GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

Silver Fox

Totally Hooked
May 7, 2022
Toyota showroom's up and down the land hastily PDI'ing GR86's ready to start taking orders on the UK's next allocation.

Anyone wanting a GR86 won't be paying over the odds for one, and certainly not until production ends in 2024.

People looking to sell may get 32-33k at a push, if someone really wants one right now, dealers certainly won't be paying more than RRP.
download.png

• Haha
Reactions: PaulT

JonBon

Obsessed member
Apr 23, 2022
East Sussex
Toyota showroom's up and down the land hastily PDI'ing GR86's ready to start taking orders on the UK's next allocation.

Anyone wanting a GR86 won't be paying over the odds for one, and certainly not until production ends in 2024.

People looking to sell may get 32-33k at a push, if someone really wants one right now, dealers certainly won't be paying more than RRP.

Highly doubtful, It has been 8 months since the order books opened and they haven't delivered a single car to the UK.

LU71KEE

Totally Hooked
Feb 23, 2022
Portsmouth, Hampshire

This type of wildly unfounded theory reminds me of the chap that left the forum before…

v8s

Totally Hooked
Apr 15, 2022
Jaytango just needs to sit with the order page open and refresh every 5 minutes so they don't miss the opportunity to order one in the next allocation for 2025.

LU71KEE

Totally Hooked
Feb 23, 2022
Portsmouth, Hampshire
Had an interesting discussion with a dealer this week, who thought that if they had an 86 come in with delivery miles they'd put it up for 34995 and see what happens.
And that the GR Yaris has gone up 2 grand, not that you can order one, so you'd be looking at a tart price of 31995 for an 86 now...
Certainly makes it difficult to know what to ask for anyone moving theirs on.

Reactions: doogle83

doogle83

Totally Hooked
Apr 7, 2022
Berkshire
www.instagram.com
Toyota actually changed the list price of the Yaris on the website even though you couldn't order a new one, the 86 is still showing at the original price currently.

£35k feels fair IMO, I'd have thought main dealers would try for £36k.

Sure we'll find out soon enough!

Reactions: beorg and LU71KEE

Gal14

Absorbed member
Apr 17, 2022
Manchester
I find this resale price discussion really interesting.

Just to play devils advocate a little to the above logic - I do believe drawing parallels to the GR Yaris' second hand sales is probably the best way to go, but you could argue they differ in a few ways which could genuinely impact resale values;

1. 1000's vs 100's available.
  2. Similarly priced alternatives* available vs This or a 10 Y.O Porsche.
  3. Nearly 50% of the 1st UK owners are on this forum - arguably showing a high proportion of enthusiast owners who see this as a last chance saloon for this kind of car. You're essentially pricing in someone deciding they never want to experience owning this type of car (with a manufacturer warranty etc).
Personally I plan to hang onto the car for as long as possible (I do very few miles, so value should stay high). I do admit though there is a number at which I would have to put some thought to flipping (and it's definitely more than +£4k over RRP).

*Don't take my above comparisons as me dismissing the Yaris, I understand it is a special car and I would absolutely love one of those too! I also recognise we live in a different economic climate now to when the Yaris came to market, which may ultimately outweigh all of the above factors.

D

Deleted member 534

Guests
Totally agree and main dealers want nearly 40 for the Yaris and a decent used GT86 is late 20's.

I think a used factory fresh GR86 will be around 35-40 if you could even get one.

To start with dealers will list them at 40k.

GRpirate

Obsessed member
May 1, 2022
Hampshire
Totally agree and main dealers want nearly 40 for the Yaris and a decent used GT86 is late 20's.

I think a used factory fresh GR86 will be around 35-40 if you could even get one.

To start with dealers will list them at 40k.
As per my earlier post a 5k mint Yaris with circuit pack only made 31 on collecting cars. Several other cars over the last few months have gone through at 35 to 36 so about what people paid for them. You can ask any price but it’s the actual selling price that sets the market value. I doubt you would have any trouble getting 35k in the next couple of months for a delivery miles GR86 after that who knows

Chris Mc

Totally Hooked
Jul 27, 2022
The limited availability of a GR86 is why the insurance has hit a group 50.

That same limited production run creates a uniquiness. Almost “collectable” status day 1.

From an ownership point of view the depreciation will be tiny, if the car is cherished. I’d guess a 5 year old 30k miles will be £25k

It will be interesting to see if any demo’s every appear for sale, I doubt they will be marketed and will be sold with a premium in to a prospect list, ex demo 3k miles £35k.

So what price a one owner 6 month old car that has no demo (ragged, and a bit abused) status?

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
The limited availability of a GR86 is why the insurance has hit a group 50.

That same limited production run creates a uniquiness. Almost “collectable” status day 1.

From an ownership point of view the depreciation will be tiny, if the car is cherished. I’d guess a 5 year old 30k miles will be £25k

It will be interesting to see if any demo’s every appear for sale, I doubt they will be marketed and will be sold with a premium in to a prospect list, ex demo 3k miles £35k.

So what price a one owner 6 month old car that has no demo (ragged, and a bit abused) status?
I don't fully buy it being limited making it cost more to insure. I had a Z4M Coupe at 24 which was also limited numbers in the UK and I fully expected to cost way more than the Fabia vRS it replaced. Even the guy at the insurance company expected so. But ended up only being £240 a year, which was £100 less than the vRS so got money back. It's more down to availability on parts and how crashed it has been. Perhaps being 24 I was an anomaly trying to get insured on one and got that figure. Who knows.

D

Deleted member 534

Guests
At 33500 I could have bought an M2 but I didn't.

There is just something about lightweight bombproof, cheap to run fun manual cars that I love!

bencollins4

Obsessed member
Feb 1, 2022
S’pose we’ll really know the price potential for a flipped GR86 when someone puts one up on CC for auction?? On a same but different note, this should be an interesting one to watch (compared to the 2 on autotrader asking £105-£115k…) What were they like £75k list??
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2022-lotus-emira
£76k + options I think so most will be £80k +. Really awful time of year to shift it but am pretty sure it will still exceed list by a good chunk. We shall see! That’ll be followed on CC by the odd GR86 and then after that, a few FL5 Type R’s, no doubt!