GR86 More cars on the way..

Still don't know how I feel about that. And if some of these end up in better specs than what we've ordered, that could hurt us long term, like the latest US ones come with Eyesight, Performance packs becoming available.
 
Still don't know how I feel about that. And if some of these end up in better specs than what we've ordered, that could hurt us long term, like the latest US ones come with Eyesight, Performance packs becoming available.
1000 is still a very small number and there has been nothing to say the remainder will have any change of spec, unless I’ve missed something
 
If double the cars means half the wait time on windscreens and anything else we might need then thats all good with me!

Sounds like they're just prioritising production for the UK as it's a time limited market with known demand and will switch back to other regions once the window closes. Sensible!

If people don't take up their offers of cars then they just won't make them.
 
Looks like internet hearsay from a random Spanish article saying 4400 to Europe in the 2 years, but I remember not being able to even find that article at the time.

They've sold way more than that in the US already by the looks of it
 
c.1,000 cars still means rarity and I would have happily bought mine regardless of numbers.

As stated above, more cars should mean more parts availability and we might even get cheaper insurance (although I'm not holding my breath for the latter!).

I suppose there is an argument that the whole "order now, when they're gone they're gone, last chance to buy this type of car, gone in 90 mins" pitch/chatter from Toyota last year was slightly disingenuous, but paying £2.5k less and having had the pleasure of driving my car for the last six months (not to mention the lower finance rate for those taking it) assuages this!
 
I suppose there is an argument that the whole "order now, when they're gone they're gone, last chance to buy this type of car, gone in 90 mins" pitch/chatter from Toyota last year was slightly disingenuous

I’ll concede, through gritted teeth, that we don’t know for sure. The GT86 wasn’t exactly a big volume seller in the U.K. for Toyota so it may well have been the case and the 90 mins line (minus any cancellations after the fact) was legit. Then TUK lobbied for more on that basis and subsequently got granted a modest additional allocation. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That said Toyota Online are still a collection of muppets who massively mishandled the process of many of our cars though. I’d have given them a little slack but they’ve been there before with the Yaris so they should have known the customer base they were attempting to keep happy. They were calamitous even with some of the basics !
 
Last edited:
c.1,000 cars still means rarity and I would have happily bought mine regardless of numbers.

As stated above, more cars should mean more parts availability and we might even get cheaper insurance (although I'm not holding my breath for the latter!).

I suppose there is an argument that the whole "order now, when they're gone they're gone, last chance to buy this type of car, gone in 90 mins" pitch/chatter from Toyota last year was slightly disingenuous, but paying £2.5k less and having had the pleasure of driving my car for the last six months (not to mention the lower finance rate for those taking it) assuages this!
Absolutely agree with what you have said. If different specs do appear then I may feel slightly miffed, however I would be having a conversation with Toyota about said upgrades and possibly having the option to buy at a reduced rate.
I'm lucky at having my car for 3 months already and at 4.9% Apr on the finance, which Toyota very fairly honoured.
 
I'll concur that I think there's something very appealing about having a very limited/rare car; not least because I really enjoy spotting other peoples' modest selling cars from over the years. They absolutely don't have to be expensive cars (when bought) either; it's great to see stuff like Clio Williams, UK Integra Type R, Fiat Barchetta, Mazda 6 MPS etc. In my head the GR86 sits with these (if not now, in the future).

However, I'd be very happy to sacrifice some of this rarity/novelty value if it means more enthusiasts get to enjoy what is a unique, 'last chance', attainable product nowadays.

Note: This does not apply to those who think they can flip and make a quick few quid. Them fools can go boil their heads.

PS: I'm not bothered about any additional equipment added either; I like my cars basic and have everything I need and nothing I don't presently, except for the obvious feature of course...
 
Last edited:
I'll concur that I think there's something very appealing about having a very limited/rare car; not least because I really enjoy spotting other peoples' modest selling cars from over the years. They absolutely don't have to be expensive cars (when bought) either; it's great to see stuff like Clio Williams, UK Integra Type R, Fiat Barchetta, Mazda 6 MPS etc. In my head the GR86 sits with these (if not now, in the future).

However, I'd be very happy to sacrifice some of this rarity/novelty value if it means more enthusiasts get to enjoy what is a unique, 'last chance', attainable product nowadays.

Note: This does not apply to those who think they can flip and make a quick few quid. Them fools can go boil their heads.

PS: I'm not bothered about any additional equipment added either; I like my cars basic and have everything I need and nothing I don't presently, except for the obvious feature of course...
I'm happy with the kit we get. I didn't bother getting the parking sensors either but did think would that affect values in future. I don't ever plan on selling it but things change, often unexpectedly. The Eyesight stuff I wouldn't be interested in but would be in the Performance Pack.
 
I'll concur that I think there's something very appealing about having a very limited/rare car; not least because I really enjoy spotting other peoples' modest selling cars from over the years. They absolutely don't have to be expensive cars (when bought) either; it's great to see stuff like Clio Williams, UK Integra Type R, Fiat Barchetta, Mazda 6 MPS etc. In my head the GR86 sits with these (if not now, in the future).

However, I'd be very happy to sacrifice some of this rarity/novelty value if it means more enthusiasts get to enjoy what is a unique, 'last chance', attainable product nowadays.

Note: This does not apply to those who think they can flip and make a quick few quid. Them fools can go boil their heads.

PS: I'm not bothered about any additional equipment added either; I like my cars basic and have everything I need and nothing I don't presently, except for the obvious feature of course...

Have to say as a former owner of a Renault 5 Turbo (first car after passing my test and miraculously never binned it!) I know what you mean. They landed in the U.K. in far lower volumes than the Peugeot 205 GTi so it’s an even rarer pleasant spot out of the roads than most similar era cars. Many of my mates and lads up and down the country definitely contributed to some pretty hefty attrition in the 90’s -00’s 🙈

Only things I’d change about my car in all honesty would have been red carpet the JDM models could option, a factory fitted ducktail spoiler and a “track pack” brake and suspension combo that the Trueno edition received. The rest I’m not really worried about.
 
I don’t believe the spec has changed, and they’re no longer offering rear sensors FOC.
I checked on the My Toyota app and my car has arrived at Portbury apparently! I only ordered it on 9th June!
IMG_4739.webp
 
I’ll concede, through gritted teeth, that we don’t know for sure. The GT86 wasn’t exactly a big volume seller in the U.K. for Toyota so it may well have been the case and the 90 mins line (minus any cancellations after the fact) was legit. Then TUK lobbied for more on that basis and subsequently got granted a modest additional allocation. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That said Toyota Online are still a collection of muppets who massively mishandled the process of many of our cars though. I’d have given them a little slack but they’ve been there before with the Yaris so they should have known the customer base they were attempting to keep happy. They were calamitous even with some of the basics !
Just to try and have a little balance here.....
personally I found them to be professional, friendly and helpful ever since the outset.
My car is being handed over on Friday and will be the end of this particular journey with Toyota Online......
I have built a good rapport with a couple of their staff one of whom was the person who was handling my 'case'. Nothing was too much trouble and felt that my questions were answered constructively with what information was at hand.
The thing is they've done their best for all of us..... so next time you look at the 86 parked outside remember that we needed those guys to guide us to our cars.
A very difficult and unique situation and quite removed from their 'normal' daily work activities......
I for one am pleased and happy with their support 👍
 
I kind of feel bad for that guy who has been coming here with different usernames (probably) and telling us there's loads more cars coming, only to be dismissed and mocked!

He must feel just like that scientist/doctor/cop etc. at the beginning of every disaster or zombie or alien invasion film that no one takes any notice of, until the emerging chaos and destruction proves him/her/them right all along.

Although he did say recently (before being unceremoniously ejected) that silver was a "terrible colour", so f*ck him.
 
Article on Autocar today saying Toyota might fully adopt the agency model, hhmmm.
 
Article on Autocar today saying Toyota might fully adopt the agency model, hhmmm.
most franchises will go this way. My local Toyota dealer Hendy will no longer sell Toyota/Lexus in a few months time.
 
The whole GR86 online purchase is a trial of this agency model.
You buy online, specify your dealer, and they prepare the car and handover for a fixed fee.
Be interesting to know what it is?
Maybe as low as £500 a car?
That's not a lot, if you think the workshop has to PDI the car, test drive it, then it gets valeted, then sales admin registers it then salesperson hands over.
Maybe it is a percentage based on the value of the car?
 
Back
Top