GR86 Anyone managed to get any insurance quotes for the GR86?

I tried getting a quote from Admiral's website directly. Guess how much I was quoted for? Engineer, 28, no NCB, outer London.
£4000?
£5000?
£6000?
.
.
.
.
.
£10095 with black box!!!

------
On a serious note, would anyone know any other insurers that accept foreign NCB's? I have heard from other Hongkongers that Aviva, Admiral, and Marshmallow do, but only Admiral is on CTM at the moment. If anything, I might just go for a blackbox insurance costing £2500 if I can get my Hong Kong NCB recognised by Admiral. I hope the drilled holes behind the dashboard would be worth it...
4,5,6k I'm out if that's the cost, I know the GR86 is fast but not that fast, maybe it's the limited availability of parts if it's need to be fixed as it's not been made in the UK anymore????🤷‍♂️
 
Email from Toyota today confirming finance, no private reg and no p/ex.

Also, GR86 now on Admiral website. Just insured mine and with a start date of 12th November. Let's see how close to that date delivery actually is.
How did the price compare to your current/recent car/s?
 
it's not looking overly expensive for me atm, but honestly if it's over a 1k, i'd seriously think about cancelling.
 
£499 for me, pretty sure that was the same I got quoted for a ferrari california!
 
I had a quote from admiral too. I am paying about £300 for an Audi A4, 1.4tsi 2016 year and worth £10k. GR86 came in at £410. Not horrendous but I expect to get it a bit cheaper when more quote for it.
 
I think it will settle over the coming days. Although I was surprised at getting it for £150 for effectively 9mths cover so would be £200 for a full year. I'm 33, cars will be on drive, have 14yrs NCB. Seems the last 2 years insurance has been reasonable. Even the Street Triple is under £200 now.
 
Not sure if it will be any help to you specifically @FS1819 , but I know of colleagues who've used Adrian Flux previously when they've had foreign NCB.
Thank you. I’ll give them a call to see if they can help. I had been looking forward to the GR86 for a year and I don‘t want to cancel my order just because of insurance. I don’t really want anyone drilling holes behind my dashboard, but I’ll consider black box if it does bring the premium down a lot.

Update: Adrian Flux’s quote came in at a third higher than Admiral’s. Guess I’d better wait for marshmallow and the green one to add GR86 to their databases.
 
Last edited:
Comparethemarket not getting any quotes, will try confused.com otherwise will try direct....
 
I pay £247 for my Mazda MX-5. Best quote on compare the market is £694. Removing the spoiler made no difference.
 
Admiral, auto version of gr86 comes out approx £540.
GT86 is £290 at the moment but considering value of gr86 figure above is not crazy. I hope prices come down and stabilise
 
I've seen quite a few pictures of US cars that have been totaled and it got me thinking, what would happen if anyone wrote off a UK GR86? I guess they would get the insurance money but with low/no chance of getting a replacement/new one.
 
I've seen quite a few pictures of US cars that have been totaled and it got me thinking, what would happen if anyone wrote off a UK GR86? I guess they would get the insurance money but with low/no chance of getting a replacement/new one.
I wonder if it's worth exploring 'agreed value' insurance. If second hand GR86s end up closer to 40k then I'd be a bit miffed to 'only' get my invoice price back.
 
I wonder if it's worth exploring 'agreed value' insurance. If second hand GR86s end up closer to 40k then I'd be a bit miffed to 'only' get my invoice price back.
This was my concern... also I'm thinking gap insurance is a must
 
GAP insurance back to invoice for a couple of hundred quid for me. No point in getting a quote for "replacement car" as insurers probably couldn't!
 
Novice here...I thought GAP insurance was only applicable really for cars bought on finance. Can you still purchase it when you own the car outright?
And how does it work..do you just buy a GAP insurance product on top of your existing, mandatory insurance policy?
 
Novice here...I thought GAP insurance was only applicable really for cars bought on finance. Can you still purchase it when you own the car outright?
And how does it work..do you just buy a GAP insurance product on top of your existing, mandatory insurance policy?
It covers the difference between your insurance pay out - if the worst happens - and the price you paid for the car, or the money you would need for a replacement. There are a few different options when buying. Its not that expensive and you can vary the total cover you buy, the number of years cover etc..

I've done it on the last two cars I bought, both bought outright, one new, one a year old.

Its good for peice of mind and means that you won't get totally shafted by insurance industry, if the worst happens.

Having said all of that.. I doubt GAP insurance covers track use!
 
That's okay, I'm unlikely to take it to a track anyway. Cheers. Might think about that as well.
 
Is GAP insurance worth it considering it is likely that depreciation will be significantly lower
 
Back
Top