GR86 If you cancel, flip or have to wait ages what will you buy instead?

Silver Fox

Totally Hooked
Joined
May 7, 2022
Messages
3,626
Reaction score
8,351
I do like a hot hatch. I have done for years. Despite this, astonishingly I've never owned a French car, and the French are rather good at hot hatches.

Consequently I'm rather tempted to try a new shape Mégane RS 280/300. I nearly bought one two years ago.

I'm thinking I might dabble while I wait for the GR86, or, if I do decide to cancel in a fit of pique, instead of.

I know some of our fine comrades here are considering alternatives and in some cases have even made a purchase. Damn fine looking Supra and great value 230i spring to mind.

Thoughts welcome, if you have any!
 
I'm tempted to make a return to BMW in the form of a new 2 Series, seen one in purple think it's called thunderbolt ? Not a colour I would normally choose but it really suits the car, but also tempted by a TT, I do think if I go elsewhere it's likely to be German, I really like the Supra but it's just a bit beyond what I'm prepared to pay for what for me is a fun car, would be tough to justify to the other half as she's not really a car person 😂
 
My OH has always "tolerated" my car buying but never really engages in conversation or voices much opinion.

Out of nowhere this afternoon whilst driving home she said "you should cancel the GR86 order and get an M2 competition, you've always wanted one"! o_O

Personally I think she was just worried about me going back to plan 'A' before I'd secured an "early" 86 order which was to keep the Cayman until next June, save up some more and then move to a 911 (mid-life crisis birthday! :ROFLMAO:)

...I quite fancy an GR Yaris personally at the moment ... So one of those 3 I guess! (But none tick the same boxes as the GR86 so I hope I fall for it when it finally gets here!)
 
An M2 sounds like a very good idea!

Personally, I was looking at an MX5 NC2 with Meister R suspension, but he sold it before I could get there...
Mine will be up for sale in a couple of weeks. 62k on the clock. Meister R CRD and cobalt back box plus other bits. PM me if you want more info and a full description.

PXL_20220731_165614802~2.webp
 
Cancel, nah. Wait ages, maybe mx5 rf 30th anniversary edition or nearly new GT sport tech. Flip, depanding on prices at the time, maybe Lexus gsf / rcf / lc500. Keep it is the most likely feeling I have at the moment, flip it for a V8 the second.😁
 
Other options I had considered before partaking in the Supra 2.0 had been.

An CTR FK8, Mustang (2.3 litre or V8), Supra 3.0 litre (can be picked up for around 42k with around 15k miles), a GT86, BMW 2 series, old BMW 4 series, GR Yaris.

These were all second hand mind.

What I do find interesting is that, whilst at Toyota, they told me about a customer who purchased the GRY, drove it for 6months and put 6k miles on it. Then he traded it in and Toyota gave him exactly what he paid for it.

I no this type of market won’t last but I remain hopeful I’ll only see a small loss on the Supra if I do decide to move it on.

Another thing to remember. And I didn’t know this. If negotiating on a new car at a dealer that isn’t on Carwow if you show them the discount you can get on carwow they honour it. I initially only had the 2k FDA on my new purchase. Carwow afforded me an additional 2.4K. Car wow if your friend. Even if the dealer isn’t on it 😂
 
Im not cancelling and mine is on the boat, but if the economy and practicality issues get to me it’ll be flipped for either an i30n fastback, m235gc or a peugeot rifter xl 🤣
 
I'm not cancelling but if the worst comes to the worst, I would be happy to take an early model GT86 and eventually use what I would have to get me a decent daily
 
I do like a hot hatch. I have done for years. Despite this, astonishingly I've never owned a French car, and the French are rather good at hot hatches.

Consequently I'm rather tempted to try a new shape Mégane RS 280/300. I nearly bought one two years ago.

I'm thinking I might dabble while I wait for the GR86, or, if I do decide to cancel in a fit of pique, instead of.

I know some of our fine comrades here are considering alternatives and in some cases have even made a purchase. Damn fine looking Supra and great value 230i spring to mind.

Thoughts welcome, if you have any!
Hello!

I love French hot-hatches, I've owned multiple (Megane 3 RS Trophy, Megane 3 RS Trophy R, Clio 3 RS) and still own (Clio 4 RS Trophy, Megane 4 RS 280 CUP). IMHO you can't go wrong with any of these, I never had any issues with any of these cars, hell my Megane 3 RS Trophy had 260k km's when I sold it :D
 
Hello!

I love French hot-hatches, I've owned multiple (Megane 3 RS Trophy, Megane 3 RS Trophy R, Clio 3 RS) and still own (Clio 4 RS Trophy, Megane 4 RS 280 CUP). IMHO you can't go wrong with any of these, I never had any issues with any of these cars, hell my Megane 3 RS Trophy had 260k km's when I sold it :D
Good to know, thank you!
 
Hello!

I love French hot-hatches, I've owned multiple (Megane 3 RS Trophy, Megane 3 RS Trophy R, Clio 3 RS) and still own (Clio 4 RS Trophy, Megane 4 RS 280 CUP). IMHO you can't go wrong with any of these, I never had any issues with any of these cars, hell my Megane 3 RS Trophy had 260k km's when I sold it :D

I've bought a 275 Trophy to tide me over until the GR arrives. Sublime but a tad on the harsh side for daily use. Getting old.

Previously owned a Clio 182 Trophy / Clio 200 and Clio V6. Trophy the pick of the bunch.
 
I've bought a 275 Trophy to tide me over until the GR arrives. Sublime but a tad on the harsh side for daily use. Getting old.

Previously owned a Clio 182 Trophy / Clio 200 and Clio V6. Trophy the pick of the bunch.
Yeah it really can be harsh, especially with Olihns suspension haha. You owned a V6 Clio? I'm so jealous, I wanted to drive that car for ages, but the prices now are bonkers :D
 
Back
Top