ksc
Absorbed member
- Dec 16, 2021
- 53
- 52
Seems like Garage Whifbitz have released a new sports cat for the GR Yaris (and GR Corolla).
It comes in at a lot cheaper than the options I've seen from other manufacturers, which I considered pretty high up the cost:benefit scale. I'll be interested to see if any user reports come in on this. I'm also interested in where the price difference comes from: my understanding of sports cats was that they are legitimately catalysing the exhaust gases, but skirting closer to emissions limits and doing so more efficiently using more complex geometry.
Whifbitz always say their sports cats/decats are exclusively for motorsport cars - and I'm sure they are - but I thought this nugget was interesting:
AFAIK HJS have a type-approved sports cat but Miltech's isn't. Of course, an empty pipe for your motorsport vehicle is even cheaper
It comes in at a lot cheaper than the options I've seen from other manufacturers, which I considered pretty high up the cost:benefit scale. I'll be interested to see if any user reports come in on this. I'm also interested in where the price difference comes from: my understanding of sports cats was that they are legitimately catalysing the exhaust gases, but skirting closer to emissions limits and doing so more efficiently using more complex geometry.
Whifbitz always say their sports cats/decats are exclusively for motorsport cars - and I'm sure they are - but I thought this nugget was interesting:
Presumably this puts it in the same category as GPF deletes. The legality of those, and their insurability, and their morality, is a topic that has been discussed in depth on this forum, but they're clearly passing MOTs.Although this sports catalyst is capable of achieving emissions levels suitable to pass an MOT emissions test on a correctly maintained vehicle, it is not MOT compliant due to the high-flow catalyst construction and lack of OEM type approval. It may therefore fail the visual inspection element of the MOT test.
AFAIK HJS have a type-approved sports cat but Miltech's isn't. Of course, an empty pipe for your motorsport vehicle is even cheaper
