GR Yaris OZ Magnesium Limited Edition Superturismo Magnesio

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Came across these whilst looking at alloys and theGRY gets a mention. No indication of weight or how much but I’m guessing they will be expensive 🤔

C7B58CB1-4F61-49A5-9404-29B28C2FBC1B.jpeg

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
Says 8.43kg on that page mate. Click the arrow under the imprezo/evo/yaris text
Ahh yes, didn’t realise the full description was hidden. You’d think they’d also put it in the ‘product details’ section though. Italians, eh? 🤪🇮🇹🤌

Reactions: Islander and AndyRC

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
It’s true for wheels in general though. Getting hold of accurate weights is often surprisingly difficult. Given that they are easily weighed, and should have high repeatability/conformity, this has always puzzled me.

Why do wheel manufacturers find it so difficult?

I get that different offsets, bores etc. will cause a bit of variance, but that’ll be relatively minor and even stating ‘8.4-8.7kg depending on spec.’ would be fine.

Reactions: AlphaDelta

warren_RS3

Devoted member
Apr 20, 2022
Well spotted , at 8.4kg they aren’t that light then 🤷‍♂️
I took the OEM 19” BBS (8.5J) wheels off my RS3 saloon to replace with lighter flow formed wheels and the BBS’s weighed 13.1kg 😳

That is heavy. The flow forms I replaced then with are 10kg. The Mich PS4S’s tyres were 10kg in 255/30/19.

Given the state of British roads and the pot holes I’m not sure I’d want my 1.5 tonne car sat on anything less than 8kg of alloy per corner. Maybe track work you could risk lower, but 8kg isn’t exactly portly.

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
I took the OEM 19” BBS (8.5J) wheels off my RS3 saloon to replace with lighter flow formed wheels and the BBS’s weighed 13.1kg 😳

That is heavy. The flow forms I replaced then with are 10kg. The Mich PS4S’s tyres were 10kg in 255/30/19.

Given the state of British roads and the pot holes I’m not sure I’d want my 1.5 tonne car sat on anything less than 8kg of alloy per corner. Maybe track work you could risk lower, but 8kg isn’t exactly portly.
Thought the GRY BBS were around 8kg anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️ weight is not necessarily an indicator of strength, will depend on material how it’s made etc Still no idea what they cost 🤔

warren_RS3

Devoted member
Apr 20, 2022
Thought the GRY BBS were around 8kg anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️ weight is not necessarily an indicator of strength, will depend on material how it’s made etc Still no idea what they cost 🤔
Think the CP wheels are in the 8’s, but having spent a morning with the guy who designed the Revo RF0/RV0 alloy wheels and having him walk me through the design considerations he suggested that there comes a point where wheel weight reduction becomes an issue in the areas where the material is at it’s thinnest (fine parts of the spokes), and the impact testing for TUV approval means that you can only get down to a certain weight if you are prepared to take a compromise. My next door neighbour cracked an OZ 20” rim last winter on a major pot hole. Wasn’t flow formed or Forged (both of which make the wheel effectively stronger for the same material mass due to the production processes), but it shows that when you have insufficient tyre wall cushioning even a fairly slow speed impact (he estimates 40mph max) can cause some expensive issues. I live by the 80/20 rule. As soon as you go for 100% the compromises are too great.
25E446FC-D7A4-4084-A1FB-EABB36492BF9.jpeg

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
There is always a limit where going lighter brings exponential costs and risk of failure.

Bigger wheels with tyres like rubber bands will inevitably end up in higher risk of pothole damage. I’m looking at 17s for the GR86, more side wall , more comfort. Some wheels due to desig/meterial/manufacturing process exhibit “typical” failures W204 series C63 19s invariably cracked on the inner rim , finding one which hasn’t been welded is rare. MK8 Golf R 19s are prone to bending , I’ve known people who’ve had 3 out of 4 bent. Personally I’d take a decent lightweight 17 inch wheel and tyre combination. Still interested to see what these Limited Edition 8kg wheels will cost. 🤔

Reactions: warren_RS3

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
Mercedes seem to like making wheels out of putty.

A30E5B12-9F57-4E75-9FAA-C2A62B7C78BA.jpeg

I had these on my S204 and while they looked good on the outside, the beautifully maintained (!) roads of Buckinghamshire turned the inside into 50p pieces by the time I sold it.

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Mercedes seem to like making wheels out of putty.

View attachment 4081

I had these on my S204 and while they looked good on the outside, the beautifully maintained (!) roads of Buckinghamshire turned the inside into 50p pieces by the time I sold it.
The problem with the W204 was the wheels were brittle , hence the cracking , always the same on inside lip

Gryphus

Jul 21, 2022
Came across these whilst looking at alloys and theGRY gets a mention. No indication of weight or how much but I’m guessing they will be expensive 🤔

View attachment 4063

The problem with those "Superturismo Magnesium" wheels is that they are racetrack-only: The manufacturer states on the website that they are not meant for street use, most probably because they are cast (not forged) and hence they are not strong enough to withstand potholes impacts.
Magnesium is expensive, and at 8.43kg you are not saving a significant ammount of weight compared to the stock (Circuit Pack) wheels. I think that they look awesome though, specially in black with the red and white engravings.

On the same page you have the "Ultimate Magnesium", which are forged. Now, those are the real deal. 7.23kg per wheel on a 20" size is really impressive, and they are forged and ready also for street use.
The problem? They are only sold on 20" and 21" size combination for the Porsche 911 GT2/3 RS.

I was unable to find the price on either the Ultimate or the Superturismo, but considering that they are a magnesium alloy, expect thousands of euros.

Reactions: AndyRC

Tralien

Devoted member
Jan 29, 2022

View attachment 4063
these are 9x18, remember when you compare weight with 8x18 stock size