GR Yaris Carsifi Wireless Adaptor via Kickstarter

So that adapter needs to be permanently connected to the car? To the one usb port we have? Any idea if there is an option to connect elsewhere? Could there be a second usb port behind the screen or behind the dash maybe?
Yes, to use Carsifi for wireless Andriod Auto it needs to be connected to the USB. As far as I know there's no second USB port, though I wish there were!

As I don't like cables trailing everywhere I simply have the Carsifi wired in to the port and put the phone on a non-slip mat on the shelf above. For those long journeys where I need to charge the phone, I simply keep a cable in the glove box so I can connect the phone up for wired Android Auto.

I so wish there was USB to the shelf even if it was just power. It's a right nuisance how it is at the moment. I've added power in to most of my other cars over the last few years but the Yaris just seems harder because of the shapes and accessibility. Of course, I could always rig up something straight off the battery in the boot but that's not particularly convenient.
 
Just a quick note to fellow aawireless users. After you've connected to your car go to the aawireless app on your phone and choose settings. Find the dpi setting and set it to 103 then save.

After a few seconds your Android auto on the car will set itself to split screen mode so map on one half and audio on the other. It's much nicer.

There was a recent change to android auto which enables this but the Yaris display is too low res for it to work :(

Aawireless gets around this :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick note to fellow aawireless users. After you've connected to your car go to the aawireless app on your phone and choose settings. Find the dpi setting and set it to 103 then save.

After a few seconds your Android auto on the car will set itself to split screen mode so map and one half and audio on the other. It's much nicer.

There was a recent change to android auto which enables this but the Yaris display is too low res for it to work :(

Aawireless gets around this :)
Just done this on my car. The convenience pack has the bigger screen, and it looks fantastic!
 
Here you go. One of the pics shows the aawireless dongle which normally sits in the glovebox.

It hasn't disconnected on me in over a years use.

Galaxy S21 android 12.

20220915_170953.webp


20220915_170831.webp


20220915_170939.webp


20220915_171448.webp
 
Great choices both in terms of the songs!

I reckon it's worth getting the aawireless. $90, including delivery... 🤔
 
Got round to ordering AAwireless last month... still waiting.

First time I contacted them, they said it was on its way. I checked the tracking number later that week, and it has never left Germany, but was now being returned to sender!

Contacted them, and they said it would be sent out again. I asked them for the new tracking number, they came back with the same one, so that was no good. Asked them again, and the warehouse haven't given them a tracking number apparently... 🤔

So, do I wait for them to pull their fingers out, or do I get my money back and try elsewhere for something similar...?
 
Another question for those with Carsifi, does that allow you to do the split screen thing? Also, is it stable in user over time?
 
Another question for those with Carsifi, does that allow you to do the split screen thing? Also, is it stable in user over time?

I could be wrong but I think the split screen thing is only on the beta and that's closed to new sign ups.

Overall I've found Carsifi stable though
 
I could be wrong but I think the split screen thing is only on the beta and that's closed to new sign ups.

Overall I've found Carsifi stable though
The split screen is in android auto, isn't it, from the newer versions of android, and if the screen resolution supports it? The aawireless adapter can be set at a different resolution to "kid" the GRY screen that it can support the split screen, which it can't natively from a wired android device.

You're saying the Carsifi doesn't do the same thing? Are there any other devices that can, or do I need to stick to editing for aawireless?
 
The split screen is in android auto, isn't it, from the newer versions of android, and if the screen resolution supports it? The aawireless adapter can be set at a different resolution to "kid" the GRY screen that it can support the split screen, which it can't natively from a wired android device.

You're saying the Carsifi doesn't do the same thing? Are there any other devices that can, or do I need to stick to editing for aawireless?

Looking at it again, it appears that Carsifi does allow for Dpi changes to allow split screen but I've never tried it. I'll try and give it a go over the next day or so.

My understanding is that the upcoming version of Android Auto does it by default on lower res screens.
 
Looking at it again, it appears that Carsifi does allow for Dpi changes to allow split screen but I've never tried it. I'll try and give it a go over the next day or so.

My understanding is that the upcoming version of Android Auto does it by default on lower res screens.
Ah, brilliant thanks.

👍
 
Ah, brilliant thanks.

👍
OK, it's a bit counterintuitive ...

In my mind, the more DPI, the higher the resolution of the screen.

The default is 160 DPI so I tried 320 DPI and everything got bigger so I thought it had opted for the most likely usable "safe" setting in the same way that PCs occasionally go to 640x480...

But no. It seems to be determined to work the other way round, so the lower the DPI setting the higher the resolution of the screen.

Hmm.

Anyway, here's the screen with DPI set to Default/160

KzZgw9Y.jpg


Here's the screen set with DPI set to 120 - the icons are noticeably smaller

Vp9soJD.jpg


And finally with DPI set to 100 - as if by magic the screen is split

e251np8.jpg
 
Thanks @Gyp and @Yogi896 - really helpful.

Might cancel my aawireless order with them pissing around, and order the Carsifi instead...

@Gyp - when you say it's harder to operate, how difficult, and what exactly are you doing? I usually use it to set locations on Waze and change playlists in Spotify. Is it glitchy doing that with the smaller/larger (delete as appropriate) resolution?
 
Just beat me to it.

How do you find it? I'm finding it harder to operate/navigate so have gone back to default as it's easier to use
Seems ok but would look to change back if I was relying on Waze for directions. Saves having to change screens when going between music and maps so I prefer it for local runs.
 
Thanks @Gyp and @Yogi896 - really helpful.

Might cancel my aawireless order with them pissing around, and order the Carsifi instead...

@Gyp - when you say it's harder to operate, how difficult, and what exactly are you doing? I usually use it to set locations on Waze and change playlists in Spotify. Is it glitchy doing that with the smaller/larger (delete as appropriate) resolution?

So far I've only done it parked on the drive rather than moving about, but as it's really easy to swap between Spotify full screen and Google maps (not use Waze much but likely the same) they are going to be easier to operate with a larger target for your fingers.

Of course, if you're going to use it full screen rather than split screen, the justification for Carsifi or similar is definitely reduced... I've got the Carsifi dongle attached to my USB port, but then a USB charger connected in to the phone and the 12V socket so arguably it would be just as easy to connect the phone to the USB port.
 
Back
Top