GR86 Who will be getting an alarm fitted?

Will you be fitting an aftermarket alarm?

  • Yes Thatcham approved

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No

    Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Getting a tracker instead

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Undecided

    Votes: 4 18.2%

  • Total voters
    22
I don’t know if Toyota/Subaru are the same but I have been aware that some brands use different frequencies for their remotes in different makets from memory so this may be a hurdle.

We also don’t know without investigating whether there is an empty plug on the wiring harness or location in a fuse/relay box to plug in an alarm unit. Until that’s confirmed we’re operating under the assumption this is the case and that it would be relatively universal unit globally.

The final issue which I suspect may be the reason for resistance from Toyota is actually getting the system Thatcham approved. I have no idea how lengthy or costly that is as a process but may well be an additional reason they’re attempting to wriggle out of a fix.
 
After 1year of having the Cobra 4615 sitting on the shelf, I got round to installing it.

Cobra don't have wiring for the GR86 but the BCM looks the same as the GT86 so they were confident.

Well, the wiring is different and it won't install following the GT86 wiring instructions.

Currently working with Cobra Tech dept to see if we can work it out.
 
I appear to have got very lucky in getting the £500 payout without the requirement to provide a receipt for whatever solution I chose (possibly my naive email expressing surprise at the lack of an alarm as specified helped?).

As it happens, even before realising anything about there not being an alarm I’d bought one of these, purely for its convenience in not being remotely as bulky as a Stoplock or Disklok and therefore easier to keep on the back seat whilst driving without rattles etc.

The only difference since learning of the lack of a car alarm is that I press the button to set the alarm nowadays! I’m treating the £500 payment as compensation for potentially higher insurance premiums owing to the lack of security promised when ordering the car….

*I realise this isn’t the most sophisticated solution, but anything involving wiring looms and potential loss of the ten year warranty seems a bit risky
 
For me, I'm not worried about the car being taken, the immobiliser will cover that. I just want the car to activate the siren for break-in.

I know most people don't give a second thought about car alarms going off but hopefully it will make the thief rummaging around be quicker and hence not be as thorough about it, thus not take their time as if no siren.
 
I appear to have got very lucky in getting the £500 payout without the requirement to provide a receipt for whatever solution I chose (possibly my naive email expressing surprise at the lack of an alarm as specified helped?).

As it happens, even before realising anything about there not being an alarm I’d bought one of these, purely for its convenience in not being remotely as bulky as a Stoplock or Disklok and therefore easier to keep on the back seat whilst driving without rattles etc.

The only difference since learning of the lack of a car alarm is that I press the button to set the alarm nowadays! I’m treating the £500 payment as compensation for potentially higher insurance premiums owing to the lack of security promised when ordering the car….

*I realise this isn’t the most sophisticated solution, but anything involving wiring looms and potential loss of the ten year warranty seems a bit risky
Very interesting. Haven't seen these before. What actually triggers the alarm? Is it the lock being tampered with or is it vehicle movement (eg window being broken; car being rocked; someone getting in;)? I see from the pics that the top of the steering wheel apparently has to be more or less level with whatever is immediately in front on the dashboard - could you post a pic of the lock in place in your GR?

The other thing that springs to mind is whether this is a legitimate way of submitting a receipt to Toyota for recompense? They did offer to pay the cost of retrofitting when they replied to my email on the missing alarm.
 
As I stated, there was no requirement in my case to submit a receipt to Toyota for their ‘goodwill contribution’ - they offered the full amount (after I’d queried why there had been no response after a month other than an out-of-office reply to my initial email) should I wish to use a ‘non-genuine part’ to support the security of the vehicle, with no request for further information; they transferred the money to my account promptly when I accepted their offer.

Frankly, I have no idea why this approach wasn’t taken with everyone affected - even that offer was full of legalistic stuff about the Ombudsman and applications on a ‘case-by-case’ basis, though I’d have thought all those who bought at a time when an alarm was specified had an identical case and should be treated equally!?

Anyhow, the alarm is triggered by movement, and is pretty loud, as you’d expect. There is a degree of movement on the steering wheel when in place, hence the recommendation in their advertising to place it on a spoke, but moving it by that amount is sufficient to trigger it when the alarm is activated. I’d imagine any of the scenarios you stated would be sufficient to set it off, though obviously the alarm is inside the car rather than being within the engine bay - it would be pretty intolerable to all but the deaf with the doors closed, so probably loud enough as a deterrent to someone inside the car, and loud enough for others to hear once the door or window was opened.

They’re available on Amazon, though reviews from the likes of Auto Express vary wildly. It’s mainly on as a deterrent to casual, opportunist thieves rather than the most sophisticated.


IMG_0076.webp
 
I appear to have got very lucky in getting the £500 payout without the requirement to provide a receipt for whatever solution I chose (possibly my naive email expressing surprise at the lack of an alarm as specified helped?).

As it happens, even before realising anything about there not being an alarm I’d bought one of these, purely for its convenience in not being remotely as bulky as a Stoplock or Disklok and therefore easier to keep on the back seat whilst driving without rattles etc.

The only difference since learning of the lack of a car alarm is that I press the button to set the alarm nowadays! I’m treating the £500 payment as compensation for potentially higher insurance premiums owing to the lack of security promised when ordering the car….

*I realise this isn’t the most sophisticated solution, but anything involving wiring looms and potential loss of the ten year warranty seems a bit risky
I think a few of us would be interested to hear how and from whom exactly you managed to prize the £500 from. Despite a promise from Toyota pre-christmas, they changed the goal posts on me in January and therefore I did not receive the money. It's not the money itself I find issue with, it's the principle.
 
Nope, I couldn't give a floof about an alarm, also I couldn't see me parking on my driveway with the steering wheel at -90 and the wheels off-centre just to accommodate that Artago 870; it'd do my OCD napper in. I'll stick with my Stoplock Pro for a visual deterrant for now thanks. The Ghost is enough to keep the GR86 from being driven away, even if they do manage to squeeze it passed the 2 tonne pick-up parked tight behind it ... 🏋️‍♂️
 
Back
Top