GR Yaris (Gen 2) GR Yaris Mk2 (MY2024->)

Yep, definitely the worst colour out of the lot. Just looks nowhere near as good as the white Mark I.
Maybe just me, but I think it looks fine on the above pics, a mouth full of real coolers (or place for an oil cooler on the manual) vs black kinda fake side vents on the mk1... There I said it.
 
Not that I particularly want one, but I wonder if that means those of us that have our names on Toyota's waiting list to be given the opportunity to put down a deposit, or simply those that have put down a deposit for a car that's never going to arrive.

Chances are upgrading would cost north of £10k, probably nearer £15k or even more and to me that makes my Mk1 Conv pack even more convincing!
It certainly won't be cheap. They know people are willing to pay more now and will be looking to capitalise in that

"Toyota has also been taken aback by the wealth of the buyers who are buying GR Yarises. “This is something we’ve never seen before,” Saito said. "

 
Must say the Mk2 starts growing on me. First impression of the looks and the cockpit was not so convincing. Tech wise, I would love some more power but what is most intriguing to me is the stiffening of the chassis. It makes the mk2 more like a GRMN. Everything else is possible to upgrade if we wants to,

Found som info about a Concept versjon and must say as a pure white owner I was quite disaponinted how the new mk2 front looked. But adding a front spoiler and side skirts will make it look a lot bader. Maybe TRD or others will make a front, sides and wing kit.

IMG_0433.webp
IMG_0434.webp


Guess I will have to see it before deciding to swap not.

 
I've been thinking about this. I've been really salty over the new car, and had a couple of days of nearly resenting my Mk1. I got my car at the end of November last year, so to find out the MK2 was official just gutted me. BUUUUTTT.. I've been doing some thinking.

The Mk1 is (in my humble opinion) the true homologation car. It was the car that they built the required 25000 WRC units with. I think thats pretty cool. It reminds me of the big turbo Escort Cosworth, in the sense that it was uncompromising, had faults and it did what they needed it to do to go rallying, and was maybe a road car second. Its faults are actually quite characterful. The Mk2 reminds me of the small turbo later Escort Cosworths, epic, but much more designed to be a road car.

Would I like a Mk2, YES! Would I sell my Mk1 to get one? No!

If I'm fortunate enough to be offered a slot on a Mk2, I'll jump on it, as it's my dream daily in DAT form, but I really don't see that coming to pass. But the MK2 isn't the car I wanted to keep to enjoy with my little lad as he gets older. He's two now, and goes on constantly about Barry Yaris.

Also, the Mk1 is just so much better looking in my opinion, it just looks right.

IMG_0743.webp
 
Last edited:
Was just watching the carwow review and their numbers don't make a lot of sense for the quarter mile.

2024 Auto - 5.1s to 60, 13.61s to quarter mile, difference of 8.51s between 60 and hitting a quarter mile
2024 Manual - 5.06s to 60, 13.67s to quarter mile, difference of 8.61 seconds between 60 and the quarter
2020 - 6.0s to 60, 14.12s to quarter mile, difference of 8.06 seconds between 60 and quarter.

So it's 0.9 seconds slower to 60, but only 0.5 seconds slower in the quarter mile.

Doesn't make much sense a car with -20bhp and -30 torques is faster between 60 and the quarter.
 
Was just watching the carwow review and their numbers don't make a lot of sense for the quarter mile.

2024 Auto - 5.1s to 60, 13.61s to quarter mile, difference of 8.51s between 60 and hitting a quarter mile
2024 Manual - 5.06s to 60, 13.67s to quarter mile, difference of 8.61 seconds between 60 and the quarter
2020 - 6.0s to 60, 14.12s to quarter mile, difference of 8.06 seconds between 60 and quarter.

So it's 0.9 seconds slower to 60, but only 0.5 seconds slower in the quarter mile.

Doesn't make much sense a car with -20bhp and -30 torques is faster between 60 and the quarter.
Yeah that is nonsense. 6 seconds to 60? There are FWD cars that can beat that. Also in the drag race the person in the old one was clearly visible starting later then the other two every time yet that was not even commented on or fixed.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it since it's not like these things were done under scientific standards and they were invited to a Toyota event. Real independent testing and somebody's real thoughts tend to stay at the door at these kind of events.
 
Yeah that is nonsense. 6 seconds to 60? There are FWD cars that can beat that. Also in the drag race the person in the old one was clearly visible starting later then the other two every time yet that was not even commented on or fixed.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it since it's not like these things were done under scientific standards and they were invited to a Toyota event. Real independent testing and somebody's real thoughts tend to stay at the door at these kind of events.
Seriously, they wrote that? I tried it exactly twice without tuning. And once I needed 4.85 seconds, completely stock without tuning.

There are even some videos from people who had the car in their hands for the first time and also drove 5.0 or 4.9 and similar.I've even seen 4.71... I'm still talking about 100% stock.

Also a form of marketing...
 
It certainly won't be cheap. They know people are willing to pay more now and will be looking to capitalise in that

"Toyota has also been taken aback by the wealth of the buyers who are buying GR Yarises. “This is something we’ve never seen before,” Saito said. "


That article doesn't really gel with the idea that there'll be limited numbers
 
That article doesn't really gel with the idea that there'll be limited numbers
What that is saying is that Toyota intend to build a full-fat GR model of the Yaris for the foreseeable future, including the next generation car due in, I presume 2025/6.

When they launched the car they couldn't commit as they didn't know how it would be received, how many would be sold etc. Now they do.

It's still going to be "limited" in that the factory can only build so many, and with demand outstripping supply...yadda yadda
 
Was just watching the carwow review and their numbers don't make a lot of sense for the quarter mile.

2024 Auto - 5.1s to 60, 13.61s to quarter mile, difference of 8.51s between 60 and hitting a quarter mile
2024 Manual - 5.06s to 60, 13.67s to quarter mile, difference of 8.61 seconds between 60 and the quarter
2020 - 6.0s to 60, 14.12s to quarter mile, difference of 8.06 seconds between 60 and quarter.

So it's 0.9 seconds slower to 60, but only 0.5 seconds slower in the quarter mile.

Doesn't make much sense a car with -20bhp and -30 torques is faster between 60 and the quarter.
I think the 60 may suffer a little because of the 2nd to 3rd gear change, a lot of times it’s done at 58mph and that cost a few tenths to the 60mph reading
 
I humbly link to a post in my own mk2 thread where I think I made quite a good point on the merits of a better car and the driver role in that, for those mk1 owners struggling with the question if they should upgrade:
 
Was there anywhere that they would continue with CVT 1.5 N/a model with new design, or is it being dropped off?
 
Was there anywhere that they would continue with CVT 1.5 N/a model with new design, or is it being dropped off?
It's a good point. i got the impression this model was only produced so they could be sure of selling the requisite amount of the body shape for homologation purposes. As they've proved they can probably sell all they can make as full-fat versions, I don't really see the point.

Unless some Japanese folk really like underpowered cars with dreadful gearboxes? I dunno :D
 
It's a good point. i got the impression this model was only produced so they could be sure of selling the requisite amount of the body shape for homologation purposes. As they've proved they can probably sell all they can make as full-fat versions, I don't really see the point.

Unless some Japanese folk really like underpowered cars with dreadful gearboxes? I dunno :D
to my understanding they've sold over 10k of those so it makes quite big market share. Would free capacity of course for AWD car if such would be desired.
 
That article doesn't really gel with the idea that there'll be limited numbers
TGR states like this in their intro with mk2. so story continues (which is good)

TGR’s journey of making ever-better motorsports-bred cars is without end. TGR intends to continue competing in races using the GR Yaris and evolving it with input from various drivers.
 
Back
Top