GR86 Ordering

Hi - are the initial rumours of a 400 car 2022 allocation true? Will I miss the 2022 allocation if I wait till June to order? I've never bought a new car before or owned anything newer than my 2005 M3. I'm pretty sold on the spec of the GR86 and have had loads of 200SXs in the past which I miss like hell, but I'd like to test drive one and make sure I'll actually like it. Is anyone else holding out till June / July?
 
Hi - are the initial rumours of a 400 car 2022 allocation true? Will I miss the 2022 allocation if I wait till June to order? I've never bought a new car before or owned anything newer than my 2005 M3. I'm pretty sold on the spec of the GR86 and have had loads of 200SXs in the past which I miss like hell, but I'd like to test drive one and make sure I'll actually like it. Is anyone else holding out till June / July?
I’m not sure if anyone can answer for sure but if you want one in 2022, or even at all, I wouldn’t hold out until June!
 
Hi - are the initial rumours of a 400 car 2022 allocation true? Will I miss the 2022 allocation if I wait till June to order? I've never bought a new car before or owned anything newer than my 2005 M3. I'm pretty sold on the spec of the GR86 and have had loads of 200SXs in the past which I miss like hell, but I'd like to test drive one and make sure I'll actually like it. Is anyone else holding out till June / July?
This was an initial comment from last year. The fact nothing has been mentioned since, either in the press release or material sent to dealers regarding availability it might suggest this is no longer the case.

Alot of people seem to be taking the gamble of buying one without driving it or even seeing it. It is risky. I don't think I would do it, the reason I have is I own a current GT86 so I know what to expect.
 
This was an initial comment from last year. The fact nothing has been mentioned since, either in the press release or material sent to dealers regarding availability it might suggest this is no longer the case.

Alot of people seem to be taking the gamble of buying one without driving it or even seeing it. It is risky. I don't think I would do it, the reason I have is I own a current GT86 so I know what to expect.
Good advice - but by waiting you risk missing out. Given the current predicted numbers coming into Europe, this will be a very rare car, and so even if you don't get on with it, the financial risk of buying sight-unseen is fairly low.

Personally, I loved my Mitsu FTO GP Version R (MT) - I only wished it was RWD... Fast forward 24 years - I think my wish has been answered!
 
Good advice - but by waiting you risk missing out. Given the current predicted numbers coming into Europe, this will be a very rare car, and so even if you don't get on with it, the financial risk of buying sight-unseen is fairly low.

Personally, I loved my Mitsu FTO GP Version R (MT) - I only wished it was RWD... Fast forward 24 years - I think my wish has been answered!
Unless you live under a rock, you won't miss out, you may just have to wait longer. Those who want to be sensible and actually test drive one, clearly won't be the first to receive a car, but they will have the opportunity to get one without a doubt. It may not be a 2022MY, but then they don't run in line with the calendar year, so there is there is a possibility to get hold of a 2023MY inside of 2022. Even if you miss out then, you have the first half of 2024 to get one. No need to scaremonger.
 
They’ve had over 6,000 people in the UK register their interest which I suspect is more than the Yaris had at launch.
 
Unless you live under a rock, you won't miss out, you may just have to wait longer. Those who want to be sensible and actually test drive one, clearly won't be the first to receive a car, but they will have the opportunity to get one without a doubt. It may not be a 2022MY, but then they don't run in line with the calendar year, so there is there is a possibility to get hold of a 2023MY inside of 2022. Even if you miss out then, you have the first half of 2024 to get one. No need to scaremonger.
I don’t know why you’d wait? If the deposit is refundable like it was for the Yaris then you cancel after a test drive.
 
Unless the UK allocation from Toyota / Subaru JP runs out before customer demand does - then the UK dealers will run out.

That's not to say Japan won't allocate more if pressed hard enough by Toyota UK but that's not guaranteed.
 
I think with a refundable deposit there is a good / high probability that you'll get the car post test drive but just not in the July start. While the GR86 has a pretty solid following, it is still a small 2 door coupe which is one of the lowest levels of category in UK sales. Also people will have money down now and when it comes out hitting 4.9% interest will put some off when expecting the 0% like previous Toyota products. Some wont like it after testing, so there is also a good chance of cancelled orders hitting your dealer and given the GRY is still going nearly new for about list price then I doubt it will have mark up like a nearly new Porsche does.
All my speculation. Ive had a deposit on a GRY since Mar 21 and no idea when it'll be delivered but I dont want it anymore, its just such hard work to get hold of anyone at the dealer I've given up and will see what happens when they call me wanting the rest of the money.
 
Unless you live under a rock, you won't miss out, you may just have to wait longer. Those who want to be sensible and actually test drive one, clearly won't be the first to receive a car, but they will have the opportunity to get one without a doubt. It may not be a 2022MY, but then they don't run in line with the calendar year, so there is there is a possibility to get hold of a 2023MY inside of 2022. Even if you miss out then, you have the first half of 2024 to get one. No need to scaremonger.
I thought I gave a considered and honest opinion and in no way was I "scaremongering". You on the other hand could be accused of giving out false hope. But time will tell I guess.
 
I think the GR86 will be a rare car in the UK and nowhere near as common as the GR Yaris.
You snooze you lose - no insider info but with no BRZ as an alternative in the UK the allocation will soon go.
 
I think the GR86 will be a rare car in the UK and nowhere near as common as the GR Yaris.
You snooze you lose - no insider info but with no BRZ as an alternative in the UK the allocation will soon go.
Totally agree!
 
I thought I gave a considered and honest opinion and in no way was I "scaremongering". You on the other hand could be accused of giving out false hope. But time will tell I guess.
False hope? What by being rational and talking logical.
 
I don't agree. There are even less numbers than the Yaris and once Evo Autocar Top Gear etc post their reviews it'll be gone.

Even after putting a deposit on the GRY I got a priority test drive on the demo first.

Also defo get a manual it's a RWD sports car!
 
Back
Top