GR86 GR86 Infotainment

I have officially Given Up On Android Auto.

I have a 64GB tiny little USB drive plugged in with all my FLAC and MP3 audio files on and I attach my phone to one of the air vents using one of these when I need navigation.
 
For those with Amazon Prime, the Carlinkit 5.0 is going for £89:99 during 'Prime Days' but, there is an additional 10% voucher that can be applied (at Checkout) - So I've just picked one up for £80:99 which is a decent £40 saving against RRP!
 
Is the main benefit of this box that you don't need the wires and it just auto connects at start up so you can keep your phone in your pocket?
 
Is the main benefit of this box that you don't need the wires and it just auto connects at start up so you can keep your phone in your pocket?
Exactly. Once it's been set up that's it, no need to fumble with wires anymore. The unit can be stuck to the inside of the centre console and attached with a short USB cable. Your phone can then stay in your jacket/purse/bag etc and it connects wirelessly to the car via this unit. Connection times usually vary from 20-30 seconds. Getting it at £80 just means that I have to miss out on this weeks' wine delivery ... 🤭
 
I still prefer cable since it means it's charging too. It's not perfect but It's fine most of the time. I need some way of holding the phone better instead of in centre console with a microfibre to stop it moving about.
 
I believe AAwireless does the same job as the carlinkit for £70, haven't tried it myself but am tempted.

Just checked in fact and its 15% off on Amazon £59.49. I have some vouchers so will be getting that later.
 
I have a Carlinkit 3.0 for I-Phone in both the 86 & FK8. both work great & cost less than £60.
 
Any difference in the above, carlink 3.0 and aawireless, if they all do the same job I'll just go for the cheapest.
 
It's worth noting wireless android auto drains the phone battery fast. The problem with it is Google maps is always running even if your not using it.

If your planning a long journey take a cable.
 
Thanks, so it looks like 3.0 is iphone only, AAwireless is android only, but the 5.0 carlink covers both. All on deals on amazon at the moment.
 
I use AA wireless at the moment, I only tend to plug it in if going on journey >2hrs and less than 50% battery, I tend to also like arriving with fairly full charge on my phone. I keep a cable in the car and plug it in if needed. This will vary from phone to phone.
 
So there's AA wireless for £70 (no voucher showing ATM)
Carlinkit 5.0, currently at £86 (£121 with £35 voucher)
and (confusingly) Carlinkit AAWireless 2023 for £56 (£86 with £30 voucher)

Any idea of pros and cons between the 3?
 
There's also Carsifi to consider if you have Android, £75.


I have had one for several months and it's been faultless.
 
There's also Carsifi to consider if you have Android, £75.


I have had one for several months and it's been faultless.
Same. Connects in a few seconds and has been faultless.
 
There's also Carsifi to consider if you have Android, £75.


I have had one for several months and it's been faultless.
For anyone ordering one use 'WELCOME5' during checkout 5% discount.
 
1689252314794.webp

Brodit no drill mount with a magnetic swivel attached (metal plate under phone case)
High output USB C cable to 12v socket in glovebox (only plugged in when needed)
Carsifi in centre console connected to USB

Works exactly how I want it now (after a few failed attempts).
 
I picked up an Airlink 5 last week, it seems to do the job nicely. I have just finished 3D printing the Magsafe holder so plan to use that on long journeys otherwise my phone stays in my pocket.
It takes <1min to connect after starting and has been fairly reliable (my phone has decided not to connect a few times when on low battery mode however) quality and lag all seem decent too.
 
Back
Top