GR86 Anyone managed to get any insurance quotes for the GR86?

Direct Line still not quoting but do recognise the fleet car reg plates as being a gr86
Just called and same result. They see the car details (only when i gave them the TG plate) but can't get to the end of the quote but she said that its looking promising if they car is recognised. Going to call back next week and see what they say.

Just tried C.T.M. Came back as 454.76 for admiral. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it stays this low tbh. second car. 2000 miles per year. Social only. 37 with 10 years NCD (i'll have to start from 0 though)
 
Last edited:
Don't forget to use a cashback site if going via a comparison site, can often save an extra £25+ on top of the usual saving.

Tweaking the job description can also make a surprising difference.

The best quotes are normally given in the 20-23 day window from the policy start day, gradually increasing in cost closer to the date.

Some other good tips available below:

 
Oh wonderful, just under £700 for the year… This is also the cheapest quote without a telematics box.
Quite a chunk more than I currently pay but let’s just hope that once everyone else starts getting onboard, it will be a little more palatable.

For reference, I’m 31 with 8 years no claims and in a fairly “low risk” career. But I also live in a rough postcode so that’s probably the biggest factor.
 
Last edited:
I've been quoted on Compare the Market £932. I was paying previously on my GT86 with mods £500, so I'll definitely be calling around closer to when the time comes.

EDIT: 28 Years old, 6 years NCB, no points or claims.
 
Last edited:
Quotes appear to be working again on the Meerkat page. I was wrong before....lowest quote is £551, from Admiral. I changed the start date from 16th November to 1st November and that brought it down a tad, weirdly. I guess it's not too bad, but I'd really like to avoid Admiral. My girlfriend was insured with them when someone crashed into her car while it was parked last year, and the service from their "approved repair centre" was absolutely atrocious.

37yo, 7 years NCB, no points/claims, if it helps.
 
So mine have come down from earlier but still over £2.5k unless I want a telematics box. Hoping things settle down between now and December…
 
I’m being quoted over £3500 even with black box and £250 voluntary excess. I’m 28, no NCB, outer London. Ridiculous!
 
MoneySupermarket quoting me £434 via Admiral which is about the same as Admiral quote me for my '16 Focus RS. (but then I am an old bugger)

I'll be trying Aviva first though as they've been brilliant with insuring my RS even with modifications from day for the last 6 years. I've got 9 years NCD I earned on my other runabout so shouldn't be too expensive.
 
I have just got £364 from Admiral via Confused. Zero voluntary excess. 10 years NCB. 2 drivers in early 60's, both office based jobs. With legal and NCB protection. Car parked on driveway. Admiral Multicar brings it down to just over £300!

There are massive variations in these prices. I really feel for the folks getting really high quotes. I hope it settles down, and quickly!
 
Phoned Admiral. To add the car to policy and mirror the NCB discount it's £150. Bargain!

I have claimed with them years ago and while they initially say approved repairer, if you get a quote from your preferred repairer (I wanted to get Skoda to do it) they'll accept it. Have house insurance with them too as a friend has too and claimed for a gas leak and they were really good.
 
I tried getting a quote from Admiral's website directly. Guess how much I was quoted for? Engineer, 28, no NCB, outer London.
£4000?
£5000?
£6000?
.
.
.
.
.
£10095 with black box!!!

------
On a serious note, would anyone know any other insurers that accept foreign NCB's? I have heard from other Hongkongers that Aviva, Admiral, and Marshmallow do, but only Admiral is on CTM at the moment. If anything, I might just go for a blackbox insurance costing £2500 if I can get my Hong Kong NCB recognised by Admiral. I hope the drilled holes behind the dashboard would be worth it...
 
Coming in at £231 for the year for me with admiral who I'm currently with anyway. My previous mx5 with all mods declared was 160.
So just to add to this. To do a mid term change on my current policy is coming in at £73 additional. That's by filling out the car details manually not using a reg. My postcode is very cheap and I work in education which helps.
 
I tried getting a quote from Admiral's website directly. Guess how much I was quoted for? Engineer, 28, no NCB, outer London.
£4000?
£5000?
£6000?
.
.
.
.
.
£10095 with black box!!!

------
On a serious note, would anyone know any other insurers that accept foreign NCB's? I have heard from other Hongkongers that Aviva, Admiral, and Marshmallow do, but only Admiral is on CTM at the moment. If anything, I might just go for a blackbox insurance costing £2500 if I can get my Hong Kong NCB recognised by Admiral. I hope the drilled holes behind the dashboard would be worth it...
Not sure if it will be any help to you specifically @FS1819 , but I know of colleagues who've used Adrian Flux previously when they've had foreign NCB.
 
Thanks for the heads-up, going to start getting some quotes. Got the toyota update e-mail too:)
 
Seems like lots of variability in quotes - perhaps it needs to settle down in the insurance system if that's a thing?
 
Back
Top