It does seem to be a serious problem, lots of reports of breakages with and sometimes without obvious reason. Out of curiosity I did contact a plastic dipping company wondering if there was any possibility of dipping the grill in a bath of liquid plastic or something similar to thicken it up and coat it like a toffee apple. Answer was no, only works on metal.
I do still wonder though if the same idea might work with a glossy epoxy of some sort? Dip it in front side up, pull it out, let it drip and repeat a few times. The back would obviously need tidying up afterwards but can’t help thinking it’d be worth a try. Maybe some one with a broken grill sitting around could give it a go on a small scale?
Having said that, I’m with you griff, seems to be a good amount of evidence building to question the design, is it fit for purpose?
I do still wonder though if the same idea might work with a glossy epoxy of some sort? Dip it in front side up, pull it out, let it drip and repeat a few times. The back would obviously need tidying up afterwards but can’t help thinking it’d be worth a try. Maybe some one with a broken grill sitting around could give it a go on a small scale?
Having said that, I’m with you griff, seems to be a good amount of evidence building to question the design, is it fit for purpose?
