GR Yaris Carsifi Wireless Adaptor via Kickstarter

One of the annoyances with AA, is that when I make a call it takes it off the map, and then I have to press some buttons to get it back to the map. Once i've finished the call, it then defaults to a list of recent calls, rather than going back to the map. Needs only a quick press, but it's still annoying. Not sure if having the split screen would help with this at all, or if there's anything else that can be done in AA to work round it.

Seems ok but would look to change back if I was relying on Waze for directions. Saves having to change screens when going between music and maps so I prefer it for local runs.
So it's still usable?

@Gyp - you thought it wasn't usbale, and better without the split screen ?
 
So far I've only done it parked on the drive rather than moving about, but as it's really easy to swap between Spotify full screen and Google maps (not use Waze much but likely the same) they are going to be easier to operate with a larger target for your fingers.

Of course, if you're going to use it full screen rather than split screen, the justification for Carsifi or similar is definitely reduced... I've got the Carsifi dongle attached to my USB port, but then a USB charger connected in to the phone and the 12V socket so arguably it would be just as easy to connect the phone to the USB port.

You get the benefit of your phone not having to reconnect to AA if you disconnect the charge for any reason whilst in the car. I like to keep my phone charged, so will charge it from a USB cable from the 12V socket for any normal journeys. But if it's a quick journey, then at least it can stay in my pocket, or just be thrown in to the seat-pocket thing i've just got, and I still get AA.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gyp
Carsifi ordered, and AAwireless refunded (they really were taking the piss).

Hopefully, this is sent out and arrives without the same fuss.
 
Carsifi ordered, and AAwireless refunded (they really were taking the piss).

Hopefully, this is sent out and arrives without the same fuss.

I have finally joined the 21 century and upgraded from an Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Android 8) to an S22 (Android 13), so I now have the option to get one of these magic boxes, as they weren't compatible with my old brick đŸ˜‚

I am not familiar with either of these products, but from what I can tell from reading this thread, it appears that I will be waiting a while if I order AA :unsure:

Is there any loss in sound quality when using either of these products (Bluetooth) vs being connected via USB cable?

Where are you ordering the Carsifi from?
 
I have finally joined the 21 century and upgraded from an Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Android 8) to an S22 (Android 13), so I now have the option to get one of these magic boxes, as they weren't compatible with my old brick đŸ˜‚

I am not familiar with either of these products, but from what I can tell from reading this thread, it appears that I will be waiting a while if I order AA :unsure:

Is there any loss in sound quality when using either of these products (Bluetooth) vs being connected via USB cable?

Where are you ordering the Carsifi from?
That was my experience, but not sure if others got the aawireless without any hassles or not.

I ordered the Carsifi directly from their website:

Of course, not got that yet either, so could be a similar experience - but hope not! đŸ¤£

There shouldn't be any audio quality loss using these devices compared to a direct USB cable connection.
 
Carsifi arrived today.

Plugged it in, seemed to work with very little fuss.

IMG_20221219_123416_edit_282459395261586.jpg

Got the split screen working and found that Waze is easier to use use, as you can see more of the options with the resolution set to 103 (even on the smaller split screen).

But I spotted an issue.

"No Internet connection"

Phone is connected to the Carsifi via WiFi, and it's not allowing data to be transmitted over the mobile network whilst connected. This works fine on other WiFi connections (it will switch to mobile if it sees there's no Internet connection via the WiFi), but not the Carsifi one... đŸ¤”

Tried quite a few things, fake proxies, developer options, and then stumbled over the solution. Removed the WiFi connection it had made, and then when I tried again it gave me this:

Screenshot_20221219_143018_com.android.settings_edit_282346299343895.jpg

The key here is to select neither (can just ignore or click on something else to hide this dialogue box).

Now it all works fine:

IMG_20221219_143256.jpg

Got the AA working wirelessly, but can still access the Internet on my phone (which is obviously key).

Happy bunny now, but not celebrating completely until I go out for a drive later and I can see it's all working correctly.

UPDATE: All working well. Now just need to decide where to stick the device, so to speak...
 
Last edited:
Noticed that in the Carsifi settings, there's an option to disable the "tap blocking after 6 taps while driving". Is this the same as the scroll blocking, or something different? Always thought this 'feature' makes it more dangerous, but I understand why it's there - just terrible implementation.
 
Hello, I received my carsifi adapter. I already like it :) plug and play.
I have managed to hide it under the steering wheel, so I can access if something is wrong. Here some photos if someone is looking where to hide it.
Carsifi 2.webp
Carsifi 1.webp
 
So that adapter needs to be permanently connected to the car? To the one usb port we have? Any idea if there is an option to connect elsewhere? Could there be a second usb port behind the screen or behind the dash maybe?
I think I buy one too to test....I forget to pick my phone every 2nd time I leave the car, would be great to keep it in the pocket and use navi via bt

Edit just ordered one ;)
I run a wireless adapter behind the dash please see below some images hope they help.

Also have some spare blanking plugs if people want them.

IMG_4107.JPEG
FF340FA6-AFD0-4AD2-8C95-7ECD6F808BB8.jpg
C6A27977-CCCA-46B6-A400-2C891E930BDA.jpg
0658662D-7FF8-4BDD-BFF4-D889807998FD.jpg


 
  • Like
Reactions: Gyp
I have just received my Carsifi adapter and the QR code inside the box doesn't work as it says that is for older versions of Android? I have V14 of Android on my Samsung Galaxy S22. How do I get in to any settings if I can't access the app, or is this done via the touch screen once connected to Bluetooth?
 
This appears to be the most recent release, so perhaps try this @Martin GR4


Hi Chris, I have already tried this and failed as it comes up with a message saying that it is for older versions of Android.

I have however found this which works & I have just had a play around with the new toy.

https://www.apk20.com/apk/com.carsifi.adapter
 
Back
Top