GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

If the new Type R comes in less than 40k my focus will be on replacing my FK8 with one. Its due early next year so may well be here before the 86 anyway.
TBH we are enjoying our MX5 so much this summer I am loathed to sell it which was the original idea to replace it with the 86.
I won't be cancelling my order, but I have lost interest, the Engine worries don't bother me at all, the lack of communication does.
 
Very sad! I suppose one has to keep the faith of how we all felt back earlier in the year when we were excited by the car and delighted that we'd managed to be one of the few to secure an order. But I do understand that waiting around, with zero communication from Toyota and lots of rumour and uncertainty filling the gap causes one to doubt one's initial conviction that this was the right way to go. Having said that, if I was having to wait until 2023 or even 2024 I might have a change of heart and gone back to getting an old 911 or new(er) Cayman.
Yeah, having Friends Green Porsche nearby definitely doesn't help, they have a very tidy early carrera 2 in stock at the moment....
 
Yeah, having Friends Green Porsche nearby definitely doesn't help, they have a very tidy early carrera 2 in stock at the moment....
Those early 996s are very appealing now - they seem quite dainty compared to the modern monstrosities. In the end though, I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that a Toyota with a 10 year warranty would be less of a pain to own!
 
Those early 996s are very appealing now - they seem quite dainty compared to the modern monstrosities. In the end though, I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that a Toyota with a 10 year warranty would be less of a pain to own!
Very true, I had a lovely early Boxster that was great, but I wouldn't want to be doing too much mileage in it, purely because I didn't quite trust it and the maintenance costs added up pretty quickly.
 
Ha ha indeed I previously had a 968 sport with full factory M030 kit and after that an e30 m3 evolution 2 both very good condition low milage. I found the engines in both of them underwhelming.

Strangely I had a 944S2 and that was a better car than both of them. Hoping I am not going to be disappointed with the GR86 coming from an F56 mini works 210. Also have a mk2 MR2 and perfectly happy with that so it’s staying. A lot of the 90s cars are massively over hyped (priced) in my experience.
I'd agree with you on the over hyped / pricing front. I had an integrale evo 2 which was good value at the time and whilst I loved owning it, they are no way worth the £100K+ that some go for now.
 
I'd agree with you on the over hyped / pricing front. I had an integrale evo 2 which was good value at the time and whilst I loved owning it, they are no way worth the £100K+ that some go for now.
Integrate lovely car but I agree that not worth 100k . 40k would be a worthwhile proposition. I had a 964rs in as new condition bought for 36k and it was a special car that I could see being worth 100k but there now 200k in that condition. Makes me wonder if we are heading for a major correction on classic car prices. There are currently so many fantastic cars being made we must be reaching oversupply of weekend cars.
 
Integrate lovely car but I agree that not worth 100k . 40k would be a worthwhile proposition. I had a 964rs in as new condition bought for 36k and it was a special car that I could see being worth 100k but there now 200k in that condition. Makes me wonder if we are heading for a major correction on classic car prices. There are currently so many fantastic cars being made we must be reaching oversupply of weekend cars.
I think so. Maybe not soon, but I'm sure it will happen. I really can't see many people wanting and be willing to pay the money that's currently being commanded for 80-00's petrol enthusiasts cars, especially when it gets more difficult to keep them going and most lose interest. Now what about reliving my youth and buying that £20K evo 2 in my retirement? 🤣
 
Last edited:
Looking at the woes on this thread I'm kind of relieved that I didn't manage to get one. Got a 230i coming 1st Sept which makes me feel even better. A 2024 delivery time is an absolute shambles from Toyota.
 
Well. I test drove the Supra today and it completely won me over.

It was sat in the showroom. Unregistered. I got the car wow price from Hendy Toyota in Bournemouth and have an APR of 2.9% which I’m pretty damn happy with.

Brilliant buying experience from Adam at Hendy Bournemouth. Would highly recommend them to anyone. It’s nice to speak to a guy that understand why you want a Supra.

I told him I had a GR86 on order and we talked for awhile about the whole situation. Great guy. He said they had had a lot of disappointed buyers on the day.

Anyway. I pick up my brand new Supra 2.0 on Friday (possibly before) and I really can’t wait.

41F6DE45-3D7B-4AFE-9210-4909EF318A1F.jpeg


A1F94BA7-79F9-4463-B8AC-287B62BB99F5.webp


32CDBF33-4957-4AF2-8D49-03B81D3A0099.webp


2A663DA4-3298-4567-8C22-195AD1B89E0F.webp
 
Well. I test drove the Supra today and it completely won me over.

It was sat in the showroom. Unregistered. I got the car wow price from Hendy Toyota in Bournemouth and have an APR of 2.9% which I’m pretty damn happy with.

Brilliant buying experience from Adam at Hendy Bournemouth. Would highly recommend them to anyone. It’s nice to speak to a guy that understand why you want a Supra.

I told him I had a GR86 on order and we talked for awhile about the whole situation. Great guy. He said they had had a lot of disappointed buyers on the day.

Anyway. I pick up my brand new Supra 2.0 on Friday (possibly before) and I really can’t wait.

View attachment 6884
Looks mega and tempted IF my GR86 doesn’t live up to expectation I be jumping up the ladder! Guess it’s Auto… was it fun. So you cancelling your GR 86 then?
 
Looks mega and tempted IF my GR86 doesn’t live up to expectation I be jumping up the ladder! Guess it’s Auto… was it fun. So you cancelling your GR 86 then?
Yep its the ZF8 auto, which had been the only thing holding me back.

But I'm glad I gave it the chance, my experience of autos have been a Honda Civic Coupe from the 90's which I was no great fan of, but did the job at the time. And the CVT box in the wife's HRV.
It's certainly no CVT box, that's for sure.

I found the 8 speed really responsive, enough in normal mode to make good progress and overtake without feeling like the car didn't want to play (with some slight lag as you would expect) and really engaging in Sport mode, it really wanted to hold the best of the gear (at least that's what it felt like).
Paddles on the steering wheel felt good and response, although not my thing. I preferred using the actual gear stick to row up and down gears.
Would highly recommend taking a Supra out for a test drive is the only worry is the box.

Plus, on the up side, being an auto you also get the automatic cruise.
The 2 litre apparently also returns 39.7mpg (claimed) but we'll see about that :ROFLMAO:

Other bonuses: I got 2 thumbs up from pedestrians, a beep and a wave from another motorist and there was a couple test driving a RAV4 at the same time that we 'spiritedly' drove past who spent 5 minutes asking us all about it back at the dealership. It certainly engaged my 'look at me' smile :cool:


The wife made a high pitched squealy noise when I hit the accelerator hard in sport mode and proceeded to give me a good telling off when I accidentally got tail happy on a roundabout :ROFLMAO:
Shes also claimed some driving time, which she never would have done in the GR

Other interesting info the GFV between the Supra 2.0 and Supra 3.0 pro is only around £1000 and I was told they had sold many more 2.0litre than 3.0litre supras.

With the GR I haven't cancelled it yet. I'm in 2 minds what to do about it, although whilst I was at the dealer they said they had been told that no cars were being released until 2023 so who knows. My old man was talking about how he'd wanted a new car, he may well want my 86 and if we change the colour he can just wait to get it early 24.
 
Last edited:
If it wasn’t for two young children I would cancel and get the Supra in an instance. Looks epic!
I'm lucky in the sense that, at the moment, I dont have any... although hoping that will change in future the wife has the HRV and I asked her, honestly, would she want to strap little ones in the back of a GR86 or just take her car everywhere for family drives (I think shell end up with a RAV4 or CRV later on anyway). She said shed rather take hers, so using some 'man logic' I declared it was fine for me to have a 2 seater then :ROFLMAO:
 
Yep its the ZF8 auto, which had been the only thing holding me back.

But I'm glad I gave it the chance, my experience of autos have been a Honda Civic Coupe from the 90's which I was no great fan of, but did the job at the time. And the CVT box in the wife's HRV.
It's certainly no CVT box, that's for sure.

I found the 8 speed really responsive, enough in normal mode to make good progress and overtake without feeling like the car didn't want to play (with some slight lag as you would expect) and really engaging in Sport mode, it really wanted to hold the best of the gear (at least that's what it felt like).
Paddles on the steering wheel felt good and response, although not my thing. I preferred using the actual gear stick to row up and down gears.
Would highly recommend taking a Supra out for a test drive is the only worry is the box.

Plus, on the up side, being an auto you also get the automatic cruise.
The 2 litre apparently also returns 39.7mpg (claimed) but we'll see about that :ROFLMAO:

Other bonuses: I got 2 thumbs up from pedestrians, a beep and a wave from another motorist and there was a couple test driving a RAV4 at the same time that we 'spiritedly' drove past who spent 5 minutes asking us all about it back at the dealership. It certainly engaged my 'look at me' smile :cool:

With the GR I haven't cancelled it yet. I'm in 2 minds what to do about it, although whilst I was at the dealer they said they had been told that no cars were being released until 2023 so who knows. My old man was talking about how he'd wanted a new car, he may well want my 86.

The wife made a high pitched squealy noise when I hit the accelerator hard in sport mode and proceeded to give me a good telling off when I accidentally got tail happy on a roundabout :ROFLMAO:
Shes also claimed some driving time, which she never would have done in the GR

Other interesting info the GFV between the Supra 2.0 and Supra 3.0 pro is only around £1000 and I was told they had sold many more 2.0litre than 3.0litre supras.
Yeah it’s a great box the ZF had it before… going to be tempting …. sticking with the GR86 myself. But one day when funds permit…who knows if you believe the hype the GR86 may one day be worth the same as the Supra 🧐
 
Well. I test drove the Supra today and it completely won me over.

It was sat in the showroom. Unregistered. I got the car wow price from Hendy Toyota in Bournemouth and have an APR of 2.9% which I’m pretty damn happy with.

Brilliant buying experience from Adam at Hendy Bournemouth. Would highly recommend them to anyone. It’s nice to speak to a guy that understand why you want a Supra.

I told him I had a GR86 on order and we talked for awhile about the whole situation. Great guy. He said they had had a lot of disappointed buyers on the day.

Anyway. I pick up my brand new Supra 2.0 on Friday (possibly before) and I really can’t wait.

View attachment 6884
Congratulations on your purchase @LU71KEE , really pleased to see a positive outcome. Car looks fantastic.

I just read what you'd put about your wife and my 'speed restrictor' across the room laughed
 
I'm lucky in the sense that, at the moment, I dont have any... although hoping that will change in future the wife has the HRV and I asked her, honestly, would she want to strap little ones in the back of a GR86 or just take her car everywhere for family drives (I think shell end up with a RAV4 or CRV later on anyway). She said shed rather take hers, so using some 'man logic' I declared it was fine for me to have a 2 seater then :ROFLMAO:
I’ve tried using that Logic but know there is always the odd day where I will need to collect them from Nursery / School. I don’t think it would go down well with me asking one of them to lay down in the boot. :ROFLMAO:
 
Congratulations on your purchase @LU71KEE , really pleased to see a positive outcome. Car looks fantastic.

I just read what you'd put about your wife and my 'speed restrictor' across the room laughed
Thanks! I'm actually quite happy that it means I can keep banging around the GR Zoo community as well!
 
Looking at the woes on this thread I'm kind of relieved that I didn't manage to get one. Got a 230i coming 1st Sept which makes me feel even better. A 2024 delivery time is an absolute shambles from Toyota.
Congratulations on your car purchase @Bonovox .

I must confess I'm absolutely baffled by BMWs nowadays. What is the 230i spec? I had a 130i back in the noughties and that was a small rwd hatchback with a six cylinder engine. But today I saw a 2xx something or other that looked like a people carrier lifestyle thing.

Not being facetious, I genuinely don't know!
 
Back
Top