GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

Did you test it with the fixed buckets or the comfort seats? Mine has the comfort seats and doesn't feel high to me.

You're right about the handling, but that's only something you get from a mid-engine car, it's unique.

I can't wait for it to be fully run in!
You're bang on! The test vehicle had bucket seats - didnt like the height as well as lack of adjustability. When I mentioned to the sales advisor, he pointed me to a showroom car with 'adjustable' comfort seats. Tried those - Bingo - great seating position! Well done choosing those for your car (y)
 
You're bang on! The test vehicle had bucket seats - didnt like the height as well as lack of adjustability. When I mentioned to the sales advisor, he pointed me to a showroom car with 'adjustable' comfort seats. Tried those - Bingo - great seating position! Well done choosing those for your car (y)
You can lower the fixed buckets, three settings I think from memory but it involves a spanner.
 
You can lower the fixed buckets, three settings I think from memory but it involves a spanner.
Correct you can. I didn't like the angle of the back of the seat in the fixed bucket, I prefer to sit more upright than they were set to.
 
Correct you can. I didn't like the angle of the back of the seat in the fixed bucket, I prefer to sit more upright than they were set to.
Fair, I found it ok for a short period but definitely think that you made the right choice getting the adjustable ones. How are you getting on with it? I still can’t stop looking at them on Autotrader.
 
You can lower the fixed buckets, three settings I think from memory but it involves a spanner.
True - would take 45 mins in workshop to do so and yet only ‘height’ can be adjusted and not the back angle. Perhaps I am a bit too fussy 😊
Hopefully mods don't mind deviating away from Gazoo cars 😬
 
Lotus Exige maybe?
It sure would be a Lotus Elise - the next one!

Btw, I managed to get myself test drives of Emira and Cayman GTS 4.0 last week. I genuinely came back thanking my luck for securing the sweet GR86. Weight makes such a massive difference. Neither of these mighty 2.5x expensive cars that everyone goes gaga about did anything for me.. they felt less like sports cars and more like cruisers that'd without a doubt get you looks and attention. I'll keep my understated GR86 anyday, thank you very much!
God knows what they've done to the flat 6 in GTS 4.0, but it just doesn't sound right anymore. I'd have thought it to be due to GPF, but then even 86 should have a GPF filter, and still it sounds less adulterated and free-er-revving, if only a bit muted.
Last week actually made me understand why EVO had put GR86 right up there above those supercars in the ECOTY tests. At road legal speeds, when driven properly 86 is quite a thing, esp. when you evaluate the alternatives.

So yes, the only thing I'd personally replace it with will be an Elise :)
 
Last edited:
It sure would be a Lotus Elise - the next one!

Btw, I managed to get myself test drives of Emira and Cayman GTS 4.0 last week. I genuinely came back thanking my luck for securing the sweet GR86. Weight makes such a massive difference. Neither of these mighty 2.5x expensive cars that everyone goes gaga about did anything for me.. they felt less like sports cars and more like cruisers that'd without a doubt get your looks and attention. I'll keep my understated GR86 anyday, thank you very much!
God knows what they've done to the flat 6 in GTS 4.0, but it just doesn't sound right anymore. I'd have thought it to be due to GPF, but then even 86 should have a GPF filter, and still it sounds less adulterated and free-er-revving, if only a bit muted.
Last week actually made me understand why EVO had put GR86 right up there above those supercars in the ECOTY tests. At road legal speeds, when driven properly 86 is quite a thing, esp. when you evaluate the alternatives.

So yes, the only thing I'd personally replace it with will be an Elise :)
I had a go in a GTS 4.0 with the PSE optioned and thought it sounded quite nice but a full JCR system would likely make it sound epic. The gearing was as frustrating as I remember in the GT4 (manual) and although the chassis felt brilliant, I felt like I was only scratching the surface of its capabilities. A GR86 would be more fun more of the time, the grunt was nice though and like you said in Mexico Blue it had a lot of people looking!

Although rather than buying another car we’ve listed our house and are buying somewhere bigger.. 😂 A bit of a curveball but when we’re settled I think I’ll look for a low miles GRY. It ultimately felt like a better decision and nets me a bigger garage/man cave.
 
More photos needed to help us help you decide please :)

I'm not sure what I'd rather have if I'm honest, I'd probably lean toward the GR86 for the n/a engine. Which is ridiculous because the Renault must be a really special piece of machinery.
You asked...

IMG_6446.webpWhatsApp Image 2023-03-07 at 19.50.48 (1).webpWhatsApp Image 2023-03-07 at 19.50.48 (2).webpWhatsApp Image 2023-03-08 at 15.21.06.webpWhatsApp Image 2023-03-08 at 15.21.07.webpIMG_6446.webp
 
Love it

Has to be a special car surely - ~1100kg? I think I would prefer the Alpine if I'm honest, much as I love the GR86.
Yes, about that range.

I'm starting to lean that way and think as much as I like the look of the GR I think the Alpine is 'special'. Just need some dry weather to actually try the thing (once it's through the running in process)
 
Yes, about that range.

I'm starting to lean that way and think as much as I like the look of the GR I think the Alpine is 'special'. Just need some dry weather to actually try the thing (once it's through the running in process)
@RedGR86 how are you getting on with the A110 now we have some better weather?
 
Anyone who has already seen my recent post at #4,656 on the Delivery Tracking and Collection thread will know that I cancelled my order for a GR 86 and my reasons for coming to that decision.

However, as indicated in the above-mentioned post, there is a little more to the story than that... Clause 18.2 of Toyota (GB) PLC's (TGB) New Car Buy Online Terms and Conditions provides that the person ordering a car can transfer his or her right to buy the car to another person with TGB's written consent. I ascertained what the process was and then asked Toyota Buy Online for written consent to assign what would have been my GR 86 to another member of this forum who had also ordered an Ice Silver car, but was at the end of the queue.

Simply put, my proposition was that TGB would donate the last GR 86 to be registered here in the UK - ideally with the Registration No. GR 86 if available - to Prostate Cancer UK (PCUK). PCUK and TGB would have then jointly promoted and run a national advertising campaign to raise both awareness of Prostate Cancer and generate funds for the charity. Toyota GAZOO Racing UK would have included PCUK's branding in the liveries of the three Toyota Corollas which will be competing in the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) for the duration of this season.

Why PCUK? Well, having had a Radical Prostatectomy back in January 2009 and been effectively in the clear since then, my PSA level is now slowly heading up to what will – according to my Consultant Clinical Oncologist – be a Biochemical Recurrence which he currently predicts will occur in approximately a year’s time.

However, what brought the need to promote PCUK into even sharper focus for me were the circumstances which led to one of my oldest friends being diagnosed with the disease a few weeks before Christmas - based on his own experience, my friend had already written to PCUK's Chief Executive expressing his desire to assist in any campaign to help ensure that men reporting urinary problems should, by right, have a regular PSA test programme made available to them, even if the initial examination did not indicate an issue. I reckoned that the demographic of BTCC audiences – both at the tracks and on ITV1/ITV4 – would be a pretty close match with the target demographic of any PCUK campaign and so was really keen to help my friend.

Unfortunately, but perhaps understandably, TGB replied that my proposal was "very noble" and the company understood my motivation, but then added:

"...as a global organisation, we are committed to being a good corporate citizen everywhere in the world we operate.

In the UK, we complement our global work with national and local sponsorship and donations organised through the ‘Toyota Fund for a Better Tomorrow’ - our programme of small community grants, up to the value of £2,000.

Given the nature of our business, we tend to focus on opportunities relating to the environment, road safety and technical education."


I will leave the other members of this forum to make their own judgments about TGB's current Corporate Social Responsibility Policy as outlined above. However, suffice to say, I am now working on a Plan B - one which might potentially involve another front-running BTCC Team. so fingers crossed!
Any update on your endeavours @CTG 300 , and/or how we can perhaps support your initiatives?
 
Well, someone in the waiting list is about to get a nice surprise! After much thought I've decided to cancel. For me, the novelty has worn off during the long time I've been waiting, and I'm just not feeling the excitement I should be. This isn't a slight on the GR86 either, it's more about me finding driving less fun than I used to, and I'd probably worry a lot more about a precious new car! I hope it goes to an excited enthusiast who just missed out on the first cut. Have fun in it, whoever you are!
 
Well, someone in the waiting list is about to get a nice surprise! After much thought I've decided to cancel. For me, the novelty has worn off during the long time I've been waiting, and I'm just not feeling the excitement I should be. This isn't a slight on the GR86 either, it's more about me finding driving less fun than I used to, and I'd probably worry a lot more about a precious new car! I hope it goes to an excited enthusiast who just missed out on the first cut. Have fun in it, whoever you are!
After some deliberation, I've done the same! There's lots to like and back in the days when we had no kids it would have been perfect. Sadly two kids and a dog later, it's a bit tricky having another toy.

Red one coming up for someone soon.
 
Props to you both for cancelling rather than flipping for profit.
Thanks. To be honest, not one that crossed my mind. The time / hassle spent on that hardly merits the premium and I also have a small issue re storage space. Pay for a garage or park in a London street collecting dents. No thanks.
 
Another one back in the pot. After my test drive yesterday I couldn't buy so have now cancelled. Although the journey from April 2022 has been long the length of my order has just reached double figures in days. I hope you all enjoy your cars -it is just not for me.
 
Back
Top