GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

My Honda dealer won't take a deposit until the price is announced.
ever-had-deja.jpg


People getting deposits in at dealers and mine saying the above was the reason I looked for online ordering in the first place!
 
Potential new car day, but not the one I was expecting!

Viewing an MX5 Nc2 later, which could have a bearing on my GR86 order, but not decided yet.
 
Potential new car day, but not the one I was expecting!

Viewing an MX5 Nc2 later, which could have a bearing on my GR86 order, but not decided yet.
As an NC daily driver for the last 8 years NC1 1.8 and now NC3 2.0 sportech Ive learnt a fair bit about them!! If you want any advice or a trip out in mine as we seem to be very local then please do ask.
 
As an NC daily driver for the last 8 years NC1 1.8 and now NC3 2.0 sportech Ive learnt a fair bit about them!! If you want any advice or a trip out in mine as we seem to be very local then please do ask.
Much appreciated, I'm away most of this week but will give you a shout at the weekend 👍
 
Well I must say, after hearing about the servicing price hike last week I was feeling a bit disillusioned with the whole GR86.



Expensive servicing, possible engine issues and low availability. These were all issues that initially pushed me away from high performance German cars and into the arms of Toyota, but now it seems like they are just as prevalent here. All this got me thinking whether I was making the wrong choice, I could have a significantly faster German hot hatch within a week. Or maybe I should just do what I always wanted and buy an MX5 RF, I don’t need to carry things, do I? Friday was an afternoon of big thoughts.



So on Saturday I drove on down to my local Audi dealer and plopped myself into an S3, a car I had always thought about driving. And boy was I disappointed. It was just so bland. Fast? Yes. Competent? Undeniably. But I was completely uninvolved in the whole process. Once I got past the initial jolts of speed, I could see little reason to buy this over an A3. The steering was uncommunicative in every mode I put it in, not even an artificial stiffening like you get in a MK8 GTI, which left the whole thing feeling somewhat disconnected. I felt confident doing silly speeds in a straight line, but round a bend, I don’t think I could ever have faith to push the car to its limits. It told me nothing.



And so on Sunday I hopped over to Mazda and took a spin in a 2022 RF in a lovely shade of blue with white interior. And the joy of driving came flooding back. These cars are just great, 50 with the roof down felt like 100 in the s3 (I imagine…). The steering in this new model felt better than the 2016 I last drove, much keener to return to centre. I took the car past my house on the test drive and I tried to fit some of the bare essentials that I would often need in the boot. And it was impossible. I’m afraid no amount of driving pleasure could make up for the fact I couldn’t fit my suit, work and football bag in the boot, let alone anything more unusual. Oh and also I don’t fit in them, but you know, roof down. Therefore, I think I can now conclusively say the MX5 is too small to be my only car. That’s it, I’ve said it. Seriously … for now.



So where does this leave me? Well right back on board with the GR86, October cant come fast enough. Driving these two gave me a good appreciation for the car we have on order, as there really is nothing that compares, aside from an older GT86. I want a car that is involving whilst also at least pretending to be practical and I think the GR is the ultimate choice here.



Wobble over, I am now fully back on side with the 86. Toyota I believe in you!



Also, as an aside, whilst wasting many a dealers’ time, I fired up a V8 F type and, after honing about in the MX5, I just couldn’t imagine pushing that thing round a B road! It felt massive! Made me feel like a child sitting deep inside their parents car seat, and I’m 6,4!
 
Last edited:
Well I must say, after hearing about the servicing price hike last week I was feeling a bit disillusioned with the whole GR86.



Expensive servicing, possible engine issues and low availability. These were all issues that initially pushed me away from high performance German cars and into the arms of Toyota, but now it seems like they are just as prevalent here. All this got me thinking whether I was making the wrong choice, I could have a significantly faster German hot hatch within a week. Or maybe I should just do what I always wanted and buy an MX5 RF, I don’t need to carry things, do I? Friday was an afternoon of big thoughts.



So on Saturday I drove on down to my local Audi dealer and plopped myself into an S3, a car I had always thought about driving. And boy was I disappointed. It was just so bland. Fast? Yes. Competent? Undeniably. But I was completely uninvolved in the whole process. Once I got past the initial jolts of speed, I could see little reason to buy this over an A3. The steering was uncommunicative in every mode I put it in, not even an artificial stiffening like you get in a MK8 GTI, which left the whole thing feeling somewhat disconnected. I felt confident doing silly speeds in a straight line, but round a bend, I don’t think I could ever have faith to push the car to its limits. It told me nothing.



And so on Sunday I hopped over to Mazda and took a spin in a 2022 RF in a lovely shade of blue with white interior. And the joy of driving came flooding back. These cars are just great, 50 with the roof down felt like 100 in the s3 (I imagine…). The steering in this new model felt better than the 2016 I last drove, much keener to return to centre. I took the car past my house on the test drive and I tried to fit some of the bare essentials that I would often need in the boot. And it was impossible. I’m afraid no amount of driving pleasure could make up for the fact I couldn’t fit my suit, work and football bag in the boot, let alone anything more unusual. Oh and also I don’t fit in them, but you know, roof down. Therefore, I think I can now conclusively say the MX5 is too small to be my only car. That’s it, I’ve said it. Seriously … for now.



So where does this leave me? Well right back on board with the GR86, October cant come fast enough. Driving these two gave me a good appreciation for the car we have on order, as there really is nothing that compares, aside from an older GT86. I want a car that is involving whilst also at least pretending to be practical and I think the GR is the ultimate choice here.



Wobble over, I am now fully back on side with the 86. Toyota I believe in you!



Also, as an aside, whilst wasting many a dealers’ time, I fired up a V8 F type and, after honing about in the MX5, I just couldn’t imagine pushing that thing round a B road! It felt massive! Made me feel like a child sitting deep inside their parents car seat, and I’m 6,4!
Great to hear your feedback. I think you have a similar idea of what you want out of a car as me, it's not just about how fast you get down the road, it's more about the fun you have whilst doing it.
I had a F-Type and got rid of it in less than a year, it just feels massive and makes you wince when something is coming towards you in a narrow twisty country lane.
 
Well I must say, after hearing about the servicing price hike last week I was feeling a bit disillusioned with the whole GR86.



Expensive servicing, possible engine issues and low availability. These were all issues that initially pushed me away from high performance German cars and into the arms of Toyota, but now it seems like they are just as prevalent here. All this got me thinking whether I was making the wrong choice, I could have a significantly faster German hot hatch within a week. Or maybe I should just do what I always wanted and buy an MX5 RF, I don’t need to carry things, do I? Friday was an afternoon of big thoughts.



So on Saturday I drove on down to my local Audi dealer and plopped myself into an S3, a car I had always thought about driving. And boy was I disappointed. It was just so bland. Fast? Yes. Competent? Undeniably. But I was completely uninvolved in the whole process. Once I got past the initial jolts of speed, I could see little reason to buy this over an A3. The steering was uncommunicative in every mode I put it in, not even an artificial stiffening like you get in a MK8 GTI, which left the whole thing feeling somewhat disconnected. I felt confident doing silly speeds in a straight line, but round a bend, I don’t think I could ever have faith to push the car to its limits. It told me nothing.



And so on Sunday I hopped over to Mazda and took a spin in a 2022 RF in a lovely shade of blue with white interior. And the joy of driving came flooding back. These cars are just great, 50 with the roof down felt like 100 in the s3 (I imagine…). The steering in this new model felt better than the 2016 I last drove, much keener to return to centre. I took the car past my house on the test drive and I tried to fit some of the bare essentials that I would often need in the boot. And it was impossible. I’m afraid no amount of driving pleasure could make up for the fact I couldn’t fit my suit, work and football bag in the boot, let alone anything more unusual. Oh and also I don’t fit in them, but you know, roof down. Therefore, I think I can now conclusively say the MX5 is too small to be my only car. That’s it, I’ve said it. Seriously … for now.



So where does this leave me? Well right back on board with the GR86, October cant come fast enough. Driving these two gave me a good appreciation for the car we have on order, as there really is nothing that compares, aside from an older GT86. I want a car that is involving whilst also at least pretending to be practical and I think the GR is the ultimate choice here.



Wobble over, I am now fully back on side with the 86. Toyota I believe in you!



Also, as an aside, whilst wasting many a dealers’ time, I fired up a V8 F type and, after honing about in the MX5, I just couldn’t imagine pushing that thing round a B road! It felt massive! Made me feel like a child sitting deep inside their parents car seat, and I’m 6,4!

Came to the same conclusion before I even ordered. VAG group hatches are competent but dull, MX5 I don't fit, F Type are massive and don't do speed bumps well. The GR86 is in budget and works for me. I don't have thousands to drop on another car. If I did the M2 Comp may have swayed but I'd struggle hard to justify that. I have stuff in the house I want to get done.
 
I’m having a slight wobble. I’m a 10.43 car and I really don’t know if I can wait until ‘sometime’ next year.

My current car is on its last legs, will cost a small fortune to get through MOT, looking to move jobs and won’t be suitable for a longer commute. Used Supras are looking very tempting right now.
 
I’m having a slight wobble. I’m a 10.43 car and I really don’t know if I can wait until ‘sometime’ next year.

My current car is on its last legs, will cost a small fortune to get through MOT, looking to move jobs and won’t be suitable for a longer commute. Used Supras are looking very tempting right now.
I'm really wobbling myself, I'm in the lucky position of having a company car & the 86 was always going to be a fun car but now with more time to think I'm questioning whether it's the right car for me & whether I can even justify having it, I mean I may need that 30k for next year's energy bill!😂
 
I’m having a slight wobble. I’m a 10.43 car and I really don’t know if I can wait until ‘sometime’ next year.

My current car is on its last legs, will cost a small fortune to get through MOT, looking to move jobs and won’t be suitable for a longer commute. Used Supras are looking very tempting right now.
If you can find someone with one in stock or coming in soon. With the difference in APR new works out cheaper than Second hand for the most part
 
I’ve not driven a Supra so not sure how they feel to a GT86 but I have an M135 F40 and it’s boring to drive even with 305hp.
Do the Supra’s not feel heavy and being auto much like a BMW ?
 
Thanks all....what strikes me is the lack of responses suggesting that my giving up a GRY is madness. Convinced I'd doing the right thing, especially if I get the £35k for it
 
I’ve not driven a Supra so not sure how they feel to a GT86 but I have an M135 F40 and it’s boring to drive even with 305hp.
Do the Supra’s not feel heavy and being auto much like a BMW ?
I dont find my Supra to feel heavy, as for being like a BMW, well, I mean, the engine is a Beamer I cant compare it unfortunately because I've never driven one, until I got my Supra that is haha
 
Back
Top