris - connectivity always shows up offline unless you explicitly connect the headunit via wifi to your phone - and when you do this it's unable to successfully associate with MyT connected services - probably b\c the VIN is not associated with this service at toyota's servers.
4) Although the screen has navigation built-in, it has the same issue as the clock - maps load and work, but car is unable to get a GPS fix as it cannot communicate with the nav unit.

So, not a perfect solution, but at least from what I've been testing so far, it's a much more pleasant to use head unit.

Part no is: 86140-YP032 ( seen it for sale at wreckers between 350-600 €).

Posting some photos and a usage video below.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 20.05.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 20.11.19.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 18.21.53.jpeg

Last edited:

mag

May 13, 2023
Hi,

Inspired by @lee1563's work in retrofitting stuff into the GR, I've been doing my own research through toyota tech's wiring diagrams and found that the Yaris Cross's head unit is compatible (with some caveats) with the GR Yaris (only available in the 4x4 model - has a bigger usable screen area - 9 inch, more decent looking and functional software, as well as built in wireless android auto and carplay)

Caveats to note:
1) Clock on the head unit won't be populated as it requires GPS auto setting - no option to manually set it (the head unit is unable to communicate with the car's built-in GPS - @lee1563 will be investigating this on his side to see if the sat nav retrofit he has solves this). Clock is still available and adjustable in the smaller MFD screen in the cluster
2) fuel consumption metrics are not being populated (don't really use them, but I assume this is b\c the CAN messages exchanged with the car are probably differently formatted in the Yaris cross) - works fine in the MFD, though.
3) My-T logging is disabled - as the head-unit is probably incompatible with the communications module in the GR Yaris - connectivity always shows up offline unless you explicitly connect the headunit via wifi to your phone - and when you do this it's unable to successfully associate with MyT connected services - probably b\c the VIN is not associated with this service at toyota's servers.
4) Although the screen has navigation built-in, it has the same issue as the clock - maps load and work, but car is unable to get a GPS fix as it cannot communicate with the nav unit.

So, not a perfect solution, but at least from what I've been testing so far, it's a much more pleasant to use head unit.

Part no is: 86140-YP032 ( seen it for sale at wreckers between 350-600 €).

Posting some photos and a usage video below.

View attachment 16251

View attachment 16252

View attachment 16253

Was it a straight forward swap? I had a quick look at the connectors and there seems to be one one mismatch (green one on the GR which doesn't plug into the cross unit).

Also what are thoughts on the cross unit a few months after install, do you feel it was worth it? I'm currently using an android auto adapter but I would be nice to have the USB free

yuri1312

Devoted member
Dec 7, 2021
Was it a straight forward swap? I had a quick look at the connectors and there seems to be one one mismatch (green one on the GR which doesn't plug into the cross unit).

Also what are thoughts on the cross unit a few months after install, do you feel it was worth it? I'm currently using an android auto adapter but I would be nice to have the USB free
hi,

straight forward swap -> yep pretty much, but you should consider the quirks I've mentioned though...

to be honest, my car has been in the shop for a few months now upgrading some components, so haven't had much time to try it out. nevertheless, had it with me for about 1 month, and it worked pretty damn well :)

Reactions: mag

takis1964

Jan 17, 2024
Ιs the usb working normally?
Also the information on charging the battery? (if it is a hybrid )