GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

I know one thing.

My GR86 could arrive tomorrow, perfectly prepped, number plates attached in a GR-ZOO-approved manner, with a boot-full of the world's finest ales, spirits and cheeses, and be the greatest car in the world to drive and do 200mpg, and women/men/those of a non-binary gender identity could throw themselves at my feet for merely owning one.

BUT

I will never, ever, buy a car other than one I can physically touch and sit in and drive and smell and collect three-to-five days later, again.

Thank you for reading.
Not to rub it in or anything but I pick the Supra up on Friday at 5. 😂

6 days start to finish.

That’s only because I opted to have them fit a dash cam properly (I didn’t fancy prying back a brand new interior to do it myself)

I did check the insurance today though. Which was a bit of a shock. As most of you guys know I’m coming from a 04 Celica T Sport. So around 48k difference as far as car value goes.

Buisness insurance. 3 points. Wife insists on being on the insurance too 🫤 11 years NCB. Mid 30s…

Grand total of an extra £20 a year 😂😂😂
 
Not to rub it in or anything but I pick the Supra up on Friday at 5. 😂

6 days start to finish.

That’s only because I opted to have them fit a dash cam properly (I didn’t fancy prying back a brand new interior to do it myself)

I did check the insurance today though. Which was a bit of a shock. As most of you guys know I’m coming from a 04 Celica T Sport. So around 48k difference as far as car value goes.

Buisness insurance. 3 points. Wife insists on being on the insurance too 🫤 11 years NCB. Mid 30s…

Grand total of an extra £20 a year 😂😂😂
Excellent news @LU71KEE , photos are expected of course!

Insurance is good news; a benefit of getting older. The car itself will probably be classed as a lower risk than a hot hatch full of yoooths. Professional's choice.

You may, judging by the sad face, prefer your wife not to be on the insurance. But I'd wager unless she has a ton of points having her as a named driver will have brought your insurance down. I always add whatever woman I'm living with at the time to my insurance for this reason...
 
Well after much soul searching I have now decided I am fed up with Toyota UK and feel that I have not been treated how I would expect to be treated.
I know it’s cutting my nose off but it’s a lot of money (to me) so I have decided to get a Abarth 124 2016 model… ( I had one a few years ago and had a great experience with it). Cost half the price and the sales guy has been amazing so far…. Sort of ironically it’s from Toyota Denton. (Rob)
I may keep my GR86 order open and when /if it’s gets released from Derby this year I would consider flipping it (I don’t feel bad about that … guess some may that this is abhorrent 🫣 as I feel the angst of having been promised August delivery and sat in Derby for over a month now and risk of not having a car after September I have been put through enough).
I will still hang around and really hope everyone gets what they want out of the GR86 and the forum has been great resource and hasbeen good natured /humoured place. 🤗
 
Last edited:
Well after much soul searching I have now decided I am fed up with Toyota UK and feel that I have not been treated how I would expect to be treated.
I know it’s cutting my nose off but it’s a lot of money (to me) so I have decided to get a Abarth 124 2016 model… ( I had one a few years ago and had a great experience with it). Cost half the price and the sales guy has been amazing so far…. Sort of ironically it’s from Toyota Denton. (Rob)
I may keep my GR86 order open and when /if it’s gets released from Derby this year I would consider flipping it (I don’t feel bad about that … guess some may that this is abhorrent 🫣 as I feel the angst of having been promised August delivery and sat in Derby for over a month now and risk of not having a car after September I have been put through enough).
I will still hang around and really hope everyone gets what they want out of the GR86 and the forum has been great resource And been good natured /humoured.
Totally understandable in my opinion @Enigma76 ,and a great choice.

Toyota UK
take note this chap has had 3x GT86s; is this really how you want to be seen to be handling loyal enthusiast customers?
 
Totally understandable in my opinion @Enigma76 ,and a great choice.

Toyota UK take note this chap has had 3x GT86s; is this really how you want to be seen to be handling loyal enthusiast customers?
Cheers matey - Yeah today spoke with Rob at Toyota in Denton said they are in the dark and have zero info coming from Toyota UK. Hope someone at HQ is reading this to at least put something out to us all out of our misery.
 
Well after much soul searching I have now decided I am fed up with Toyota UK and feel that I have not been treated how I would expect to be treated.
I know it’s cutting my nose off but it’s a lot of money (to me) so I have decided to get a Abarth 124 2016 model… ( I had one a few years ago and had a great experience with it). Cost half the price and the sales guy has been amazing so far…. Sort of ironically it’s from Toyota Denton. (Rob)
I may keep my GR86 order open and when /if it’s gets released from Derby this year I would consider flipping it (I don’t feel bad about that … guess some may that this is abhorrent 🫣 as I feel the angst of having been promised August delivery and sat in Derby for over a month now and risk of not having a car after September I have been put through enough).
I will still hang around and really hope everyone gets what they want out of the GR86 and the forum has been great resource and hasbeen good natured /humoured place. 🤗
@Enigma76 Sorry that the Toyota GR86 has been such a disappointment for you and , TBH most of us after all the joy of securing a car. I’m sure you would have no problem finding a purchaser for it, possibly someone on this forum who is already on “The List” and wants to “move up the delivery queue“. 🤔

You may be the first to turn away from the GR86 but I’m sure you won’t be the last. Hope all goes will with your Arbarth and it’s a better experience than the current Toyota one 👍
 
It creates a dilemma if that car is offered to one of us still in processing or build. Would you take it or wait for the 86 originally allocated to come to you?
 
Well after much soul searching I have now decided I am fed up with Toyota UK and feel that I have not been treated how I would expect to be treated.
I know it’s cutting my nose off but it’s a lot of money (to me) so I have decided to get a Abarth 124 2016 model… ( I had one a few years ago and had a great experience with it). Cost half the price and the sales guy has been amazing so far…. Sort of ironically it’s from Toyota Denton. (Rob)
I may keep my GR86 order open and when /if it’s gets released from Derby this year I would consider flipping it (I don’t feel bad about that … guess some may that this is abhorrent 🫣 as I feel the angst of having been promised August delivery and sat in Derby for over a month now and risk of not having a car after September I have been put through enough).
I will still hang around and really hope everyone gets what they want out of the GR86 and the forum has been great resource and hasbeen good natured /humoured place. 🤗
I had one of these behind me whilst driving around Worthing yesterday, loved the colour match up. In all honesty I didn't know what it was until ir kicked it past me on the dual carriageway. A Very nice choice!

I've now pretty much decided that as long as I'm happy with the Supra on Friday I will be keeping the GR86 to flip, and I wont feel bad about it. IF the buying process hadn't been so abysmal (purely due to the online experience .Toyota dealership staff by both mine and your accounts, have been fantastic) I'd have been happyily driving my 86 for a few years before I went for the Supra. I've jsut skipped a step.

You could sell it to someone on the forum for RRP and they could then immediately flip it themselves, or it could go to the next person on the waiting list, who again could flip it themselves.

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if someone wants to give me more than its worth because they think they can make even more money on it, that's up to them and their burden then. Personally I'd never pay more than RRP for anything, and when I can I shy away from even that! I suspect I'll put mine on motorway or carwow
 
Totally understandable in my opinion @Enigma76 ,and a great choice.

Toyota UK take note this chap has had 3x GT86s; is this really how you want to be seen to be handling loyal enthusiast customers?
They dont care think about it. They didn’t care about their dealer network at launch and many on here were all for cutting out the dealer so you reap what you sow. A strong dealer network can apply pressure to get answers. As an example just had a call from my salesperson at Porsche updating me on my order for an electric Macan that’s not even released till end of 23!!

Toyota has a cut prices telesales offer backed by a business that hasnt shown any interest in customer service. It’s the future. MD gets paid a shed load of money as a bonus as he’s making more profit they can’t get enough cars to sell so service doesn’t matter. Telesales staff paid a fraction of dealerstaff. Win win take it or leave it the next cab on the rank will take the car. A race to the bottom but it’s what people say they want these days ? Personally I don’t like it call me old fashioned. Saving skilled jobs in the dealer network should matter
 
Have mentioned before about being emotionally tied to a dealer. The days of building rapport are gone. If they want to go the full way, why not PDI in Derby and deliver to my door?
 
They dont care think about it. They didn’t care about their dealer network at launch and many on here were all for cutting out the dealer so you reap what you sow. A strong dealer network can apply pressure to get answers. As an example just had a call from my salesperson at Porsche updating me on my order for an electric Macan that’s not even released till end of 23!!

Toyota has a cut prices telesales offer backed by a business that hasnt shown any interest in customer service. It’s the future. MD gets paid a shed load of money as a bonus as he’s making more profit they can’t get enough cars to sell so service doesn’t matter. Telesales staff paid a fraction of dealerstaff. Win win take it or leave it the next cab on the rank will take the car. A race to the bottom but it’s what people say they want these days ? Personally I don’t like it call me old fashioned. Saving skilled jobs in the dealer network should matter
Certainly agree with that (my emphasis).

Ordinarily and across other sectors I do try to use my buying power to support businesses who treat their staff well and who are ethical and sustainable. Happy to pay more to do this where I can - I'm very far from being 'rich' but certainly comfortable in comparison to some, so you could say I use my buying privilege to support staff being treated/paid better, for example.

So how does one buy a car this way?

Morgan?
 
  • Like
Reactions: cc3
I've now pretty much decided that as long as I'm happy with the Supra on Friday I will be keeping the GR86 to flip, and I wont feel bad about it. IF the buying process hadn't been so abysmal (purely due to the online experience .Toyota dealership staff by both mine and your accounts, have been fantastic) I'd have been happyily driving my 86 for a few years before I went for the Supra. I've jsut skipped a step.

You could sell it to someone on the forum for RRP and they could then immediately flip it themselves, or it could go to the next person on the waiting list, who again could flip it themselves.

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if someone wants to give me more than its worth because they think they can make even more money on it, that's up to them and their burden then. Personally I'd never pay more than RRP for anything, and when I can I shy away from even that! I suspect I'll put mine on motorway or carwow
The GR will very much be a niche product, and that combined with these reliability questions may mean there is less demand than intitally thought by some.

We've read that there's supposedly c.1,000 people on the 'waiting list' but this is expressions of interest rather than dipping into the back pocket for a deposit. Plus, where is this figure from? Toyota? Can we trust what they tell us?
 
Think another thing that's affected this over the years is how people perceive cars. To me it's a big deal buying one. To some, even here who PCP or lease regularly it's merely a transaction, with very little excitement and when it turns up are looking for the next shiny thing. Know someone who always gets highest specs in the models he's looking at but he's bored the second it turns up saying "it's just a car". Even now and especially when I was younger. The norm was to save hard to buy something and you'd value it more. Now it's on it's head. People with cash or are impatient will get something else which is what we're seeing.
 
Well after much soul searching I have now decided I am fed up with Toyota UK and feel that I have not been treated how I would expect to be treated.
I know it’s cutting my nose off but it’s a lot of money (to me) so I have decided to get a Abarth 124 2016 model…
Brilliant cars, I've had two, and would happily have another.

Have a good look underneath though, I looked a a few that were very corroded underneath (subframes), before I found good ones.
 
Think another thing that's affected this over the years is how people perceive cars. To me it's a big deal buying one. To some, even here who PCP or lease regularly it's merely a transaction, with very little excitement and when it turns up are looking for the next shiny thing. Know someone who always gets highest specs in the models he's looking at but he's bored the second it turns up saying "it's just a car". Even now and especially when I was younger. The norm was to save hard to buy something and you'd value it more. Now it's on it's head. People with cash or are impatient will get something else which is what we're seeing.
Patience only goes so far, when we put our orders in we were made to believe we'd have our cars in 12/13 weeks. Today marks week 16 if my math holds up.
If they are delivered mid-October as mine suggests that's 26 weeks. :unsure:
 
Patience only goes so far, when we put our orders in we were made to believe we'd have our cars in 12/13 weeks. Today marks week 16 if my math holds up.
If they are delivered mid-October as mine suggests that's 26 weeks. :unsure:
Given everything that's going on in the World there was no way that date would be honoured. My only concern is why the hold for some at port and no solid comms on it.

People can do what they want. You say patience only goes so far but what's the rush? If you were short a vehicle then I can understand but many can wait. I'm happy to wait until it turns up since this is my only option. I won't be paying more for something else because of impatience. This car ticks my boxes and will be a keeper.

I suspect there's more flippers here than people are letting on and only ordered for that reason. They can and that's fine but it doesn't feel right to me, especially when there's people who wanted it but now if they do will need to pay a markup. That is if we aren't all frozen because we can't pay our fuel bills so people won't be able to.
 
Have mentioned before about being emotionally tied to a dealer. The days of building rapport are gone. If they want to go the full way, why not PDI in Derby and deliver to my door?
Totally agree with this. I've not felt like I've had a good rapport with a dealer for well over a decade of car buying. Audi, BMW, Skoda, Honda, Porsche and VW. Not one of them I would put in the bucket of 'Would pay a little more as I know they will look after me', in fact I'm now of the position where I will never buy another VAG car and never buy from The Marshall Group again.

Car dealers are now there to simply perform a transaction now, and they do very little more than give me the ability to buy the car I want. It's not the position that I want, but it's based on my interactions with a trade that seems to have lost it's way.
 
Patience only goes so far, when we put our orders in we were made to believe we'd have our cars in 12/13 weeks. Today marks week 16 if my math holds up.
If they are delivered mid-October as mine suggests that's 26 weeks. :unsure:
Were we? I think I was told "late August", but I took that with a pinch of salt at the time, as it seemed optimistic. Don't get me wrong, it's annoying that it's slipped, but if my current estimate turns out to be accurate (17th October), then that's pretty much bang on 6 months from order to delivery. From what I've heard about new car ordering over the last couple of years, that's really not too bad a turnaround for a brand new, limited-run model. To be honest, I'm counting my lucky stars I've got one coming; the thought of cancelling it just because it's been delayed a bit couldn't be further from my mind.
 
Were we? I think I was told "late August", but I took that with a pinch of salt at the time, as it seemed optimistic. Don't get me wrong, it's annoying that it's slipped, but if my current estimate turns out to be accurate (17th October), then that's pretty much bang on 6 months from order to delivery. From what I've heard about new car ordering over the last couple of years, that's really not too bad a turnaround for a brand new, limited-run model. To be honest, I'm counting my lucky stars I've got one coming; the thought of cancelling it just because it's been delayed a bit couldn't be further from my mind.
When I placed my actual order on 20th April it said car available in 12 weeks. So. In my case. Yes. I believe many peoples had been the same. It wasn’t until Toyota contacted us later that we were told later dates.

People will cancel or see there orders through based on their own situation. I’m not going to re hash anything. You do you and all that.

This thread is for people that are thinking of cancelling. So just expressing a point as to why someone may want to cancel. If that doesn’t apply to you and you aren’t thinking of cancelling that’s good too.

I genuinely and sincerely hope that, for those of you that are keeping your orders, they aren’t delayed again and everyone is happy with their order
 
It creates a dilemma if that car is offered to one of us still in processing or build. Would you take it or wait for the 86 originally allocated to come to you?

Hopefully they take it, I’m very likely to be offering mine up and going to the back of the queue. Toyota need to address the RTV issue with some comms and resolution.
 
Back
Top