GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

I have cancelled my order as of this afternoon. With the tiny mileage I'm now doing I'm finding it harder to justify any new car, even one as peachy as the GR86. Not interested in taking delivery and flipping it; I just want an enthusiast to enjoy it as I would have done.

All the best to you folks, and to whomever gets my allocation. Cheers!
That's a shame, sort of!

Where had you made it to in the order process? Will be interesting to see if we can work out who gets your car / place.
 
5D941E00-A9FF-4C49-8365-B3C78155ABE5.webp


Yes it's dirty, but the drive home from the dealer was a mucky one. The question is, will this car get under my skin enough this summer for me to cancel my GR order...
 
View attachment 13955

Yes it's dirty, but the drive home from the dealer was a mucky one. The question is, will this car get under my skin enough this summer for me to cancel my GR order...

More photos needed to help us help you decide please :)

I'm not sure what I'd rather have if I'm honest, I'd probably lean toward the GR86 for the n/a engine. Which is ridiculous because the Renault must be a really special piece of machinery.
 
More photos needed to help us help you decide please :)

I'm not sure what I'd rather have if I'm honest, I'd probably lean toward the GR86 for the n/a engine. Which is ridiculous because the Renault must be a really special piece of machinery.
Shame the Alpine doesn't come with a manual gearbox option.

Caveat: I haven't driven the Alpine and the existing gearbox may well be brilliant and suit the car perfectly.

Congratulations on your collection @RedGR86 .
 
Such a cool car - looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it as an 86 alternative…
I'm interested as well! Oddly it's was always my 3rd choice, had an Emira on order which has been cancelled, and I'm an 11:15am order for the GR86. This was the only car that showed up! Everybody raves about it, I'm just looking forward to getting the first 650 odd miles out of the way so I can use it fully.

More photos needed to help us help you decide please :)

I'm not sure what I'd rather have if I'm honest, I'd probably lean toward the GR86 for the n/a engine. Which is ridiculous because the Renault must be a really special piece of machinery.
Once it's clean, I'll share some!
 
Great car, I’m sure that you will enjoy it. It was my first choice before I heard how good the GR86 was. The continuous price increases by Alpine just make it look very expensive compared to the 86, but a wonderful car with an amazing chassis. You have a very challenging decision ahead of you. Strangely glad it’s not me having to make it, but then there isn’t a wrong choice here.
 
Great car, I’m sure that you will enjoy it. It was my first choice before I heard how good the GR86 was. The continuous price increases by Alpine just make it look very expensive compared to the 86, but a wonderful car with an amazing chassis. You have a very challenging decision ahead of you. Strangely glad it’s not me having to make it, but then there isn’t a wrong choice here.
I got lucky and managed to beat the APR and price increases! Ordered it in September, don't know if I would do the same thing on today's terms
 
The guy who purchased my gr86 did so following a110 ownership. He suggested it spent a lot of time at the dealers.
I have spoken to a few owners that said paint was a particular issue. One poor chap had an orange A110 S, just got it back from Alpine for that reason and put it backwards into the barriers at Quarry corner, Castle Combe.
 
The guy who purchased my gr86 did so following a110 ownership. He suggested it spent a lot of time at the dealers.
There has been an issue with fuel pumps in the early builds, mine has the updated part, so hopefully I won't suffer as others have.
 
There has been an issue with fuel pumps in the early builds, mine has the updated part, so hopefully I won't suffer as others have.
This was my main concern when I was looking at an Alpine as a contender - not huge issues but since there is no dealership at all in Ireland/ Northern Ireland, it would be too easy to find myself properly stuffed even for something relatively minor 🥴
Ferry ride to Glasgow for a standard service I could live with, but a random warning light or glitch, not so much…
Obviously not A110 specific and I’d feel the same for any newish car if there was no dealership in the whole country(!)
Damn, they look so good though… jealous…
 
View attachment 13955

Yes it's dirty, but the drive home from the dealer was a mucky one. The question is, will this car get under my skin enough this summer for me to cancel my GR order...
Wasn't sure if I should post it on Confessions thread or here.. but here it is.. as it is your post that prompted me to book a test drive of Alpine A110 for this afternoon.

Went with very little expectation after reading the Evo article by Steve Sutcliffe hailing GR86 over A110. Even bought that issue along with ECOTY and other few for my 'collection' to celebrate GR86.

When I got in the car, the seating position didn't impress me much. Steering angle was more like a family car and less like a sports car - instant point to GR86.
Started the car, put it in Sport mode - for the first few minutes, I missed the N/A engine and shifter, to the extent that the car seemed to lack the engagement. The Alpine took a point for the sound track though - nothing like a flat six, but at least it was there and made you feel like you are driving a sports car, and was not bad at all.

Fifteen minutes into the test drive, I started getting hang of it, and managed to clear the road traffic and onto the B roads. And this is where I'd like to confess and apologise in advance to all the fellow GR Zoo mates for what I am about to say - the way that car handled, it simply blew me away!

The car was flowing through the roads like a river! Even though I prefer stiff suspension, I liked it a lot. The steering was so precise, that I felt more confident in that little car within the first 15 mins than I have been in 86 after a month of ownership. It felt like A110 was doing exactly what I was asking it to.. it broke traction on turns and circles when I wanted it to.. how much ever I wanted it to.. unlike 86 that inconsistently catches every now and then. Right after the test drive I drove 86 on the same roads, same turns, and in the same way / equally hard.. and it was breaking traction a lot more awkwardly raising eyebrows on the road.. perhaps making me seem like a hooligan.

The lightness of A110 was screaming fun loud and clear every time I steered the car even by half a degree, and the mid-engine rotation made every turn-in an absolute joy. You could go sideways on your regular roundabouts, like those in Chris Harris track videos.

At the end, I didn't like A110's seating position, the luxury-car like (non-sports car-like) interiors, and the turbo lag (which was noticeable during spirited driving). The latter in particular has been a deal breaker for me every time I've test driven a turbo car. But man the way this car handled, trumped everything else and that by a fair margin. I don't think I'd even look at heavy Porsches after today's experience, which is a shame as I wanted to buy and grow old with a GT4 and take it with me to heaven (or hell) as the absolute pinnacle of automotive engineering, before electric machines take over the humanity.
 
Last edited:
Now I’ve seen that clipping from EVO I am curious about that MX5, with the price much closer to to 86 and I’m guessing it would be much easier to come by. I’m starting to think I won’t find an 86 without paying a huge premium over the list price.
 
Wasn't sure if I should post it on Confessions thread or here.. but here it is.. as it is your post that prompted me to book a test drive of Alpine A110 for this afternoon.

Went with very little expectation after reading the Evo article by Steve Sutcliffe hailing GR86 over A110. Even bought that issue along with ECOTY and other few for my 'collection' to celebrate GR86.

When I got in the car, the seating position didn't impress me much. Steering angle was more like a family car and less like a sports car - instant point to GR86.
Started the car, put it in sports mode - for the first few minutes, I missed the N/A engine and shifter, to the extent that the car seemed to lack the engagement. The Alpine took a point for the sound track though - nothing like a flat six, but at least it was there and made you feel like you are driving a sports car, and was not bad at all.

Fifteen minutes into the test drive, I started getting hang of it, and managed to clear the road traffic and onto the B roads. And this is where I'd like to confess and apologise in advance to all the fellow GR Zoo mates for what I am about to say - the way that car handled, it simply blew me away!

The car was flowing through the roads like a river! Even though I prefer stiff suspension, I liked it a lot. The steering was so precise, that I felt more confident in that little car within the first 15 mins than I have been in 86 after a month of ownership. It felt like A110 was doing exactly what I was asking it to.. it broke traction on turns and circles when I wanted it to.. how much ever I wanted it to.. unlike 86 that inconsistently catches every now and then. Right after the test drive I drove 86 on the same roads, same turns, and in the same way / equally hard.. and it was breaking traction a lot more awkwardly raising eyebrows on the road.. perhaps making me seem like a hooligan.

The lightness of A110 was screaming fun loud and clear every time I steered the car even by half a degree, and the mid-engine rotation made every turn-in an absolute joy. You could go sideways on your regular roundabouts, like those in Chris Harris track videos.

At the end, I didn't like A110's seating position, the luxury-car like (non-sports car-like) interiors, and the turbo lag (which was noticeable during spirited driving). The latter in particular has been a deal breaker for me every time I've test driven a turbo car. But man the way this car handled, trumped everything else and that by a fair margin. I don't think I'd even look at heavy Porsches after today's experience, which is a shame as I wanted to buy and grow old with a GT4 and take it with me to heaven (or hell) as the absolute pinnacle of automotive engineering, before electric machines take over the humanity.
Did you test it with the fixed buckets or the comfort seats? Mine has the comfort seats and doesn't feel high to me.

You're right about the handling, but that's only something you get from a mid-engine car, it's unique.

I can't wait for it to be fully run in!
 
Back
Top