GR Yaris Eventuri intake and airbox vacuum module

GRYDC5

Dedicated member
Joined
Jan 17, 2023
Messages
108
Reaction score
142
Hi folks

Treated myself to an early Christmas present and fitting an Eventuri intake today :)

The instructions say to remove the vacuum module from the stock intake, to block off the T junction, and then makes no further reference to it.

Reading around on the Internet though, it seems like I'll get a code if the module isn't connected - so wondering what other have done with it?

Also curious what it's actually doing if not strictly needed?

Thanks!
Matt

1700296279303.webp
1700296307808.webp
 
tuck the plug up somewhere safe. I dont have a code.
 
It's responsible for opening the flap on the stock airbox. I have no code from blocking it off with my MST intake.
 
Thanks both - all good. Getting the lower bolt out from the OEM tube behind the engine was a challenge but otherwise went pretty smoothly.

Wasn't expecting so much more dump valve noise! Including warbling/flutter if I go on boost then feather the throttle - I assume this is normal and just wasn't audible with the stock air box?!
 
Thanks both - all good. Getting the lower bolt out from the OEM tube behind the engine was a challenge but otherwise went pretty smoothly.

Wasn't expecting so much more dump valve noise! Including warbling/flutter if I go on boost then feather the throttle - I assume this is normal and just wasn't audible with the stock air box?!
Nice 1 ! Where did you purchase from as thinking of getting one myself
 
Thanks both - all good. Getting the lower bolt out from the OEM tube behind the engine was a challenge but otherwise went pretty smoothly.

Wasn't expecting so much more dump valve noise! Including warbling/flutter if I go on boost then feather the throttle - I assume this is normal and just wasn't audible with the stock air box?!
Yep, as it's meant to be. I'm not a particular fan of the dump valve whoosh, but I do like the little flutters!
 
I like the lift off flutter too, but I'm also actually getting a little quieter flutter in certain circumstances under acceleration too - which apparently might not be so harmless?

It's noticeable when accelerating gently in 2nd or 3rd at half throttle or so, and when there's a little load on the engine like on an incline - happens as I approach 3k rpm. Opening the throttle more will make it go away, or lifting off.

Everything fine at WOT.

Anything to worry about? I have an HKS Legamax cat back exhaust too, but stock ECU.

Thanks
Matt
 
Don't want to be that guy however,
You do get a code. But you do not get an Engine Light
I have reset the ECU about a dozen times, and it comes back at every startup. You won't know about it unless you read the codes using a scan-tool however
 
Don't want to be that guy however,
You do get a code. But you do not get an Engine Light
I have reset the ECU about a dozen times, and it comes back at every startup. You won't know about it unless you read the codes using a scan-tool however
I actually left the vacuum module plugged in and cable tied out of the way, so all good on that front.
 
I like the lift off flutter too, but I'm also actually getting a little quieter flutter in certain circumstances under acceleration too - which apparently might not be so harmless?

It's noticeable when accelerating gently in 2nd or 3rd at half throttle or so, and when there's a little load on the engine like on an incline - happens as I approach 3k rpm. Opening the throttle more will make it go away, or lifting off.

Everything fine at WOT.

Anything to worry about? I have an HKS Legamax cat back exhaust too, but stock ECU.

Thanks
Matt
Reading a bit more, the sound could actually be the dump valve regulating the boost (ok) rather than compressor surge (bad).

New to turbo cars so learning as I go along, and the Internet always tells two different stories :)

Be interested to know if anyone else with an aftermarket intake and exhaust on stock ecu hears the same noise tho...
 
Have the same sounds on mine with HKS Spec L-2 exhaust and eventuri. Perfectly normal does the same noise on another car I have with eventuri on too.
 
Thanks Mark - that's what I wanted to hear :)
 
The Eventuri isn't cheap, but the design, fit and fabrication quality is first class. In reality it's over engineered in terms of performance potential for the OEM GR Yaris turbo. We're currently working on a full frame turbo/Eventuri intake combination. I suspect the Eventuri will perform really well at higher power levels.

The vacuum module is only relevant when using the OEM airbox. As has been said, this opens a flap on the airbox. Remove the module and vac hoses completely and fit the cap supplied to the T piece (see step 6 photo above).

The flutter noises you can now hear with the Eventuri intake fitted are natural turbo sounds, previously muted by the OEM airbox. The turbo electronic actuator is very sensitive to load, the slightest throttle lift will initiate a response from the actuator which opens the wastegate to vent boost. This is what you are hearing.
 
Thanks - good to know the noises are normal.

I kind of like them but can also kind of see why Toyota dialled them out! When on it, great, but for normal driving I can probably do without the turbo chatter.

Thinking I might revert back to the stock airbox at the weekend - could be a bargain Eventuri with very little up use for grabs for someone who'll appreciate it more!
 
Thanks - good to know the noises are normal.

I kind of like them but can also kind of see why Toyota dialled them out! When on it, great, but for normal driving I can probably do without the turbo chatter.

Thinking I might revert back to the stock airbox at the weekend - could be a bargain Eventuri with very little up use for grabs for someone who'll appreciate it more!
How much
 
Back
Top