GR86 GR86 - Paint Colour Choices

It is quite annoying when it’s described as pearlescent but I am quite happy with it being a solid colour due to the problems that come with pearlescent paints and re sprays. It should have been priced at £400-500~ max though in all honesty.
 
Wonder if it might be worth kicking off about that on delivery. Technically missold. Not that I'd refuse the car on that basis, but it's a bit galling to be charged extra on the basis that it's something when it isn't.
I know the US consumers wouldn't stand for it, has "class action" written all over it. I guess if there is enough dissenting voices here we could get some concessions from TUK, free servicing for 2/3 years?
 
It is quite annoying when it’s described as pearlescent but I am quite happy with it being a solid colour due to the problems that come with pearlescent paints and re sprays. It should have been priced at £400-500~ max though in all honesty.
If it's a solid paint it should be a no cost option IMO.
 
We have a thread here to discuss colours


Anyone who has been around the forum for a while will have seen lots of discussions regarding Electric Blue and Ignition red and the fact that these are not ”true pearlescent” finishes. Unless there is a recognised BS/ISO etc standard which defines what a “pealescent” paint is I‘m not sure you would have a case.

As for cost it’s down to what the market will pay. Two of the three most expensive options , Electric Blue and Ignition Red are by far the most popular so why would Toyota make them free 🤔 It’s no different to paying £400/500 for different paint on your calipers when it costs the same as black paint.

If you were in business would give something away for free that you could charge nearly a £1k for🤔 Just saying 👍
 
It is quite annoying when it’s described as pearlescent but I am quite happy with it being a solid colour due to the problems that come with pearlescent paints and re sprays. It should have been priced at £400-500~ max though in all honesty.

Yeah, it's not that I'm unhappy with it being solid. I wanted that colour, so I would have ordered it regardless of it being solid, metallic or pearl. If they wanted to charge extra because they knew it would be popular, fine, - but to charge extra on the basis of it being something is not is taking the piss a bit.

Not going to let it jeopardise my order, but I think I might raise it on delivery.

I know the US consumers wouldn't stand for it, has "class action" written all over it. I guess if there is enough dissenting voices here we could get some concessions from TUK, free servicing for 2/3 years?
Perhaps. Although I guess we'll have to find out how it was marketed in the US. It was called "neptune blue" over there I believe, but I don't know if was sold as pearlescent.

EDIT: Sorry @AndyRC , missed your post about the other thread before I replied. Feel free to move the post if necessary, I'll shut up now.
 
We have a thread here to discuss colours


Anyone who has been around the forum for a while will have seen lots of discussions regarding Electric Blue and Ignition red and the fact that these are not ”true pearlescent” finishes. Unless there is a recognised BS/ISO etc standard which defines what a “pealescent” paint is I‘m not sure you would have a case.

As for cost it’s down to what the market will pay. Two of the three most expensive options , Electric Blue and Ignition Red are by far the most popular so why would Toyota make them free 🤔 It’s no different to paying £400/500 for different paint on your calipers when it costs the same as black paint.

If you were in business would give something away for free that you could charge nearly a £1k for🤔 Just saying 👍
I don't know if solid/met/pearl have an ISO style definition but they have fairly clearly defined preconceptions in the UK market. They have also gone to the trouble of saying which colour is metallic and which is pearl so to paint a car a solid colour and call it pearl in their marketing is totally wrong. I am sure if you asked a detailer/automotive paint manufacturer to describe pearl/met/solid they would independently come up with a similar description for each of the paint types, painting (:p)Toyata in a bad light.
 
I don't know if solid/met/pearl have an ISO style definition but they have fairly clearly defined preconceptions in the UK market. They have also gone to the trouble of saying which colour is metallic and which is pearl so to paint a car a solid colour and call it pearl in their marketing is totally wrong. I am sure if you asked a detailer/automotive paint manufacturer to describe pearl/met/solid they would independently come up with a similar description for each of the paint types, painting :)p)Toyata in a bad light.
The Polish brochure actually translates into English as “special varnish” which is probably a much more accurate description
 
Don't know how anyone else feels about that but I certainly feel "done". "Pearlescent" has fairly well defined expectations I think and a flat or non metallic finish is not pearlescent. I think there could be a large group of unhappy buyers as it is one of the most popular choices according to this forum.
I think it's just how they separated the colours on the UK site because that was what the price banding was. Although I will agree anyone that didn't heavily look into the colours before the order page could easily be misled by the site, I did know what I was getting so I'm happy with it.

Electric Blue is supposed to be the same as the Ignition Red which isn't a pearl colour either but is on the site, it's apparently two coats of different shades of flat colour with a special lacquer making it more expensive.

According to some American owners it takes on a different looking flat colour depending on how much bright natural light its exposed the red looking very orange in really bright conditions.

There's a good video of the colours here but even the Sapphire blue doesn't look very pearl in it, might just be the pants monitor though lol:
 
Thanks a fellow prospective owner here I popped to my - non gr- dealership to look at colour samples for gr86.
I am getting electric blue auto. It looks great in person but for sure it is a flat colour and so is red one.
BDEC3EA8-B357-4CBC-A6D7-856F5AFA4891.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pop in to see my dealer the weekend to have a look. They've still not phoned or introduced themselves. Bar me testing a GR Yaris once I'm a brand new customer.
 
Visuals updated in the OP, now with 183 cars.

Automatic transmission cars' share decreased to 6% and Andy's managed to dethrone the Electric Blue amongst those by switching to Ignition Red (making his colour choice the most popular colour choice for autos regardless :ROFLMAO:).

Still no pearl white or ice silver auto order on the forum - do auto drivers not like overly bright colours? :unsure:
 
Visuals updated in the OP, now with 183 cars.

Automatic transmission cars' share decreased to 6% and Andy's managed to dethrone the Electric Blue amongst those by switching to Ignition Red (making his colour choice the most popular colour choice for autos regardless :ROFLMAO:).

Still no pearl white or ice silver auto order on the forum - do auto drivers not like overly bright colours? :unsure:
@beorg Thanks for updating the charts , much appreciated. I feel like I’ve just affected the results by changing my vote , the caused a swing from blue to red 🤣
 
Visuals updated in the OP, now with 183 cars.

Automatic transmission cars' share decreased to 6% and Andy's managed to dethrone the Electric Blue amongst those by switching to Ignition Red (making his colour choice the most popular colour choice for autos regardless :ROFLMAO:).

Still no pearl white or ice silver auto order on the forum - do auto drivers not like overly bright colours? :unsure:
Ignition Red and Electric Blue are more towards the “shouty end” of the colour choices 🤣
 
OP updated with split out tables displaying ordering time against the Estimated Delivery Date per colour choice.

Hopefully these will help us to keep a track of guestimated delivery dates in the future.
 
The CEO took her car in for a service today and I asked if she could photograph the colour swatches, the sales guy let her bring it home and I can say I’m very happy with my final confirmed choice of Ignition Red, it pops nicely and Im sure I’ll be happy with it longterm 👍😎

73C3195D-85C6-4FAD-B782-3522403E6341.webp
07142F7F-B1B8-47EB-A973-7CB3A0C27C00.webp
DEAED2CD-7666-4C95-84DF-8D4A460BD394.webp
 
The CEO took her car in for a service today and I asked if she could photograph the colour swatches, the sales guy let her bring it home and I can say I’m very happy with my final confirmed choice of Ignition Red, it pops nicely and Im sure I’ll be happy with it longterm 👍😎

View attachment 4617View attachment 4618View attachment 4619
Is it actually pearlescent? It just looks red in photos. I like red cars but I think I’ve been spoilt by my current car as that red is beautiful (to me) so I’d struggle to change to another red.
 
Photos don't always look realistic but that red doesn't even look metallic let alone pearl.
Mazda Soul Red though is very nice and the Crystalline version is even better.
 
Is it actually pearlescent? It just looks red in photos. I like red cars but I think I’ve been spoilt by my current car as that red is beautiful (to me) so I’d struggle to change to another red.
It’s definitely not pearlescent but it does have a “different, slightly metallic” look in sunlight , not sure if it’s the lacquer / two layer red , I can only describe it as ”it’s a solid red Jim but not as we know it” I doubt that helps anyone but it is a very nice red 👍😎
 
OP updated with 183 cars - now UK only orders.

This has rebalanced the visuals a little, especially on the automatic cars front.

I've also added a couple of entries to the confirmed EDD tables.
 
Back
Top