GR86 GR86 - The “Auto Zone”

Yeah, that's the one, oh no didn't realise they have roadworks on that road again, it's a pain at the best of times but hope that we get the drive done before people go shopping etc.
Actually put burrows at Rotherham down for delivery dealer, as its closer and would be loads of roads to try but they haven't got a demo. Yeah I'm going to try and head back away from town, I hope they just let us have the keys they have before when test drive RAV-4 with my dad a couple of years ago.
Oh yeah will do thank you (y):), shame we still don't have an auto to drive.
I will be over the moon if we get the auto dimming mirror and the rear sensors as want them 100% (don't think we'll get front ones (n)), be even better if we get the little keypad alarm system like the GT86 used to have as really like the speed locking anti-hijack but suspect I will have to live without this.
Yes will have to have the Auto only club haha and even more so now its the 2 Red Auto's nearby each other.
Let you know how it goes on Saturday :D

The roadworks are mainly heading into town , Not too bad heading East , come out of Burrows , turn left and keep going , if you’re late back blame the road works 🤷‍♂️ If you don’t like the manual put a hard hat on before you say anything 😂😂😂
 
I don’t think any of the press cars are automatic, AFAIK they are all manual. The white auto is apparently allocated to the Derby Training Academy so techs will actually know how to work on one when it appears in front of them 🤷‍♂️
My bad. I must be thinking of video reviews I've see in the US. A fair few of them were in automatics.
 
Right post test drive update.... lets just say we both loved the car and can't wait to get ours plus having driven the manual we 100% made right choice going with the Auto.
Doncaster let us have the car and off we went for two hours :D, really great branch and said we can have another test drive any time.
The manual I get all the comments about the on off switch thing, including I noticed an annoying click noise on release (guess this is the spring on the pedal). The shift itself was great when going (although 1st was a little notchy and difficult to start with) but the clutch took some mastering to get a smooth change one minute I'd got a brilliant change and the next I felt like Maureen from driving school, mainly at low speeds (guess some people like this element of getting the perfect shift), in traffic was an absolute 🤬🤬🤬 especially getting stuck for 20 minutes in Doncaster reminded me why I want an auto. My other half managed to stall 3 times trying to reverse back off the drive and, on the 4th, attempt he decided best approach was loads of revs resulting in wheel spin which has now left tyre marks on the drive :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:. He also gave us both a brown trouser moment :poop: by putting his foot down too much after we turned right at a crossroads where the back of the car stepped out quite a bit without trying.
Also, there is no shortage of power trundles around in 6th at 30 and soon as you put your foot down it accelerates with no down changes. Traffic light grand prix (even if I was the only one taking part :ROFLMAO:) were great fun. Engine revs so quickly and smoothly it gains speed with ease in all situations, never felt lacking in anyway, in my opinion and having played with the trip commuter eventually resetting it, I'm sure 30+ mpg would be pretty easy to achieve.
A few observations:
- The dark blue was a lovely colour, but I think a brighter colour would make it stand out even more. Still undecided on if we want the rear duck bill spoiler, or if it would look odd (given the stock boot lid slight spoiler looks added (as its not one piece with the panel).
- It's such a shame we can't have the red interior option would really lift the feel. I think the dash and design are pretty good as were the materials in general no rattles or squeaks and felt totally solid.
- Seats are superb and radio was fine just, annoying no proper sat nav and that the usb are in the arm rest. Back seats are useless :ROFLMAO: and the protruding glove box is bizarre.
- The switches are all lovely apart from the stupid indicator stalks though will get used to them.
- Don't like the lack of antihijack auto locking or that when you do lock the doors pulling the interior handle doesn't unlock them.
- Ride I found firm but comfortable is the only way I can describe it, road noise again not the worst and not the best but was fine. Steering and general feeling when driving = superb as were the brakes 10/10 here.
Aside from a few minor points above so looking forward to driving the auto, now roll on 2024 and delivery :D:cool:.
20221203_114020.webp
20221203_114008.webp
 
Right post test drive update.... lets just say we both loved the car and can't wait to get ours plus having driven the manual we 100% made right choice going with the Auto.
Doncaster let us have the car and off we went for two hours :D, really great branch and said we can have another test drive any time.
The manual I get all the comments about the on off switch thing, including I noticed an annoying click noise on release (guess this is the spring on the pedal). The shift itself was great when going (although 1st was a little notchy and difficult to start with) but the clutch took some mastering to get a smooth change one minute I'd got a brilliant change and the next I felt like Maureen from driving school, mainly at low speeds (guess some people like this element of getting the perfect shift), in traffic was an absolute 🤬🤬🤬 especially getting stuck for 20 minutes in Doncaster reminded me why I want an auto. My other half managed to stall 3 times trying to reverse back off the drive and, on the 4th, attempt he decided best approach was loads of revs resulting in wheel spin which has now left tyre marks on the drive :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:. He also gave us both a brown trouser moment :poop: by putting his foot down too much after we turned right at a crossroads where the back of the car stepped out quite a bit without trying.
Also, there is no shortage of power trundles around in 6th at 30 and soon as you put your foot down it accelerates with no down changes. Traffic light grand prix (even if I was the only one taking part :ROFLMAO:) were great fun. Engine revs so quickly and smoothly it gains speed with ease in all situations, never felt lacking in anyway, in my opinion and having played with the trip commuter eventually resetting it, I'm sure 30+ mpg would be pretty easy to achieve.
A few observations:
- The dark blue was a lovely colour, but I think a brighter colour would make it stand out even more. Still undecided on if we want the rear duck bill spoiler, or if it would look odd (given the stock boot lid slight spoiler looks added (as its not one piece with the panel).
- It's such a shame we can't have the red interior option would really lift the feel. I think the dash and design are pretty good as were the materials in general no rattles or squeaks and felt totally solid.
- Seats are superb and radio was fine just, annoying no proper sat nav and that the usb are in the arm rest. Back seats are useless :ROFLMAO: and the protruding glove box is bizarre.
- The switches are all lovely apart from the stupid indicator stalks though will get used to them.
- Don't like the lack of antihijack auto locking or that when you do lock the doors pulling the interior handle doesn't unlock them.
- Ride I found firm but comfortable is the only way I can describe it, road noise again not the worst and not the best but was fine. Steering and general feeling when driving = superb as were the brakes 10/10 here.
Aside from a few minor points above so looking forward to driving the auto, now roll on 2024 and delivery :D:cool:.
View attachment 10599View attachment 10600
Glad you had good service from Burrows , sad that you had 20 minutes in Donny traffic with that clutch ☹️ The test drive service/experience seems very variable between dealers. What was your order time if you’re a 2024 delivery 🤔 I can’t quite make out the reg is it VS72 OBX 🤔

Edit , bit of trial and error and got YS72 OBX 👍
 
Last edited:
Glad you had good service from Burrows , sad that you had 20 minutes in Donny traffic with that clutch ☹️ The test drive service/experience seems very variable between dealers. What was your order time if you’re a 2024 delivery 🤔 I can’t quite make out the reg is it VS72 OBX 🤔

Edit , bit of trial and error and got YS72 OBX 👍
Yeah, very pleased with the dealer(s), will probably stick with the Rotherham branch as its closer and the branch director lives on the next street :). Yeah was a bit of a pain and nearly had the front end taken off by an MG ZS who decided was ok to cut across 3 lanes on roundabout to get one car ahead :eek::mad:.

My time ended up being 12:35 (had the configurator open for about an hour and half trying to decide if I should spend £30+k), think Online team said I was about 2nd to last order to go through (should have bought a lottery ticket).

Yeah YS72 OBX (y).
IMG-20221204-WA0001.webp
 
Bit of an update on my communication with the Online team regarding test drives in an automatic. No response to my first email after 7 days , no response to second email after 3 days so I called. A nice lady apologised for “her colleague not responding to my email“ 🤷‍♂️ it went to the generic address so who knows 🤔. She did apologise that there were no automatics to test and after reading my email did acknowledge that Toyota do actually own one , Result #1👍 She said she would look into the possibility of trying to make the auto available and would get back to me. I’ll give it 5 working days and then if I’ve had no response I’ll give them another call to see if a solution has been found. As Castle Donnington circuit is only just down the road from Derby ( where the auto resides) I’m happy to do test drives there 👍 If Goodwood was good enough for the training Day / Jolly why not for paying customers 🤔 Simple solution easily delivered 😂
 
Thanks @AndyRC . Please do keep us posted if you test drive it. Although I already paid for mine I’d be interested to know what you think as you also test driven the manual. Also please check the additional features for us. Rear sensors, auto dimming rear mirror how well the adaptive cruise works, remote app features (heat the car from iPhone app) etc. With my levels of crazy traffic here auto is the only option.
 
Thanks @AndyRC . Please do keep us posted if you test drive it. Although I already paid for mine I’d be interested to know what you think as you also test driven the manual. Also please check the additional features for us. Rear sensors, auto dimming rear mirror how well the adaptive cruise works, remote app features (heat the car from iPhone app) etc. With my levels of crazy traffic here auto is the only option.
Will do , I’m not holding my breath on this one but it’s not impossible if TUK actually want to make it happen 👍

EDIT - I think The 2.4 litre engine and the auto box will be a great match, when I drove a GT86 auto the engine felt as though it was struggling a bit at lower RPM , particularly mid range , in the 6MT the engine felt fine and plenty of pull with no noticeable torque dip. All the auto folk in the US seam pretty happy , other than a few who wanted to change down when they were already on the rev limiter. The auto software prevents downshifts at high RPM unless it’s happy that the engine won’t get wrecked , one of possible reasons why I’ve not found any reports of cars with auto boxes blowing engines , even though they are in the majority in the US.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone got an Auto in the country and or a delivery date? I’m interested to see if we do get front parking sensors as well as rear 🤔 Seems totally half brained to fit rear sensors when we have a rear camera but we are dealing with TUK 🤷‍♂️

@Kiwi Greg , I know the NZ spec is more like JDM does yours have front and rear parking sensors 🤔
 
Has anyone got an Auto in the country and or a delivery date? I’m interested to see if we do get front parking sensors as well as rear 🤔 Seems totally half brained to fit rear sensors when we have a rear camera but we are dealing with TUK 🤷‍♂️

@Kiwi Greg , I know the NZ spec is more like JDM does yours have front and rear parking sensors 🤔
Should be picking mine up tuesday
 
Thanks @AndyRC . Please do keep us posted if you test drive it. Although I already paid for mine I’d be interested to know what you think as you also test driven the manual. Also please check the additional features for us. Rear sensors, auto dimming rear mirror how well the adaptive cruise works, remote app features (heat the car from iPhone app) etc. With my levels of crazy traffic here auto is the only option.
Remote app features like pre-heating the car? This is Subaru we're talking about here. It will just be the My T app, which is pretty poor. I only use it if I want to check how much fuel I have left and for a mileage reading before I make up my mileage for the previous week. There won't be any remote app features. Think the only thing you can do if it has Toyota Sat Nav (I expect it won't) is do a route on your phone and send it to the car.

I hope you get the auto dimming mirror though as it's a fab feature to have as I do on my Yaris. The problem with the 86 is that because it's so low, you get really dazzled by SUV level headlights which is a pain. Was a shame to see no automatic wipers on the 86. You have auto lights but it's just like the GT86 as if tech hasn't moved on in the last 10 years.
 
It’s truly awful on ice! Went to visit family not knowing what their road was like, thought i was stuck at one point 😭
On the dryer roads its been great, gearbox is smooth and change well, not entirely sure what the eyesight system does yet, snow mode starts you in 2nd, sport turns the dash red, the paddles are very close to the wheel which isn’t ideal if you have larger fingers,
Has parking sensors aswell as the camera, think you can turn them on and off too, only at the back though, best of all theres no blank buttons!
 
It’s truly awful on ice! Went to visit family not knowing what their road was like, thought i was stuck at one point 😭
On the dryer roads its been great, gearbox is smooth and change well, not entirely sure what the eyesight system does yet, snow mode starts you in 2nd, sport turns the dash red, the paddles are very close to the wheel which isn’t ideal if you have larger fingers,
Has parking sensors aswell as the camera, think you can turn them on and off too, only at the back though, best of all theres no blank buttons!
Enjoy! I used to have winter wheel set for my gt86. I’m thinking of doing the same with the gr. Are you able to control or see the status of the car using the my T app? Does it come with a SIM card allowing you to track it etc?
 
@Swizzle congratulations looks great, good news on the rear sensors, do we get an auto dimming mirror as well on the auto?
Enjoy! I used to have winter wheel set for my gt86. I’m thinking of doing the same with the gr. Are you able to control or see the status of the car using the my T app? Does it come with a SIM card allowing you to track it etc?
Saw a menu about connect it to wifi, not sure about a sim
 
Back
Top