GR Supra Time for an oil change?

Nick

Totally Hooked
Joined
Dec 6, 2021
Messages
934
Reaction score
1,945
Location
West Midlands
Now I realise that my Supra isn't due for a service until it's 2nd birthday or 20 thousand miles, but 2 years seems an awful long time to run the car on the same oil. My car's coming up to 12 months soon, so it's got me thinking, should I get it changed? What have others who've had these cars for longer done, should I not worry about it, or is it worth getting it done soon?
 
Now I realise that my Supra isn't due for a service until it's 2nd birthday or 20 thousand miles, but 2 years seems an awful long time to run the car on the same oil. My car's coming up to 12 months soon, so it's got me thinking, should I get it changed? What have others who've had these cars for longer done, should I not worry about it, or is it worth getting it done soon?
Nick

Do you know what the cost of an oil change is ? if is not exorbitant I’d be doing one every 12 months If I was planning on keeping the car long term.
 
Nick

Do you know what the cost of an oil change is ? if is not exorbitant I’d be doing one every 12 months If I was planning on keeping the car long term.
No I've not checked yet, and that's what I was thinking, but wanted to know if others had done the same or if I'm possibly wasting my money.
 
Modern oils can go far further between changes than oils of old. Manufacturers will still have some margin on top of the 20,000 miles and are clearly happy to provide warranty with the service schedule they have designed.

Obviously there will be many that are happy to change it sooner.
 
Now I realise that my Supra isn't due for a service until it's 2nd birthday or 20 thousand miles, but 2 years seems an awful long time to run the car on the same oil. My car's coming up to 12 months soon, so it's got me thinking, should I get it changed? What have others who've had these cars for longer done, should I not worry about it, or is it worth getting it done soon?
Had the same thoughts myself so changed it at 7000, I used liqui moly top Tec 6600 this oil ticks all of the requirements and available at a decent price.
Screenshot_20210921_131754_com.ebay.mobile.webp
 
No matter how oils have developed and I will admit they have, it is far better to change the oil more often 6000 miles would be the maximum I would go between oil changes. I do the intermediate ones myself using OEM filter. Our Mini is scheduled for two yearly oil change but changing it yearly it looks very dirty and you get a feeling you have done something worthwhile £60 usually covers the cost using good quality products.
 
Thanks everyone for the responses, you confirmed what I was thinking.
 
BMW suggest 30000 Kms service, Toyota NZ were like "no thanks we will go with yearly or 15000"
 
I was just about to post a thread about this, but this has all been very helpful!

My Toyota dealer are recommending a service plan that is once ever 2 years and that seems a bit mad to me! They also don't have anything for the 2.0, but maybe in time. Maybe I'm just used to driving old diva cars, but a service at least once a year always seems the norm.

The service plan seems a bit on the steep side to me at 970 for two services, but then again not sure what they entail yet... Does this sound about right to you folks? I thought most service plans are like £20 a month...

Lastly, anyone considered going to BMW? I just get a feeling they might know a bit more about these engines...
 
I was just about to post a thread about this, but this has all been very helpful!

My Toyota dealer are recommending a service plan that is once ever 2 years and that seems a bit mad to me! They also don't have anything for the 2.0, but maybe in time. Maybe I'm just used to driving old diva cars, but a service at least once a year always seems the norm.

The service plan seems a bit on the steep side to me at 970 for two services, but then again not sure what they entail yet... Does this sound about right to you folks? I thought most service plans are like £20 a month...

Lastly, anyone considered going to BMW? I just get a feeling they might know a bit more about these engines...
I’d stick with Toyota make sure I keep the 10 year warranty in good order and keep the “full Toyota service history“ complete. It’s worth checking if any of your local Toyota dealers offer discount to members of the Toyotaownersclub.U.K. Some offer 10/15% of service and parts , cost to join is around £30 for 2 years.


 
I’d stick with Toyota make sure I keep the 10 year warranty in good order and keep the “full Toyota service history“ complete. It’s worth checking if any of your local Toyota dealers offer discount to members of the Toyotaownersclub.U.K. Some offer 10/15% of service and parts , cost to join is around £30 for 2 years.



Thanks for the advice, this is really helpful! They've now sent a plan that has a service yearly, so I think that will make the most sense.
 
Thanks for the advice, this is really helpful! They've now sent a plan that has a service yearly, so I think that will make the most sense.
Still worth checking if they offer discounts to TOCUK members , some offer discounts on service plans too 👍
 
Back
Top