GR Yaris 2020 GR Yaris G16E Engine Failure – Is It Really Common?

Acechu1997

New member
Joined
Oct 1, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I’m from Malaysia and just bought a 2020 First Edition GR Yaris.

Recently saw an Italian guy on YouTube and some Japanese posts saying G16E engine failure is quite common, especially on earlier cars.

Is this really a common issue? So far I haven’t seen anyone posting about engine failure in the Malaysian GR Yaris groups.

Any 2020–2021 owners here with high mileage or long-term experience? Stock or tuned?

Also wondering, could not following the recommended RON 98 fuel spec be one of the real reasons behind some of these piston/engine failures?

Mine already 34000 KM , stock car with MST V2 filter and OPF (CAT) delete , mine are JDM version with is second cat delete instead of OPF. Stock downpipe.
 
Low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) seems to be one of the main issues for engines failing. In fact one local to me went bang this week with this fault - Rod bearings left the chat. Car was approx 35,000km Gen1. Regular servicing with the right oil, driving habits, letting engine warm properly before adding load, using 98 RON fuel all help avoid it. Bar that if you are tracking it with semi slicks and wide rims, I would also recommend a baffled sump as some have gone bang from oil starvation cornering too.
 
Lack of lubrication end excessive heat = thermal stress is not good for this engine so take care of those items if pushing any hard. You can of course also rely on Relax warranty and dont care but personally like to take care using engine properly with precautions if car is driven any harder.
 
I think I know which Italian guy you mean, in which case it's notable he's in the business of selling aftermarket GR Yaris/G16E-GTS parts, which have their own history on this forum. The engine and car certainly have flaws, but people on youtube aren't necessarily incentivised to report them proportionally.

LSPI is definitely a problem for 2020, which is why the pistons were upgraded later. Most won't run into it, but it's catastrophic if they do. Unfortunately it's a very expensive engine to replace or rebuild with upgraded pistons.

Oil starvation is a problem for tracked cars, but I think to some extent that's true of any road car with a wet sump driven that hard. The baffles for the sump are a fairly cheap solution, but they also introduce the problem of someone making a mistake during installation. Some people just overfill to mitigate it.
 
I think I know which Italian guy you mean, in which case it's notable he's in the business of selling aftermarket GR Yaris/G16E-GTS parts, which have their own history on this forum. The engine and car certainly have flaws, but people on youtube aren't necessarily incentivised to report them proportionally.

LSPI is definitely a problem for 2020, which is why the pistons were upgraded later. Most won't run into it, but it's catastrophic if they do. Unfortunately it's a very expensive engine to replace or rebuild with upgraded pistons.

Oil starvation is a problem for tracked cars, but I think to some extent that's true of any road car with a wet sump driven that hard. The baffles for the sump are a fairly cheap solution, but they also introduce the problem of someone making a mistake during installation. Some people just overfill to mitigate it.
The piston upgrade was a change in coating only and the problem still exists. I originally doubted his claims of so many owners having something go bang but since mine went I was surprised to find out how many have even in the UK just no one talks about it.
 
Back
Top