GR86 Personalised Registrations

Bluemanc100

Totally Hooked
Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Messages
711
Reaction score
848
I see the idiots are out in force on the DVLA Auction site for the GRZ plate.. it’s a timed auction which ends next Wednesday with a start price of £170 and it’s gone over a grand already…

Bloody eBay virgins 😋
 
I once waited weeks and finally hours for an online DVLA Auction to start. Plate advertised at £300. Sat in my Bathrobe, early morning, shouting at the wife and dogs to be quiet, logged in via my special code, hand on the mouse ready to place my bid... "Bidding starts at £1,700 in the room, do we hear 18 hundred? .."
[Switches off PC at the plug]
 
I see the idiots are out in force on the DVLA Auction site for the GRZ plate.. it’s a timed auction which ends next Wednesday with a start price of £170 and it’s gone over a grand already…

Bloody eBay virgins 😋
Does that include the ones who plaster it all the over the internet too?
 
Does that include the ones who plaster it all the over the internet too?
Not if they had no intention of bidding I guess…

Auctions aren’t rocket science are they …

If mentioning it on this forum is “plastering it all over the internet” then that’s worrying... If you are suggesting that I (or somebody else) has increased awareness about the sale then I think that horse has already bolted @ZN8 ;)
 
Last edited:
im out.webp
 
Not if they had no intention of bidding I guess…

Auctions aren’t rocket science are they …

If mentioning it on this forum is “plastering it all over the internet” then that’s worrying... If you are suggesting that I (or somebody else) has increased awareness about the sale then I think that horse has already bolted @ZN8 ;)
It was more a tongue in cheek comment. There is a high likelihood that since its a 'GR' plate, it's being bid on by GR forum members and you are effectively branding someone or some people on here an idiot.
 
It was more a tongue in cheek comment. There is a high likelihood that since its a 'GR' plate, it's being bid on by GR forum members and you are effectively branding someone or some people on here an idiot.
Noted…. I do think it’s naive to show your cards so early in a timed auction .. Perhaps idiotic was a little strong but hey.. it’s not my money is it…
 
Noted…. I do think it’s naive to show your cards so early in a timed auction .. Perhaps idiotic was a little strong but hey.. it’s not my money is it…

I don't think it matters as they don't work like ebay. They are sliding time auctions, it will go on indefinitely if people keep bidding.
 
God wouldn't life be so much easier if we all liked things that nobody else did or there was loads of. Cars, plates, watches - we do like to make things difficult for ourselves don't we!

Part of the fun I suppose, the thrill of the hunt and all that.
 
I don't think it matters as they don't work like ebay. They are sliding time auctions, it will go on indefinitely if people keep bidding.
Ah ok… I wasn’t aware of that (though the auction actually states an end date and time) .. I assumed that there was a defined cut off time .. Still, I’d be keeping my powder dry until nearer to the end if I were contemplating a bid but I guess one option for any auction is to try and blow other interested parties away early doors
 
Last edited:
Ah ok… I wasn’t aware of that (though the auction actually states an end date and time) .. I assumed that there was a defined cut off time .. Still, I’d be keeping my powder dry until nearer to the end if I were contemplating a bid but I guess one option for any auction is to try and blow other interested parties away early doors
sometimes it can be an advantage though?. i mean by the end of day one if its already past the amount you were willing to pay then your time is done and can forget about it. Alternatively no one bids till the last 12 hours, yeh you have a chance but its likely that it would probably end up finishing the same price (or even more if two or three keep pushing the price up to try an win in the dying few minutes) and then you've spent each day checking and thinking - ahh my precious.
 
sometimes it can be an advantage though?. i mean by the end of day one if its already past the amount you were willing to pay then your time is done and can forget about it. Alternatively no one bids till the last 12 hours, yeh you have a chance but its likely that it would probably end up finishing the same price (or even more if two or three keep pushing the price up to try an win in the dying few minutes) and then you've spent each day checking and thinking - ahh my precious.
You may be right… I did consider a sneaky bid but (as mentioned) SWMBO would have my guts for garters if I spent over a grand on a number plate…
 
£1730 now, so that's over £2300 with tax and fees... someone really wants that GRZ plate :oops:
 
Back
Top