GR86 Toyota GR86 or Porsche Cayman - Which is better at the same price?

Hmmm, not really what I wanted to hear really.

Reminded me all the reasons I loved my Cayman and was happy to give it up for the 86 when that was to be my daily driver and I needed the increased practicality.

86 is to just be a toy now and I'm not yet convicted it will be special enough to fill that role like the Cayman did. Lots of pressure on the thoughts of a 30 minute test drive so far!! 🤦‍♂️
 
Just gonna say that, practically speaking which may be more important long term then some think initially, it should at least be compared to a 911 but it's actually even more practical (foldable rear seats to put bigger in).

If practicality means nothing, then yes possibly a mid engined low cg 2 seater might be even better.
 
I watched it this morning too.

No doubt the Cayman is a great car but I think you really need to compare the total ownership cost over say 10 years, not just the purchase price. Would be much higher for the Porsche when/if things go wrong than the GR which has a 10yr warranty, so really to allow for maintenance you probably need to compare the GR to a £10-15K Porsche, not a £30K one. Also maybe I’m a bit weird but I’d feel a bit of a cock driving a Porsche, much prefer the underdog status of a Toyota!
 
Thanks for this @Conscript , finally got around to watching it.

I do like the Everyday Driver content and this was another top vid.

A good nuanced view setting out the benefits of what are two outstanding cars, both of which I'd be delighted and immensely thankful to own.

One personal view (which I appreciate may not be widely shared): I do find the Cayman to look rather dated and I think they look worse as they get older. This is the exact opposite of 911s which only seem to get better with age. Not really that important and totally subjective of course (and biased being a former air-cooled 911 owner); feel free to politely disagree and critique!
 
Thanks for this @Conscript , finally got around to watching it.

I do like the Everyday Driver content and this was another top vid.

A good nuanced view setting out the benefits of what are two outstanding cars, both of which I'd be delighted and immensely thankful to own.

One personal view (which I appreciate may not be widely shared): I do find the Cayman to look rather dated and I think they look worse as they get older. This is the exact opposite of 911s which only seem to get better with age. Not really that important and totally subjective of course (and biased being a former air-cooled 911 owner); feel free to politely disagree and critique!
Yeah I’d kind of agree regarding a run of the mill Cayman/S but I feel the GT4’s of 981 and 718 generations will remain pretty fresh and special looking, especially in wild colours! I think the GTS still looks great too, especially the newer 4.0.
A3837E84-8E63-43E5-B1AD-E799D96E3F22.webp
 
I think the 987 is getting better with age personallly... for me it had to be post 2009 with the improved rear light clusters and a good set of wheels makes such a difference. Granted it is no 911, but somehow it looked leagues better than similarly aged Boxsters IMO.

Seeing mine out the window at work always made me excited for the drive home, anyway.

Capture.webp
 
Back
Top