GR86 Sold Out!

this poison

Absorbed member
Dec 1, 2023
Shropshire
I got offered a test drive from 69 different locations when I ordered my GR86 3 weeks ago.

Car sold out in 90mins in 2022? But (at least) 69 cars (of the originals) are demos?

Smelly.

kacpr

Dedicated member
Apr 19, 2022
Northamptonshire
Reactions: this poison and ZN8

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
I got offered a test drive from 69 different locations when I ordered my GR86 3 weeks ago.

Car sold out in 90mins in 2022? But (at least) 69 cars (of the originals) are demos?

Smelly.
What makes you think they all got their demos in 2022?

Reactions: this poison

this poison

Absorbed member
Dec 1, 2023
Shropshire
What makes you think they all got their demos in 2022?
Nothing does. I don’t believe they did.

In trying to buy a GR86 I only heard “all sold out” and then “we’ve found some more” from Toyota - did I miss loads of stuff in between, or did the dealers just source loads of demonstrators (to be sold by them at 10 to 20% above retail) as a service to us all?

Triggaaar

Totally Hooked
Jul 6, 2023
Brighton
In trying to buy a GR86 I only heard “all sold out” and then “we’ve found some more” from Toyota

The first year's supply did sell out in about 90 minutes I believe.

Then the second year's supply sold out online, as reported by post one in this thread, but plenty of people (including me) ended up cancelling their order. There's not a lot Toyota can do about that.

did I miss loads of stuff in between, or did the dealers just source loads of demonstrators (to be sold by them at 10 to 20% above retail) as a service to us all?
Where is a dealer selling an ex-demo at over the RRP?

Reactions: this poison

this poison

Absorbed member
Dec 1, 2023
Shropshire
The first year's supply did sell out in about 90 minutes I believe.

Then the second year's supply sold out online, as reported by post one in this thread, but plenty of people (including me) ended up cancelling their order. There's not a lot Toyota can do about that.

Where is a dealer selling an ex-demo at over the RRP?
Now? Nowhere.

Last year, we’re you not looking for a GR86, or asleep?

I believe members of the public bought (and always will) cars to sell above list (stinks).

I also believe Toyota Dealers in the UK (not “Toyota”) were a bit naughty. Happy to be wrong, stinks worse.

Genuinely surprised if folks didn’t see GR86s with very low mileage for much of mid 2023 at £34 to £39k - that was all I could find, most in dealers forecourts.

Got a new one in December so I’m happy!

Triggaaar

Totally Hooked
Jul 6, 2023
Brighton
Last year, we’re you not looking for a GR86, or asleep?

Given that I had one reserved with Toyota, and then bought one under list, yes, I was looking.

I also believe Toyota Dealers in the UK (not “Toyota”) were a bit naughty. Happy to be wrong, stinks worse.

I'm not sure the dealers sold their demo models for over list. Maybe they bought one off of someone who had ordered one, and they offered that for sale? But that's not an ex-demo.

Genuinely surprised if folks didn’t see GR86s with very low mileage for much of mid 2023 at £34 to £39k - that was all I could find, most in dealers forecourts.

I certainly saw lots being offered, but I'm not sure about people actually buying them for well over rrp. I bought mine as new, 1 month old with 100 extra miles on the clock, for £4k under rrp.

this poison

Absorbed member
Dec 1, 2023
Shropshire
Hope you are as pleased with yours as I am.

I saw lots of GR86s on autotrader last year like this (current) one below.

I still believe Toyota dealers held demonstrators they did not need (and could have sold at list to the likes of us) and listed at higher prices.

Attachments

2063B31F-595C-4E13-B40A-1B29CE13D51D.png

Triggaaar

Totally Hooked
Jul 6, 2023
Brighton
Maybe this was just the last RRP + paint but it was what was offered to me in October 23,

That's about £500 over rrp with paint. I doubt they were able to sell it at that price.

But once they stopped being on sale, it makes sense that they sell their demonstrators. What I'm not so sure about is the idea that the limited sales were due to dealers buying them with the intention of selling them to us at a profit.

this poison

Absorbed member
Dec 1, 2023
Shropshire
That's about £500 over rrp with paint. I doubt they were able to sell it at that price.

But once they stopped being on sale, it makes sense that they sell their demonstrators. What I'm not so sure about is the idea that the limited sales were due to dealers buying them with the intention of selling them to us at a profit.
Fair point - hopefully we can agree that some tried or are trying, but I accept that it may not have been as many as it seemed to me when I was looking last year.

As I said earlier in the thread I was stunned that there were so many demonstrators available for test drive for a fairly low volume/seems to sell itself little sports car.

Reactions: Triggaaar