GR Yaris ECU solution .... Is it real???

The german tuner MPS can do it. So i think it should be easy doable for every tuner.
Glad we don't have those issues - in Finland going above 200km/h is way too much for your license.
Then again, Of course it would be fun to pass Porsche 911 on autobahn with Toyota Yaris..
 
Glad we don't have those issues - in Finland going above 200km/h is way too much for your license.
Then again, Of course it would be fun to pass Porsche 911 on autobahn with Toyota Yaris..
It must be a very old Porsche 911 to have a chance to outspeed it with the Yaris. I think for most people outside of germany its probably only interessting for racetrack use. :)
 
And even for track...230 km/h should be enough for lots of tracks if you stay near stock power.
 
Just received this bad boy :)

1649340874262.webp
 
On the subject on longevity, we've all read about the 10s quarter mile cars running 500hp+ and a lot of torque and they haven't popped! Even so, if I got a remap with longevity in mind (10 year+ perspective) and to have some margin on the clutch, I would personally limit torque. Because torque (and the cilinder pressures that make it) are what breaks stuff. For power => heat, a good tuner will set temperature limits, but torque is a bit of a long term gamble.

I've noticed that anything above 400Nm is a bit of a peak so I would consider everything above that a bit frivolous (stage 1/2). And a good tuner can cap torque at any number you want...

For perspective, 400Nm might sound low, but that equals 500Nm on a 2l engine, 750Nm on a 3l and 1000Nm on a 4l. I've seen up to 500Nm on the stock turbo, that makes for 625Nm on a 2l engine, almost 940Nm on a 3l and 1250Nm on a 4l. Big numbers with associated cilinder pressures that at least I don't associate with longevity... But I'm a (mechanically) careful person that likes to keep some margins, so there is that. Just saying what I would do ;)
 
Last edited:
For anyone interested in a comparison of stock vs tuning box vs custom remap with a few mods.. the important bit being the delta gains throughout the entire graph.
Any chance you can chuck up the measures from the dyno at the wheels rather than the back calculated theoretical engine power?

I find it easier to understand the impact the gain will make.
 
Any chance you can chuck up the measures from the dyno at the wheels rather than the back calculated theoretical engine power?

I find it easier to understand the impact the gain will make.
Our chassis dyno measures crank horsepower. However, I have attached the whp curves for comparison.

If you follow the graph below you will see the delta gains which are quite significant i.e. up to 30whp more than stock and tuning box at 2500RPM and beyond.

OLS+ Dyno Graphs (1).webp
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, I recently installed a JB4 system in Yaris. It also has a K&N air filter with a small mode been done to the rear of the exhaust. Attached is pictures of the dyno run and the JB4 data log from a 3rd gear pull. Do you think I am in the clear of valve flout at this level or can I go a bit higher? Do not intend to push the engine too hard.

6751E3AE-1C3D-44EE-BC45-4D06967E458C.webp


BD30957C-9DDA-4255-BE06-EA8F72455A99.webp
 
Hey guys, I recently installed a JB4 system in Yaris. It also has a K&N air filter with a small mode been done to the rear of the exhaust. Attached is pictures of the dyno run and the JB4 data log from a 3rd gear pull. Do you think I am in the clear of valve flout at this level or can I go a bit higher? Do not intend to push the engine too hard.
Without knowing any details (what kind of additional boost are you running, mods) that AFR looks tad high IMHO. I'd target around 12:1 - notice that I'm not a pro mechanic but have owned few tuned street cars) - safer to be on the safe side and play with timing instead of pushing the AFR too lean. But I think this comes into details of what each engine can manage and what each tuner can do.
 
Wonder what kind of AFR does the mapped gars run on WOT? Where's the sweetspot for this engine? Usually it has been around 12:1 and stock map seems to go below 12 AFR in top end on WOT. Rule of a thumb has been that better to have it rich and dial more timing instead of pushing AFR too high but definitely not an expert here..
 
as remap of the stock ecu is available now, I see more and more people that have a Syvecs and compare or test with stock ecu too. tune with syvecs and copy/paste the tables or just compare. In most cases, Syvecs ecu is stronger, so they achieve much more hp with syvecs. Can one explain why?

Scara73 e.g. same mods, stock ecu tuned 335 hp, syvecs 370 hp ?!?
 
as remap of the stock ecu is available now, I see more and more people that have a Syvecs and compare or test with stock ecu too. tune with syvecs and copy/paste the tables or just compare. In most cases, Syvecs ecu is stronger, so they achieve much more hp with syvecs. Can one explain why?

Scara73 e.g. same mods, stock ecu tuned 335 hp, syvecs 370 hp ?!?
From what I've understood from the sidelines, they are not the same tables afaik, Syvecs is based on its own engine management motorsport architecture and tuning logic and just uses the same signals and outputs. While on the OE ECU not all tables are accesible yet, and many others aren't clear that they exist/what they do. Also the tuning process interation is much quicker on Syvecs with live tuning, while on OE ECU one has to have a long write process everytime you change anything.
Something like that, someone with more hands-on experience will hopefully chip in...
 
Last edited:
I will wait for Adrian Smith of Fensport to comment, you will get a very unbiased opinion ( not meaning anybody is doing other ) for sure this is a very hot topic.
 
A full aftermarket ECU is always going to be able to do things a remapped OEM one can't.

Faster processing, wider ranges, more complex tables, nothing unlocked or unavailable (just a matter of getting the right sensors), just more flexibility all round.
 
as remap of the stock ecu is available now, I see more and more people that have a Syvecs and compare or test with stock ecu too. tune with syvecs and copy/paste the tables or just compare. In most cases, Syvecs ecu is stronger, so they achieve much more hp with syvecs. Can one explain why?

Scara73 e.g. same mods, stock ecu tuned 335 hp, syvecs 370 hp ?!?
The OEM ECU structure is totally different to Syvecs. There are thousands of tables available with no definition of what they are and what they do. It is down to the tuner to identify what they are, what they do and modify them accordingly while trying to find factory limiters within the stock software which sometimes prevent you from achieving what you are trying to.

Syvecs is a totally different platform, based on its own architecture and each map is defined so you know exactly what changes you are making and the effect of those changes. The ability to data log and see the effect of the changes you are making with live tuning is to a level that you will not see with another software or OEM ECU tuning. There are no limitations with Syvecs and the world is your oyster.

The benefit for those who tune with Syvecs and later start development using the OEM ECU, is the knowledge gained on this platform along with a good understanding of what the limits are for different hardware setups such as with or without valve springs, with or without an exhaust etc. However, for this knowledge to be of any use, the tuner needs to find and identify the relevant maps and limiters in a very complex ECU structure that is the Denso ECU. We have achieved a good level of tuning using the OEM ECU so far in our development with sensible boost levels and no valve float.

The bottom line is, it is most definitely not a copy/paste between Syvecs and OEM ECU, if only it was that easy. If you want the very best from your GR then Syvecs is the way to go and is the reason that as a Syvecs dealer and approved tuner, our own car is and will remain on Syvecs. However, if you still want a great performance improvement using the OEM ECU, recognising that you will not see the same power levels, usability and accessibility of Syvecs, then find yourself a reputable tuner who has done extensive development and is confident in their work.

Here is our Stage 2 results using the OEM ECU.

283574084_991137754937929_6702661480127613876_n.webp
 
Last edited:
From what I've understood from the sidelines, they are not the same tables afaik, Syvecs is based on its own engine management motorsport architecture and tuning logic and just uses the same signals and outputs. While on the OE ECU not all tables are accesible yet, and many others aren't clear that they exist/what they do. Also the tuning process interation is much quicker on Syvecs with live tuning, while on OE ECU one has to have a long write process everytime you change anything.
Something like that, someone with more hands-on experience will hopefully chip in...
This is a good basic explanation to add to what I have said above.
 
Back
Top