GR86 If you cancel, flip or have to wait ages what will you buy instead?

One of the reasons I’d treat any secondhand turbo car with a lot of suspicion, Golf R is a good example , lots of plugin maps , which get removed before sale. Personally wouldn’t buy a turbo engined car unless new , or from a main dealer who gave a written guarantee that it was 100% original and warranted as such , if they won’t then walk away.
I love buying new cars for that reason. I bought a very low mileage VRS that was pretty much as new otherwise I am always suspicious. Plus I like my cars perfect and not many people treat them as I would.

In the current market second hand cars are so expensive it makes it even harder to justify going second hand… other than the delays. But i would still prefer to wait for something new.
 
Awesome cars, much prefer the look of the FK8 to the new FL5, especially in championship white. Wish I’d ordered one a few years back as I don’t like buying used hot hatches tbh, too many barry boys map them and put them back to stock before selling. Low miles ones are also selling around list price or over for certain colours!
Agreed. The new one looks like it's an apology for the FK8. I loved that mine stood out from the crowd, especially in red with the black trim.
 
How about one of these oh Toyota don’t think the U.K. is worthy !!

Looks like an exciting prospect, but I'm sorry the three exhausts look ridiculous.

It's one exhaust per cylinder, for goodness sake.

And I know VW and Audi have been doing it with their R and S hatches respectively, but it doesn't make it right does it.

(Disclaimer: This is entirely my subjective opinion, other opinions are available, and I have a thing about pantomime exhausts! Plus apart from that one thing the Corolla looks fantastic and I'd love a go in one)
 
Last edited:
Looks like an exciting prospect, but I'm sorry the three exhausts look ridiculous.

It's one exhaust per cylinder, for goodness sake.

And I know VW and Audi have been doing it with their R and S hatches respectively, but it doesn't make it right does it.
I think the exhaust looks great. I also like the exhaust on the Type r fk8 and the new type r

Just been watching the review on throttlehouse. Pretty quick 👍
 
I think the exhaust looks great. I also like the exhaust on the Type r fk8 and the new type r

Just been watching the review on throttlehouse. Pretty quick 👍
Fair enough - I was probably a bit harsh with my comment above and apart from the exhaust it does look great!
 
Looks like an exciting prospect, but I'm sorry the three exhausts look ridiculous.

It's one exhaust per cylinder, for goodness sake.

And I know VW and Audi have been doing it with their R and S hatches respectively, but it doesn't make it right does it.

(Disclaimer: This is entirely my subjective opinion, other opinions are available, and I have a thing about pantomime exhausts! Plus apart from that one thing the Corolla looks fantastic and I'd love a go in one)
Maybe I’m really childish but I really wish we had the coloured seat belts
 
Looks like an exciting prospect, but I'm sorry the three exhausts look ridiculous.

It's one exhaust per cylinder, for goodness sake.

And I know VW and Audi have been doing it with their R and S hatches respectively, but it doesn't make it right does it.
The exhausts are a bit awkwardly positioned but I guess it’s a bit of a conversation piece. It probably can allow for some rerouting for different sounds so that’s interesting and I’d like to see what the aftermarket scene can do with it.

Maybe I just don’t like 3 tailpipes as I don’t like the Civic ones either (FK8 or FL5)
 
The exhausts are a bit awkwardly positioned but I guess it’s a bit of a conversation piece. It probably can allow for some rerouting for different sounds so that’s interesting and I’d like to see what the aftermarket scene can do with it.

Maybe I just don’t like 3 tailpipes as I don’t like the Civic ones either (FK8 or FL5)
Maybe the 3rd pipe is for the wastegate á la F40? :p
 
To those interested in the new CTR as an alternative, have you heard the suggestions that the price is going to start from £50k?!?

Apparently a few people have had calls from their dealers where they have a deposit in, asking if they are still interested at that price.
 
I heard this too. The CTR needs 4wd and 400bhp to be worth that.

I'd rather get a Lexus LC500.
 
I heard this too. The CTR needs 4wd and 400bhp to be worth that.

I'd rather get a Lexus LC500.
Me too, the only car that sounds better than my old TVR Griff.
Beautiful
IMG_0091.webp
 
To those interested in the new CTR as an alternative, have you heard the suggestions that the price is going to start from £50k?!?

Apparently a few people have had calls from their dealers where they have a deposit in, asking if they are still interested at that price.
Mad if true and would only solidify the GR86 as the best value sports car in the UK this decade.

Even the cheapest MX-5 convertible with the 2.0 engine and LSD is over £30k brand new these days, and suffers from relatively heavy depreciation.

If I couldn't wait for the GR86, I would be looking for a used Cayman 2.9 (987.2) or Mazda MX5 RF 2.0 (ND2) under £20k and pocket the difference for a rainy day.
 
Mad if true and would only solidify the GR86 as the best value sports car in the UK this decade.

Even the cheapest MX-5 convertible with the 2.0 engine and LSD is over £30k brand new these days, and suffers from relatively heavy depreciation.

If I couldn't wait for the GR86, I would be looking for a used Cayman 2.9 (987.2) or Mazda MX5 RF 2.0 (ND2) under £20k and pocket the difference for a rainy day.
This type of car is rapidly becoming an endangered species, loads of folk want them , supply extremely limited (for multiple reasons) manufacturers know they can charge way more than they could 3/4 years ago so they do 🤷‍♂️ If we didn’t have dealers sticking to MRRP we would be seeing big mark ups on new cars as the US buyers face. Saw this today whilst the CEO was getting her car serviced.

300 Civic Type Rs, possibly several thousand potential customers, second hand ones fetching nearly £40k , yeah let’s sell these new ones for £39,999 🤔 , I think not 😂



BAD0E5F3-30F6-48E8-9A18-CF6E73143D8F.jpeg
 
I bet if I traded my GRY in at the same dealer they'd offer me 32k for it.
 
To those interested in the new CTR as an alternative, have you heard the suggestions that the price is going to start from £50k?!?

Apparently a few people have had calls from their dealers where they have a deposit in, asking if they are still interested at that price.
I have a holding deposit down and chased for an update but not heard anything. I wouldn’t be interested if it’s over £40k, let alone £50k. But agree it makes the GR86 look even better value than it currently is.

Might have to go for an i30/i20N as my inbetween car
 
I bet if I traded my GRY in at the same dealer they'd offer me 32k for it.
I'm interested to know what mine would offer. I'll ask them in February when I've cleared the balloon payment just out of curiosity... great to see prices strong!! lol! 😅 😂
 
I have a holding deposit down and chased for an update but not heard anything. I wouldn’t be interested if it’s over £40k, let alone £50k. But agree it makes the GR86 look even better value than it currently is.

Might have to go for an i30/i20N as my inbetween car

Got a call from my Honda dealership earlier... to tell me they still don't have any more information about CTR orders but haven't forgotten me. Looks like that might be a bit behind schedule too!
 
Got a call from my Honda dealership earlier... to tell me they still don't have any more information about CTR orders but haven't forgotten me. Looks like that might be a bit behind schedule too!
I still don’t understand why they can’t give an indicative price. Surely they have a rough idea of what they have to charge to make a profit?
 
Back
Top