GR86 "One more sleep..."

Nearly a year since I ordered it’s arrived. 👍 Looking a LOT better than it did a week ago. 😊 Going to have some time with settings controls etc then taking the CEO out on a short local trip for first impressions🤔. Tomorrow I’m out on my own and meeting a mate at NY500 so will get chance to get a proper feel for the car on some roads I know well. Mandatory “Custard” photo attached. 😂

7F39D9AA-1905-4F32-ACF8-0537354C9F1F.webp
 
Nearly a year since I ordered it’s arrived. 👍 Looking a LOT better than it did a week ago. 😊 Going to have some time with settings controls etc then taking the CEO out on a short local trip for first impressions🤔. Tomorrow I’m out on my own and meeting a mate at NY500 so will get chance to get a proper feel for the car on some roads I know well. Mandatory “Custard” photo attached. 😂

View attachment 15767

Great News @AndyRC, really pleased the dealership stepped up and sorted all the issues to your satisfaction.

Now all you have to do is drive and enjoy!
 
Well here we are at last!

Car looks lovely @AndyRC - I very much look forward to hearing your impressions of the car. Enjoy your drives!
 
….Just to add, if they aren’t there in the standard screen, CarPlay etc. then it is likely a fault with your reversing camera. You could try getting your misses to tap the camera while you look at the screen to see if they go away or get worse. (Ps please don’t run her over though🤣)
 
Maybe it's because you're in the shade this time?

First one looked like it was in direct sunlight.
 
So having slept 💤 sadly the GR86 will be on its way back to JRT aim Hull as soon as possible. The car is just too stiff for me and after three hours of driving I had a hat trick of aches , back , neck and oddly right leg, which is also numb from the seat bolster 🤷‍♂️ it’s also a noisy little 🤬er on the Michelins. The engine , auto box and handling were great (although it didn’t feel anywhere near as planted along Blakey Ridge as my old C63, it was quite windy). I struggled to get a comfortable driving position.

The opportunity to use the GR86 to its potential is hugely limited by the amount of traffic, and I’m no longer inclined to risk life and limb and drive like a T🤬🤬T just to get behind the next lorry , caravan, tractor etc.

Had Toyota made an automatic available as demonstrator, and I’d had the opportunity of a proper test drive ie , “cars got plenty of fuel , come back when you’re ready” , I would have cancelled my order. I’ve discussed this with the Online team and WN23 CNK may become a demonstrator. For anyone who has ordered an Automatic, get in touch with Toyota Online, as they do now have one registered in their ownership.

I wasn’t interested in keeping it and selling myself etc I never ordered the car with a view to flipping it, I’m happy to exercise my “exit clause” , get the deposit back and move on. Every day is a school day and the lesson I learned was “never buy a car again unless I can have a proper test drive in the exact model I’m interested in“

I will be sticking around a while but ultimately will be departing the forum In due course. I hope folk enjoy their cars and keep the GR86 community growing on the forum in the lively and good mannered way that it’s largely been from the beginning.

Andy

PS I do have registration plate , GR66 ZOO , available if anyone is interested, if not it will go on a resale site in due course
 
So having slept 💤 sadly the GR86 will be on its way back to JRT aim Hull as soon as possible. The car is just too stiff for me and after three hours of driving I had a hat trick of aches , back , neck and oddly right leg, which is also numb from the seat bolster 🤷‍♂️ it’s also a noisy little 🤬er on the Michelins. The engine , auto box and handling were great (although it didn’t feel anywhere near as planted along Blakey Ridge as my old C63, it was quite windy). I struggled to get a comfortable driving position.

The opportunity to use the GR86 to its potential is hugely limited by the amount of traffic, and I’m no longer inclined to risk life and limb and drive like a T🤬🤬T just to get behind the next lorry , caravan, tractor etc.

Had Toyota made an automatic available as demonstrator, and I’d had the opportunity of a proper test drive ie , “cars got plenty of fuel , come back when you’re ready” , I would have cancelled my order. I’ve discussed this with the Online team and WN23 CNK may become a demonstrator. For anyone who has ordered an Automatic, get in touch with Toyota Online, as they do now have one registered in their ownership.

I wasn’t interested in keeping it and selling myself etc I never ordered the car with a view to flipping it, I’m happy to exercise my “exit clause” , get the deposit back and move on. Every day is a school day and the lesson I learned was “never buy a car again unless I can have a proper test drive in the exact model I’m interested in“

I will be sticking around a while but ultimately will be departing the forum In due course. I hope folk enjoy their cars and keep the GR86 community growing on the forum in the lively and good mannered way that it’s largely been from the beginning.

Andy

PS I do have registration plate , GR66 ZOO , available if anyone is interested, if not it will go on a resale site in due course
Sorry to hear that mate.

Why not get a Toyota dealership to buy it off you and settle the finance.

That car is going to go back on sale for £40k either way, rather some of that mark-up goes to you than a dealership, especially one that gave you such a crappy handover.
 
So having slept 💤 sadly the GR86 will be on its way back to JRT aim Hull as soon as possible. The car is just too stiff for me and after three hours of driving I had a hat trick of aches , back , neck and oddly right leg, which is also numb from the seat bolster 🤷‍♂️ it’s also a noisy little 🤬er on the Michelins. The engine , auto box and handling were great (although it didn’t feel anywhere near as planted along Blakey Ridge as my old C63, it was quite windy). I struggled to get a comfortable driving position.

The opportunity to use the GR86 to its potential is hugely limited by the amount of traffic, and I’m no longer inclined to risk life and limb and drive like a T🤬🤬T just to get behind the next lorry , caravan, tractor etc.

Had Toyota made an automatic available as demonstrator, and I’d had the opportunity of a proper test drive ie , “cars got plenty of fuel , come back when you’re ready” , I would have cancelled my order. I’ve discussed this with the Online team and WN23 CNK may become a demonstrator. For anyone who has ordered an Automatic, get in touch with Toyota Online, as they do now have one registered in their ownership.

I wasn’t interested in keeping it and selling myself etc I never ordered the car with a view to flipping it, I’m happy to exercise my “exit clause” , get the deposit back and move on. Every day is a school day and the lesson I learned was “never buy a car again unless I can have a proper test drive in the exact model I’m interested in“

I will be sticking around a while but ultimately will be departing the forum In due course. I hope folk enjoy their cars and keep the GR86 community growing on the forum in the lively and good mannered way that it’s largely been from the beginning.

Andy

PS I do have registration plate , GR66 ZOO , available if anyone is interested, if not it will go on a resale site in due course
Sorry to hear that Andy, your efforts on this forum have played a massive part in making it what it is and it’s much appreciated. I wish you the best in whatever car you decide on next. We live and learn.
 
So having slept 💤 sadly the GR86 will be on its way back to JRT aim Hull as soon as possible. The car is just too stiff for me and after three hours of driving I had a hat trick of aches , back , neck and oddly right leg, which is also numb from the seat bolster 🤷‍♂️ it’s also a noisy little 🤬er on the Michelins. The engine , auto box and handling were great (although it didn’t feel anywhere near as planted along Blakey Ridge as my old C63, it was quite windy). I struggled to get a comfortable driving position.

The opportunity to use the GR86 to its potential is hugely limited by the amount of traffic, and I’m no longer inclined to risk life and limb and drive like a T🤬🤬T just to get behind the next lorry , caravan, tractor etc.

Had Toyota made an automatic available as demonstrator, and I’d had the opportunity of a proper test drive ie , “cars got plenty of fuel , come back when you’re ready” , I would have cancelled my order. I’ve discussed this with the Online team and WN23 CNK may become a demonstrator. For anyone who has ordered an Automatic, get in touch with Toyota Online, as they do now have one registered in their ownership.

I wasn’t interested in keeping it and selling myself etc I never ordered the car with a view to flipping it, I’m happy to exercise my “exit clause” , get the deposit back and move on. Every day is a school day and the lesson I learned was “never buy a car again unless I can have a proper test drive in the exact model I’m interested in“

I will be sticking around a while but ultimately will be departing the forum In due course. I hope folk enjoy their cars and keep the GR86 community growing on the forum in the lively and good mannered way that it’s largely been from the beginning.

Andy

PS I do have registration plate , GR66 ZOO , available if anyone is interested, if not it will go on a resale site in due course
Sorry to hear you conclusions Andy… Interestingly I also had a really sore neck after quite a long test drive last month. I’m booked in for another, just to confirm either way if it was the car or a coincidence…
 
So having slept 💤 sadly the GR86 will be on its way back to JRT aim Hull as soon as possible. The car is just too stiff for me and after three hours of driving I had a hat trick of aches , back , neck and oddly right leg, which is also numb from the seat bolster 🤷‍♂️ it’s also a noisy little 🤬er on the Michelins. The engine , auto box and handling were great (although it didn’t feel anywhere near as planted along Blakey Ridge as my old C63, it was quite windy). I struggled to get a comfortable driving position.

The opportunity to use the GR86 to its potential is hugely limited by the amount of traffic, and I’m no longer inclined to risk life and limb and drive like a T🤬🤬T just to get behind the next lorry , caravan, tractor etc.

Had Toyota made an automatic available as demonstrator, and I’d had the opportunity of a proper test drive ie , “cars got plenty of fuel , come back when you’re ready” , I would have cancelled my order. I’ve discussed this with the Online team and WN23 CNK may become a demonstrator. For anyone who has ordered an Automatic, get in touch with Toyota Online, as they do now have one registered in their ownership.

I wasn’t interested in keeping it and selling myself etc I never ordered the car with a view to flipping it, I’m happy to exercise my “exit clause” , get the deposit back and move on. Every day is a school day and the lesson I learned was “never buy a car again unless I can have a proper test drive in the exact model I’m interested in“

I will be sticking around a while but ultimately will be departing the forum In due course. I hope folk enjoy their cars and keep the GR86 community growing on the forum in the lively and good mannered way that it’s largely been from the beginning.

Andy

PS I do have registration plate , GR66 ZOO , available if anyone is interested, if not it will go on a resale site in due course

Sorry to read your post @AndyRC.

It's a sad conclusion considering you have waited many months for the car and experienced disappointment following the shambolic home delivery only to determine the car is not for you.

Agree, an extended test drive is more appropriate for decision making purposes when viewing potential cars.

I hope your quest for your next car is not burdened with long delivery dates.
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone, you never really know how you’re going to gel with a car until you can spend some hours in it on your own. I’ve made my feelings known to the Online team regarding the lack of an auto demonstrator , 30 minutes fighting with the clutch in the manual was never going to let me make a proper assessment.

End of the day I’m no worse off and I was , and always will be, the first registered keeper of WN23 CNK , and no one can alter that 👍😎
 
Sorry to hear that the car ultimately wasn't for you Andy; it sounds like you have made the right decision that's best for you and the CEO.

Perhaps if Sir could be tempted by a Supra, Sir could stick around... ;)

In all seriousness, thanks for the huge role you've had in making this forum what it is, and I for one would be very interested in what you decide to go for instead, once you've had a think about it (and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone).
 
Back
Top