Gari
Totally Hooked
There should hopefully be a few of us with different exhausts at Japfest, will be a good chance to compare.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
It's impossible to tell whether its too loud for you or not, because I don't know what your preferences are. I personally wouldn't describe this as loud. I'd say the cold start is a touch loud, and the random 2k and 4k drone is a touch loud, but aside from that it's perfect. I'm not a fan of loud cars, so I'd be quite happy for it to be 5% quieter, but no more than that or it would be too quiet. It's ideal.Hmmm. Think I'd have to hear it in person to be sure...I'm pretty intrigued, from the videos I've heard it does sound pretty good but I still think it would be a bit loud for me. Looking forward to more testimonials to make me wonder if the HKS I'm waiting on is the right choice![]()
Yeah. As I said previously, there is definitely a distinct difference between the US videos and my own car. I'm glad there's someone else to back me up now, as if I was lying or something haha.2k and 4k is the same for me too but as you say, NSL speeds in 6th and it's fine until you bury it then there a burst of drone but again I've had way worse in the past. I can't get over that driving normally it's spookily like stock which is ideal. The US videos as we surmised before are louder than ours because we have the GPF. I find it spot on and this is it being on the car less than an hour. I don't normally buy things without researching for weeks but I'm glad I just bought it as I couldn't really see a reason not to for the money. Was looking at HKS and other Japanese system for lots more. I'm glad I didn't and have the cash for something else. Even the insurance was only admin fee for telling them.
Yeah I understand. I'm a picky sod and whilst I want a bit more volume I dread the thought of drawing attention to myself or annoying others.It's impossible to tell whether its too loud for you or not, because I don't know what your preferences are. I personally wouldn't describe this as loud. I'd say the cold start is a touch loud, and the random 2k and 4k drone is a touch loud, but aside from that it's perfect. I'm not a fan of loud cars, so I'd be quite happy for it to be 5% quieter, but no more than that or it would be too quiet. It's ideal.
Apart from the money (Yorkshireman), I also worry about attracting attention. There are times you want to put your foot down but not scream "look at me" at the same time. However, the sound of this car is crap and I like noise. Do we need a servo valve system? That sounded expensive as I typed it...Yeah I understand. I'm a picky sod and whilst I want a bit more volume I dread the thought of drawing attention to myself or annoying others.
I think if anything, I’d go for a Helmholtz resonator on the stock mid pipe, and a backbox delete. That’s probably going to be the best bang for buck for those that want more volume but no drone.All sounds really promising with the remark, an option with helmholtz resonators like this could eliminate the drone at specific RPM without quietening it down too much. I'm going to reach out to H&S see what they can make.
View attachment 14719
I've just fitted my H&S Helmholtz system from my previous GT86 onto my GR.That's one of the reasons I was swayed by the HKS...they've build a Helmholtz resonator into the midpipe. Mind you I am paying for it though...
H&S are the guys who made an exhaust for someone's GT86, and then went on to sell it for anyone aren't they? I'm sure they could probably just tweak that design for the new car.
I agree completely with the above. It's really difficult to say if it's quieter because of the GPF, I think it may be a smidge quieter than what I've seen online, but everyone's camera records it differently.Touch of drone at 2k and a little at 4k but nothing bad and it's only in relation to the rest of it. Given what I've had in the past it's more than acceptable. The exhaust sounded superb all day. Not tiring, sounded as it should do. Even idle is only slightly louder than stock which is just what I wanted. It's always going to be loud on a cold start but only lasts about 15s or so. I'm very happy with it.