Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I’m not too pleased , we pay a £2k premium, which I don’t mind but would prefer the Auz/NZ approach ie all priced the same , but not to have a single auto demonstrator is aIt's a poor show that no autos are available for customers to drive.
To be fair, you do get a host of "safety features" with the automatic option, which aren't available on the manual and make the premium a bit more digestible.I’m not too pleased , we pay a £2k premium, which I don’t mind but would prefer the Auz/NZ approach ie all priced the same , but not to have a single auto demonstrator is apoor show , I fear TUK are adopting the “ignore it and it will go away“ , well No it won’t .
Lets face it, 90% of the reason people want a manual will be for getting it sideways or making 11sOK to talk auto here as it’s our “safe place”Had my test drive yesterday at JRT aim Hull , as ever great service , how are you doing , can I have your licence , sign here , hand you the keys , show you the car, full tank , and see you when you’ve had enough fun , how was it when you get back
and that is every test drive I’ve ever done with them.
As you know all dealer demos are manual and I’ve emailed Toyota Online a week ago to say I’m not happy there are no auto demonstrators available as they do own an auto at the Derby Training Academy, no response after a week
I can drive manual , my runabout is a 63 plate Fiesta which is ex my son and the gearbox is ok. Got in the GR86 and the clutch is like an on/off switch , not nice in slow moving or stop/start traffic , OK when moving but I got to the point where I wasn’t looking forward to stopping. I didn’t find the gear change smooth or enjoyable either. My son has a Fiesta ST Tango (Performance) Edition and the clutch and gear box are actually very nice, nice feel on the clutch , throw is short and smooth, actually a nice manual Which I quite enjoy driving occasionally. Bottom line I never hesitated to choose the auto , and came back from the test drive knowing i had definitely made the right choice for me , I could not live with the manual.
Off course we’re not considered “proper drivers“ because we drive an auto but I do have the choice of doing nothing , paddles or shift lever but then everyone in F1 and WRC are not ”proper drivers” either
I‘m sure the joy of the perfect shift and absolutely nailing it once in a blue moon far out ways having every shift 100% accurate every time you want one , and focussing on driving , but then folk are different , let’s thank Toyota for “Saving the Auto” in a proper sports car![]()
A shame to hear the gearbox ruined the drive for you, but I have to say, it's an opinion that lies in complete contrast to literally every other piece of commentary I've read so far. And you have spent a fair proportion of the last 8 months reminding us how much you dislike manuals, so I have to say I'll take it with a pinch of salt for now
It does highlight what a poor show it is not to provide auto demonstrators though. You obviously have incredibly high expectations of the manual box for it to have completely ruined the experience. I guess for you, that will just reinforce that you made the right personal choice, but imagine someone who was undecided getting in for a test drive, finding the manual gearbox crap and then writing the entire car off as a result....they'd just walk away.
I guess it's irrelevant because the cars are all sold anyway so as you say, TUK aren't too bothered, but you'd hope they at least care about letting paying customers experience what they'd paid for. Especially given as there were autos available for press reviews I think.
To be fair, you do get a host of "safety features" with the automatic option, which aren't available on the manual and make the premium a bit more digestible.
In terms of NZ pricing (not sure about AUS), they aren't charged less for the automatic as such. There is an evironmental tax levied there that due to lower fuel efficiency/higher emissions makes the manual the more expensive option.
Poor show from Toyota on not offering an automatic for test drives but they are only 1 in 15 orders based on our data, so I guess it would be difficult for them to decide which dealer it should go to as well.
Well, owning the Gen 1 manual BRZ , I agree with you fully @AndyRC .
Winters always frustrate me , with agricultural 3 to 2 gear change and notchy upshifts till the gearbox oil gets warm and before someone has a go saying its probably the gearbox oil, clutch cable , fluid etc, I've done all those experiments - have had 3 different gearbox oils from OE to Millers CFS to Castrol. Makes ZERO difference. Have had goodridge steel braided clutch cable. Nothing helps, its just a characteristic of the gearbox that we need to get used to... Second gen has improved the second gear synchro, the marketing material read. I am keen to experience it first hand and confirm or deny.
I have also had an uprated clutch and the On Off behaviour doesn't go away. Another characteristic to live with and slip the clutch always to get a smooth take off from stop.
Having said all that, with the crazy traffic around and road works galore with City fibre digging street after street and temp traffic lights etc, next will be automatic. I just am waiting with baited breath for someone to cancel a Red Automatic. Who knows if luck has it for me by 2024 or I continue with what I have today, which is where it all started anyway [emoji3]
Oh yes, I would love the Adaptive Cruise Control, only on the Auto for motorway mile munching!
Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Amen to that!Whatever your choices, enjoy your cars guys and girls.
Yes, a little annoyed as well that there are no auto's to test, have a test drive booked in for Saturday at Doncaster with their manual demo.
Very excited to try the car, as closest I've got before was sitting in a GT86 before, never tested that so it's a completely fresh experience of the 86.
I take what people say about must have the manual with a pinch of salt. I can drive a manual and do enjoy it for about 5 minutes on the right road but the rest of the time it's just a pain. If I want to change gears, there are the paddles and the manual mode on the gear lever.
The whole you must have a manual for the car and the pure driving experience blah blah. To me it's like saying when you go on holiday you should fly in the cargo hold to get the purest experience.
Apologies if this has been covered before or I've misinterpreted, but it does look like the auto gets the mirror as well as the reversing sensors: in the My Toyota page for my car (snippet)
..."name":"Rear parking sensors with automatic object braking","index":70,"standard":true....
..."name":"Electrochromatic auto-dimming rear view mirror","index":105,"standard":true,"type":"Option" ...
To be fair, you do get a host of "safety features" with the automatic option, which aren't available on the manual and make the premium a bit more digestible.
In terms of NZ pricing (not sure about AUS), they aren't charged less for the automatic as such. There is an evironmental tax levied there that due to lower fuel efficiency/higher emissions makes the manual the more expensive option.
Poor show from Toyota on not offering an automatic for test drives but they are only 1 in 15 orders based on our data, so I guess it would be difficult for them to decide which dealer it should go to as well.
Yes, a little annoyed as well that there are no auto's to test, have a test drive booked in for Saturday at Doncaster with their manual demo.
Very excited to try the car, as closest I've got before was sitting in a GT86 before, never tested that so it's a completely fresh experience of the 86.
I take what people say about must have the manual with a pinch of salt. I can drive a manual and do enjoy it for about 5 minutes on the right road but the rest of the time it's just a pain. If I want to change gears, there are the paddles and the manual mode on the gear lever.
The whole you must have a manual for the car and the pure driving experience blah blah. To me it's like saying when you go on holiday you should fly in the cargo hold to get the purest experience.
Yeah, that's the one, oh no didn't realise they have roadworks on that road again, it's a pain at the best of times but hope that we get the drive done before people go shopping etc.I’m guessing you’re going to Burrows on Wheatley Hall RoadLoads of road works around there
but I’m guessing you know the roads out to the east where you can get a nice feel for the car without too much traffic , good luck coming back down Wheatley Hall Road , you will be stopping a lot
I hope they give you the keys and say “enjoy” not do a 4 roundabouts through town and back.
if they do let me know and I’ll have word at JRT and see if I can sort something better out.
Let us know how you get on
![]()