GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

I might have hit a major stumbling block... my little one has kicked off at the space in the back of a GT86. Felt claustrophic and couldn't see out of the window properly. Everything I've read says she can't sit in the front passenger seat (you can't manually turn the air bags off but you can in the Yaris and Supra!).

This would effectively make the car a 1 seater and stupidly means an MX5 is more practical for us 🤦‍♂️
Booster seat???? ....plus she'll grow quick enough. I coped when my son was little while out and about in my MR2! Wish I never sold it thinking about it.
 
I might have hit a major stumbling block... my little one has kicked off at the space in the back of a GT86. Felt claustrophic and couldn't see out of the window properly. Everything I've read says she can't sit in the front passenger seat (you can't manually turn the air bags off but you can in the Yaris and Supra!).

This would effectively make the car a 1 seater and stupidly means an MX5 is more practical for us 🤦‍♂️
Retro fit one of these?!

7D20407B-11D7-490F-A0A0-6EC92C979BF5.webp


Proper Halfords special 😂

You can even use Klarna to pay for it instalments 😂
 
Sorry to hear that you've been moved to cancel, although I bet the MX5 was part of that decision making process, as I'm in exactly the same situation. How far into the process where you?
The car was due with me in July and has been sitting in the pigeon target zone (Derby) since then, with no updates.
Could be good news for anyone waiting for a black m/t.
I was tempted to wait and see, but the MX5 is really great and I'd rather just move on really. I've very much enjoyed being part of this forum though, much more than any others.
Thanks for the memories! 😂
 
The car was due with me in July and has been sitting in the pigeon target zone (Derby) since then, with no updates.
Could be good news for anyone waiting for a black m/t.
I was tempted to wait and see, but the MX5 is really great and I'd rather just move on really. I've very much enjoyed being part of this forum though, much more than any others.
Thanks for the memories! 😂
Sorry to hear you've cancelled @callahan , but glad you've a suitable alternative.

I'm also glad that Toyota appear to have discovered some customer service and efficiency with regard to your cancellation and refund.

All the best, don't be a stranger now!
 
Sad to see someone else cancelling but fully understandable given the way Toyota U.K. have handled this ☹️ What I can categorically say is had the order been placed with my local dealer they would have kept me appraised of the situation, even if it was a call to say “we don’t know what the hold up is, but when we know we will call“ Looks like a classic case of Toyota going “online with E Commerce” without the competence and resources to do the job properly, Toyota are playing at it 😤 But let’s not the forget how successful Online was “GR86 sold out in 90 minutes“ 😂

So far on Cancellations we have the following, which I’ve removed from the Order List:

Cancellations ❌

1. @mjm346 - 6MT - Saphire Blue ❌
2. @callahan - 6MT - Crystal Black ❌
3. @Seano1878 6MT - Electric Blue ❌

Please let me know if this is accurate and hope folk stick around. 👍
 
Last edited:
Well, I've finally done it, my order is cancelled 😭

This is the reply I got from Toyota when I asked what the cancellation process was:

"I'm very sorry to hear that you wish to cancel your order for the GR86. We do understand that we have not been able to uphold our usual standard of service due to the extremely high demand for the GR86 and we do apologise for the disappointing experience.
While it's nice to get some kind of apology, I think this is disingenuous - the situation has nothing to do with high demand, they're building exactly the number of cars they expected to, and they've always been in control of that.
What folks want to know, is why cars are built and delivered, almost to their destination, and yet nobody has one yet...
Personally, I'm OK to just shrug and wait. It is what it is, but don't lie about the reasons.
 
While it's nice to get some kind of apology, I think this is disingenuous - the situation has nothing to do with high demand, they're building exactly the number of cars they expected to, and they've always been in control of that.
What folks want to know, is why cars are built and delivered, almost to their destination, and yet nobody has one yet...
Personally, I'm OK to just shrug and wait. It is what it is, but don't lie about the reasons.
Yeah, that was a totally stupid answer (from TUK).
The cars are there and not delivered, so talking about "demand" is almost an offense...
 
As an aside, I’ve been reading up on facelift i30N’s and a fair few people experienced a similar delay for them in late 2021. Hyundai submitted the wrong paperwork for emissions so all the cars entering the UK were kept at port and the ones at dealerships couldn’t be registered until the issue was corrected. The date they could all be released was at the end of October so some similarities there.

Some said it was to do with fleet emissions as for each N model sold they had to sell ten low emission cars to cover it, there was also a noise regulation change at the start of 2022 apparently which required i30N’s to be rehomologated (although the 22 plate I tried was still very loud) hoping nothing else is on the horizon between now and my delivery date which is May next year, it seems performance cars are gradually getting nerfed year on year.
I30N’s are also built to order now with a considerable wait so maybe the group emissions stuff is true?
 
If you want a straight answer I’d email this guy and ask him why no one will provide a straight forward answer 🤷‍♂️

 
Sad to see someone else cancelling but fully understandable given the way Toyota U.K. have handled this ☹️ What I can categorically say is had the order been placed with my local dealer they would have kept me appraised of the situation, even if it was a call to say “we don’t know what the hold up is, but when we know we will call“ Looks like a classic case of Toyota going “online with E Commerce” without the competence and resources to do the job properly, Toyota are playing at it 😤 But let’s not the forget how successful Online was “GR86 sold out in 90 minutes“ 😂
I don't think you need "buy online" to get that experience. - at least in Germany

I ordered end of March and haven't heard a single word from my dealer since then :confused:
 
I don't think you need "buy online" to get that experience. - at least in Germany

I ordered end of March and haven't heard a single word from my dealer since then :confused:
@surfbort85 , it depends on your dealership, some are good , some are bad , some want to maintain customers , some can’t be bothered. I often drove miles to get my VW serviced rather than locally because the customer service was way better. 🤞 we will be talking about cars soon and not delays 🤔
 
With yesterday's email, I'm seriously starting to consider doing what @LU71KEE did and look at Supras...
In my head I've cancelled and the Supra is right up there as the alternative. Found 2 I want to look at but they're an hour up the road so finding time is tough.... That, and convincing myself to spend 50% more with everything that's going on in the world at the minute 😬

ETA: been told current lead time is 6 months / March 23 for the first manual Supras.
 
Last edited:
I used Carwow to get the price down even though the dealer I purchased from wasn't on it.
RRP of my car was around 51k with paint option. I paid just over 45k.

From what I had been told if you present a car wow price, they have to match it because that's what another dealer had agreed with Toyota as the selling price.
I dont know if they are still available but Steve Eggle? (Not sure on spellig, sounds liek that) had bee advertising Supra's that they would have in stock for October/November as for sale on Autotrader. Depends if you want to travel or ask them to deliver.
It's no suprise that I love the Supra, I've always wanted one being of the fast and furious generation.

I would have loved the 3 litre but couldnt afford it, but the 2 litre IMO is more than power enough and I'm currently averaging 35.9MPG with some spirited (but within the run in limits) driving.

They also only have to be serviced every 20k.
I'm not going to pretend it was cheap though, I was very lucky that I had saved up some money for the mods and a wrap for the GR86, so I took that, sold a few guitars and now I'm bombing around in a car that feels premium.
I took my dad to pick up a new to her RAV4 for my mum yesterday and I had to leave cause the guy just kept asking questions about it :)
 
Last edited:
I used Carwow to get the price down even though the dealer I purchased from wasn't on it.
RRP of my car was around 51k with paint option. I paid just over 45k.

From what I had been told if you present a car wow price, they have to match it because that's what another dealer had agreed with Toyota as the selling price.
I dont know if they are still available but Steve Eggle? (Not sure on spellig, sounds liek that) had bee advertising Supra's that they would have in stock for October/November as for sale on Autotrader. Depends if you want to travel or ask them to deliver.
It's no suprise that I love the Supra, I've always wanted one being of the fast and furious generation.

I would have loved the 3 litre but couldnt afford it, but the 2 litre IMO is more than power enough and I'm currently averaging 35.9MPG with some spirited (but within the run in limits) driving.

They also only have to be serviced every 20k.
I'm not going to pretend it was cheap though, I was very lucky that I had saved up some money for the mods and a wrap for the GR86, so I took that, sold a few guitars and now I'm bombing around in a car that feels premium.
I took my dad to pick up a new RAV4 from my mum yesterday and I had to leave cause the guy just kept asking questions about it :)
Steven Eagell are my local dealer, so if anyone needs a car picking up and driven across half the country (Wales, North York Moors, Highlands etc preferred) then I'm your man!
 
Back
Top