GR Yaris Irregular servicing and maintenance

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Joined
Dec 16, 2021
Messages
528
Reaction score
692
Location
Isle of Man
There are a million threads on servicing schedules but there are some GRY owners that drive their cars infrequently and perhaps don't stick to the 'official' schedule. Whether you are involved in track/hillclimb, weekend 'fast road' or only use the car for other purposes intermittently, I just wanted to ascertain what people think are important components to servicing and maintenance?

In my case, a June '21 car, I had all the driveline oils and filters changed at 1,800 miles and an engine oil and filter at 6,000. I've had the wheels on and off so many times they've been rotated enough to keep the wear pretty even across all four. I've done 500 miles in the car in the last seven months, and I should think it'll do no more than another 1,500 over this summer.
 
Not sure what the situation would be with thw warranty if you were to go outside of the specified "every 12 months" service requirement, but I'm with you on doing more rather than less.

I purchased my car at 9 months old with 5K miles. The previous owner had changed the oil and filter at 3K miles and I have just had the gearbox, transfer box and rear diff fluids changed. I have also booked it in for it's 1st service next month when it will be a year old.
 
Yeh I'm not talking about cutting any corners, just what those of us who use the car hard but infrequently will try and stay on top of?

The whole '6 month' safety check I've never understood, and bar a recall my car has not been in for this pointless exercise.

As for the other consumables like tyres, pads and discs, it's likely in the future I'll have to bare in mind how long they've been on the car rather than just what the wear is like.
 
Regarding non-engine oils, there was a report that it's only after 8k miles that all start to come out clean. You may want to use this as a guide to inform when to time another run-in change as the one you had done at circa 2k may not be enough.
As for driving harder, irrespective of how frequently, you've probably come across advice regarding engine oil changes with reference to track days. @DeanoC had also posted elsewhere a severe maintenance schedule (under thread Servicing long term ownership), which I think he summarised as:
  • Engine oil every 6 months/3k miles
  • Diffs (inc transmission) & transfer ever 12 months/6k
  • brakes every 12 months/6k
I hope this helps.
 
Thanks, maybe I'm overthinking but I'm also trying to gauge further down the line for things underneath that should have a check every once in a while like prop shaft bolts etc.

Also things like spark plugs, fuel filter, brake and clutch fluid, various belts etc will have to be brought forward, I suppose?

When you're not locked in to a service plan (which I didn't see the point of as I knew I'd be using the car infrequently), suddenly all those little jobs are easy to forget.
 
So, here is a comprehensive maintenance schedule that distinguishes between normal and sever use, detailing:
  • which items should be brought forward or done more frequently
  • by how much
  • which items aren't dependant on type of use (eg spark plugs)
I would still also take into account any findings posted on here. Eg even on the severe schedule, Toyota allows 12k miles or 2 years between rear diff & transfer box oil changes. My use isn't severe, yet I'm inlcined to have these changed every 6k miles or 1 year.
 
Back
Top