GR86 Test Drives Email!

86GR

Obsessed member
Feb 11, 2022
Well that seems like a pretty simple piece of DIY . . . think I may be able to avoid splashing out on an accelerator pedal extension!
Yeah, you can also adjust the clutch pedal lower too, which I’d probably look to do while I was down there.

mackie

Obsessed member
Apr 19, 2022
Hertfordshire
Well that seems like a pretty simple piece of DIY . . . think I may be able to avoid splashing out on an accelerator pedal extension!
The prescence of the knurling on the pushrod suggests to me that it can be adjusted without removing anything, just undo the locknut and then use the knurling to rotate the pushrod and then adjust the switch to match.

--Rage--

Totally Hooked
Apr 19, 2022
West Sussex
Finally got my test drive at Gatwick. Only allowed ‘15 mins’ on an accompanied test drive.

After making my way all the way to the dealership and waiting around for 30 mins to be told the car wasn’t onsite last week, then waiting around for 45 mins to be seen today. Really wasn’t worth it.

Probably had about 5 mins of actual driving time and had to push for another 5 mins. In my limited time didn’t think the road noise was too bad, the clutch will take some getting used to and hate the indicators.

Someone has already kerbed the alloys and there was paint make on the wing from someone opening the GR Yaris door next to it.

BOOSTFAN

Obsessed member
Apr 28, 2022
Leeds
Finally got my test drive at Gatwick. Only allowed ‘15 mins’ on an accompanied test drive.

After making my way all the way to the dealership and waiting around for 30 mins to be told the car wasn’t onsite last week, then waiting around for 45 mins to be seen today. Really wasn’t worth it.

Probably had about 5 mins of actual driving time and had to push for another 5 mins. In my limited time didn’t think the road noise was too bad, the clutch will take some getting used to and hate the indicators.

Someone has already kerbed the alloys and there was paint make on the wing from someone opening the GR Yaris door next to it.
Shocking, we had a good 30mins & both of us got to drive the car together.

Reactions: --Rage--

86GR

Obsessed member
Feb 11, 2022

I was chucked the keys and the guy practically apologised that someone else was taking it out later so I’d need to get it back to them in 3 hours. If you aren’t happy with the service, change dealer, that what I did when they were being flakey about a test drive.

--Rage--

Totally Hooked
Apr 19, 2022
West Sussex
I was chucked the keys and the guy practically apologised that someone else was taking it out later so I’d need to get it back to them in 3 hours. If you aren’t happy with the service, change dealer, that what I did when they were being flakey about a test drive.
Very very tempted I’m not going to lie.

Just very convenient. Near my office and opposite where I will be going for PPF.

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
There are plenty of dealerships, i wouldn’t give my hard earned to someone who didn’t treat me as a valued customer. Can’t speak to highly of my local dealership, JRT, when a I asked if my son could have a test drive in the GR86 for his birthday they said “no problem“ I didn’t expect this when we got to the car 👍😍

2A7639C7-C23B-4677-81D9-0080A1D9C529.jpeg

Stardus.

Dedicated member
Mar 15, 2022
Such a nice gesture! Shame that my dealer experience have been rather poor and seems to be also hit or miss for many others too.

Reactions: AndyRC

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Such a nice gesture! Shame that my dealer experience have been rather poor and seems to be also hit or miss for many others too.
👍😎 TBH there are very few dealership I‘ve come across like JRT, they want you as customer who will keep coming back time and time again , everyone has the same attitude no matter who you deal with. Less than half a mile away are several dealerships that treat you like 💩 on their shoe 🤬

Prestonese

Dedicated member
Apr 14, 2022
London
Finally got round to driving one today. The blue one at Edgware Road with 375 miles on the clock and a rather bent looking left side rear exhaust....

Coming from 50 year old classic cars, this thing is very quiet! I remember driving the GT86 a while back thinking it was noisy and difficult to live with but the GR86 is not that. It's also quieter and better damped than the GR Yaris from what I recall.

The damping and suspension stood out for me and I loved the linear nature of the engine. It's pitched just right for power and character. Could do with a bit more soul perhaps? A 911T on Webers would be my preference on for interesting roads if I can put up with the beating on motorways getting there but the GR86 is very refined but is very useable with some character and is probably for me the one car that does it all (I'm staring down at you, M3 Touring). All good stuff.

My order is in the Derby car park at the moment.

Bathroom_Security

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
Surrey
I found it runs far better on e5 premium than the standard e10 dog shit 95.

Pulls harder at the top, a noticeable difference. It's no Honda K20 though

It's lack luster in terms of sound, a very agricultural engine. Improved with an exhaust for sure.

ritch

Dedicated member
Apr 27, 2022
Belfast
IMG_0574.jpeg
IMG_0573.jpeg
IMG_0572.jpeg
70559692625__DD1BED4B-1726-49E7-9778-A9BD2E2160A6.jpeg

Finally managed to get a test drive at short notice yesterday.

We were not supposed to be getting demonstrators over here in Northern Ireland so it was a nice surprise to get the offer.

I left with a good impression at a well judged package that has me eager for my delivery now.

After driving all of two hundred miles in a manual car in the last five years it took a while to get a smooth action with the clutch but the gearbox felt like a nice short throw reminiscent of a WRX I have driven previously.

T minus one month to go!

jb1750

Obsessed member
Apr 15, 2022
View attachment 16594View attachment 16595View attachment 16596View attachment 16597

Finally managed to get a test drive at short notice yesterday.

We were not supposed to be getting demonstrators over here in Northern Ireland so it was a nice surprise to get the offer.

I left with a good impression at a well judged package that has me eager for my delivery now.

After driving all of two hundred miles in a manual car in the last five years it took a while to get a smooth action with the clutch but the gearbox felt like a nice short throw reminiscent of a WRX I have driven previously.

T minus one month to go!
Great stuff! Hope to see you out and about in your car soon - what colour did you go for??
So glad we actually got a demonstrator over here as I was thinking of cancelling before I had the loan of this car for a day a few weeks ago…
A few pics from then -
Traffic warden was a fan and new all about it
Pit stop beside the dependable daily
Came out if the shops and a red BRZ had appeared…

Attachments

IMG_2427.jpeg IMG_2426.jpeg IMG_2425.jpeg

ritch

Dedicated member
Apr 27, 2022
Belfast
Great stuff! Hope to see you out and about in your car soon - what colour did you go for??
So glad we actually got a demonstrator over here as I was thinking of cancelling before I had the loan of this car for a day a few weeks ago…
A few pics from then -
Traffic warden was a fan and new all about it
Pit stop beside the dependable daily
Came out if the shops and a red BRZ had appeared…
Hi @jb1750 I’ve went for electric blue, nice Saab, there is a mint convertible turbo comes down round my work occasionally, the tartan interior is great.

Reactions: jb1750

jb1750

Obsessed member
Apr 15, 2022
Hi @jb1750 I’ve went for electric blue, nice Saab, there is a mint convertible turbo comes down round my work occasionally, the tartan interior is great.
Cool - it’ll be epic to see yours on the road! I’ll be the guy in the sensible silver one waving like a dork (if it ever gets here…)

GR86Enthusiast

Dedicated member
Dec 7, 2022
Cumbria
Finally got round to driving one today. The blue one at Edgware Road with 375 miles on the clock and a rather bent looking left side rear exhaust....

Coming from 50 year old classic cars, this thing is very quiet! I remember driving the GT86 a while back thinking it was noisy and difficult to live with but the GR86 is not that. It's also quieter and better damped than the GR Yaris from what I recall.

The damping and suspension stood out for me and I loved the linear nature of the engine. It's pitched just right for power and character. Could do with a bit more soul perhaps? A 911T on Webers would be my preference on for interesting roads if I can put up with the beating on motorways getting there but the GR86 is very refined but is very useable with some character and is probably for me the one car that does it all (I'm staring down at you, M3 Touring). All good stuff.

Enjoyed reading your post.

I totally agree with you regarding the damping/suspension and the linear nature of the power delivery.

Enjoyed using the wonderful manual gearbox too.

Crassas

Absorbed member
May 23, 2022
London

I drove that one too. Last time I drove past it though the passenger tyre looked freshly replaced. Likely a curb wallop! Funny it's same side as tale pipe...

Don't you think the car feeling refined is more so cause its naturally aspirated?

Prestonese

Dedicated member
Apr 14, 2022
London
I drove that one too. Last time I drove past it though the passenger tyre looked freshly replaced. Likely a curb wallop! Funny it's same side as tale pipe...

Don't you think the car feeling refined is more so cause its naturally aspirated?
The front passenger side wheel was still gnarled up when I drove it! Only 380 miles on the clock and it looked like 38000 on the outside. London driving for you......