GR86 Straightforward question: Standard/original vs. modified/personalised

I will:


  • Total voters
    46
I like that there are differing answers here.

It will make it more interesting if/when we all end up standing together in a car park somewhere on a cold drizzly freezing day drinking horrible coffee pointing at each other's cars.
 
I’m thinking of wheels/lowering/spacers because of how ugly the space on unmodified cars looks like. But that mod can be easily reverted.

I’ve also considered skirts, but the price is a big factor here and the OEM ones are really expensive and can’t tell if they wouldn’t rub on my driveway 😭

Definitely staying away from exhaust mods this time around…
 
I do still have the Eibach spacers I used on my GT86, and I was going to keep them to use on the GR. But so far, I'm not sure the new car will benefit from them as much; the wheels don't look quite as lost in the arches as the previous gen. If that's the case, I'll sell them on.
 
I do still have the Eibach spacers I used on my GT86, and I was going to keep them to use on the GR. But so far, I'm not sure the new car will benefit from them as much; the wheels don't look quite as lost in the arches as the previous gen. If that's the case, I'll sell them on.
Same here got some waiting to go on. I think the standard 18s on these will mean they're not needed as much compared to the standard 17s on the GT86

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
 
Back tracking take on this. The GT86 I had I modified in a OEM+ spirit to the extent that I feel it became very similar to the developments done to the GR86. Thoroughly enjoyed owning it and hence don't feel the need to repeat it with the GR86. At the same time, if I did it again, I would just buy a GR86 (I still can over here) as it had adressed most of the issues with the concept and not bother modifying it if it keeps me happy.

Message being, it's a great car, however if you can truly improve a car for yourself, do it and it might save you buying (many) (an)other car(s)....
 
14 years of modifying cars has taught me a lot about cars and car design. Modifying almost always comes with a degree of compromise, whether that’s longevity, reliability, practicality, NVH. The OEMs are very good at what they do. I am very tempted to leave this one alone (with the exception of fancy brakes). I only modified my GT86 as I felt it needed it, if this car is as well sorted as it’s made out to be I don’t think the temptation will be there.
 
Mine is getting an aftermarket immobiliser and tracker fitted within days of delivery, then a paint correction and ceramic coating.

Leave it stock for a while, then it’ll be exhaust swiftly followed by wheels, springs/coilovers.
 
Mechanically, I will leave it as is for a while, although if we do start enjoying the odd track days - I may well upgrade the brakes.
Visually, duck tail spoiler and black roof wrap.
 
Already have the following to add (and remove if/when I sell):

GR Gear Knob
GR Ducktail Spoiler
US Front Reg Plate Mount
Invidia Q300 Cat-back Exhaust
18" x 8.5" Multispoke Alloys in Satin Gold or Bronze (dropping off at powder coating place tomorrow)
Gas Struts for bonnet

Has been an expensive wait since April 12th - too much time to buy goodies ahead of car arriving!
 
1EE91B9F-7F3F-4B57-985B-3C235CB4D4BE.webp
 
Until I get my car I don't know where it may have deficiencies (if at all) in how I want to drive it with the odd track day.

I'm guessing some better pads and brake fluid will help any potential brake fade, and other than that I don't feel the urge to heavily modify cars again. Done that for 25+ years and CBA anymore!
 
If I keep mine it'll get modified, but I'm still undecided on where to keep it.

I've already bought a mod for it, but if it doesn't get used on my car it can go on my brothers car.
 
Back
Top