GR86 More cars on the way..

My heart says that Toyota won’t change anything on the spec to prevent upsetting everyone in round 1….

My head says Toyota will make some small but significant changes that most of batch 1 would have opted for and throw a few k on the price.
Nah. They underpriced it at the start.

Saying that if they add four pots i’ll be reet miffed 😂
 
This isn't a bad thing. More cars, more and cheaper parts, cheaper insurance, lesser likelihood of theft, easier to replace, the community will grow.

A price increase would only solidify the higher asking price for used models. If anyone thinks a 25-50% allocation increase will significantly diminish long term values, you've not been paying attention to the market.

And I'm happy to bet against anyone who thinks they'll be able to double the allocation in the next year.
 
This isn't a bad thing. More cars, more and cheaper parts, cheaper insurance, lesser likelihood of theft, easier to replace, the community will grow.

A price increase would only solidify the higher asking price for used models. If anyone thinks a 25-50% allocation increase will significantly diminish long term values, you've not been paying attention to the market.

And I'm happy to bet against anyone who thinks they'll be able to double the allocation in the next year.
This! Anything that helps with availability of parts and cheaper insurance is fine by me. And even if they could double the allocation, 800 odd is still a fairly rare car.
 
More cars doesn't necessarily mean cheaper insurance, although it may help with part availability. It means there's more chances they get damaged. My Z4M was a bargain to insure despite it being relatively low volume too.

There's no way the allocation is doubling. Not unless there happens to be some RHD ones pre-built in Japan somewhere but I can't see that. We may get 100 more plus whatever demos and test cars are out there, may take it to 600.

I'm more interested in what accessories we should be able to get now. It still been fairly quiet. Wasn't there boot mats and other bits available from March?
 
As long as they don’t do an amazing ltd ed in soul red with all the extra TRD bits that are on my wish list…

Yes please 🙏

fb_86 (2).webp
 
The email doesn't say a whole lot new, they are trying to source more.
They already had a waiting list from the orders last year, now they are just trying to see whose still interested because their list is old, maybe
 
It’s a great news. Will be good if Toyota can squeeze out more cars. It would mean more people will get to enjoy this great sports car. Don’t think long term values will be affected, even with double numbers cars available. Still limited production little gem.
 
I am happy for you guys in the UK!

"UK deliveries began last July"

That was the original plan, but didn't the very first cars get delivered in early December?

Not the point of the article I know, but it's nice to be accurate...
 
In the hope that I might be able to place an order (again) I'm test driving a GR86 tomorrow, which should be interesting.
I haven't even seen one in the UK yet, just at a car show in Dallas last September.
I'm sure my 6 foot tall rugby player son will fit in the back, right?..
 
In the hope that I might be able to place an order (again) I'm test driving a GR86 tomorrow, which should be interesting.
I haven't even seen one in the UK yet, just at a car show in Dallas last September.
I'm sure my 6 foot tall rugby player son will fit in the back, right?..
If he doesn’t mind cracking his head on back the window. 🤣
 
In the hope that I might be able to place an order (again) I'm test driving a GR86 tomorrow, which should be interesting.
I haven't even seen one in the UK yet, just at a car show in Dallas last September.
I'm sure my 6 foot tall rugby player son will fit in the back, right?..
Where'd you manage to get a test drive if you don't mind me asking? I've tried asking about it at the Coventry branch but they're extremely protective of putting miles on their black one unless you have a confirmed order, couldn't even sit in it as it was going in for the duckbill spoiler 😅
 
Where'd you manage to get a test drive if you don't mind me asking? I've tried asking about it at the Coventry branch but they're extremely protective of putting miles on their black one unless you have a confirmed order, couldn't even sit in it as it was going in for the duckbill spoiler 😅
Bishop's Stortford, but the car has come from Letchworth apparently. Just waiting to drive it now....
 
Bishop's Stortford, but the car has come from Letchworth apparently. Just waiting to drive it now....
That is the one I test drive originally, they’ve since added the body kit to it so it doesn’t look like factory. Just as a heads up in case you think it looks a bit funny.
 
That is the one I test drive originally, they’ve since added the body kit to it so it doesn’t look like factory. Just as a heads up in case you think it looks a bit funny.
Yeah, not a fan of the body kit personally:

IMG20230509142438.webp


Sorry for the crap photo, I only remembered as I was driving away. There are a few things that surprised me and one was the light reflecting off the ducktail kept catching my eye as I was driving, which was quite distracting.

I saw a review a while ago that said the new engine dominates the experience, which sounded ridiculous to me, but I can see what they mean - taking it up to 7k in 2nd gear was really surprising compared to my 2 litre MX5 and the GT86, it's seriously quick.

I was surprised by the comfort on the motorway at 70, definitely fine for long journeys, but the low speed ride around town was very stiff, mostly down to our terrible roads.

Last thing - I put the passenger seat as far forward as I could bear before my knees hit the dash, then got into the back to see how bad it would be for 3 adult sized people (and a dog) and actually thought it wasn't really terrible. Sounds like faint praise, but all the reviews say the back seats are for storage only and I think I could potentially get away with it on the rare drives that we have 3 of us in the car.

Just to rub salt in the wound, the sales guy told me that someone at Letchworth had bought this car as it was a cancelled order - I cancelled my 10.07 order for a black car with the same group, so there's a very good chance that this was my actual car.......:cry:
 
Yeah, not a fan of the body kit personally:

View attachment 16509

Sorry for the crap photo, I only remembered as I was driving away. There are a few things that surprised me and one was the light reflecting off the ducktail kept catching my eye as I was driving, which was quite distracting.

I saw a review a while ago that said the new engine dominates the experience, which sounded ridiculous to me, but I can see what they mean - taking it up to 7k in 2nd gear was really surprising compared to my 2 litre MX5 and the GT86, it's seriously quick.

I was surprised by the comfort on the motorway at 70, definitely fine for long journeys, but the low speed ride around town was very stiff, mostly down to our terrible roads.

Last thing - I put the passenger seat as far forward as I could bear before my knees hit the dash, then got into the back to see how bad it would be for 3 adult sized people (and a dog) and actually thought it wasn't really terrible. Sounds like faint praise, but all the reviews say the back seats are for storage only and I think I could potentially get away with it on the rare drives that we have 3 of us in the car.

Just to rub salt in the wound, the sales guy told me that someone at Letchworth had bought this car as it was a cancelled order - I cancelled my 10.07 order for a black car with the same group, so there's a very good chance that this was my actual car.......:cry:
This was 100% the Steven Eagell demonstrator as I test drove it in November before the first batch arrived so wasn’t a canceled order.
 
This was 100% the Steven Eagell demonstrator as I test drove it in November before the first batch arrived so wasn’t a canceled order.
It would tie in with the time 'my' car was due to arrive (after delays) and that's what the sales guy told me, but you never know.

It was very nice anyway, let's hope Toyota come through with more cars and I can get one!
 
Just had an email to advise a small batch is coming to the U.K. but due to my position on the wait list I wouldn’t be invited to order. I didn’t realise I was on the wait list seeing as I already have a car.
 
Back
Top