Collected today my Sapphire Blue MT from Steven Eagell Toyota Northampton, obviously forgot to take some pictures before parking it in the garage
A couple of things to share, firstly what didn’t go smooth, which is typical at this point:
- On the way to the dealership I was left a message that they were expecting me there at 10am... even though I was booked in at 12:30
- When I arrived they told me that the lady that was taking care of me is off sick... with tonsillitis. Which explains the the above, but she left no notes to the person doing the handover
- We agreed the plates would be stuck on, it didn’t happen before my arrival
- Car was supposed to be rinsed
- I asked for film/plastic to be removed from the inside of the car. It wasn't. This one actually worked in my favour because it was chucking down today
- All of the above is fine honestly, it just took a bit longer with the handover and I’m fairly patient. What I can’t let go though is... a missing spoiler! It wasn’t installed so I mentioned it, some time later they return to me and tell me the spoiler was sent back?! Which I think is BS, to cover the lack of communication between the girl that went sick and the rest of the team.
- Me and the wife had a bit of a scare when we found this whilst inspecting the car… It’s all good though, turned out to be a tiny screw stick to the surface of the tire. It wouldn’t be a Toyota experience without it though

View attachment 11816
- No freebies. I got some leather keychains with a Toyota logo and Steven Eagell address, which is better than nothing I guess, but the printed address brings it down for me
. And just 1/4 of a tank of petrol
All in all I’m very happy with the car. It turned out so much better looking in person, and with Mrs's persuasion I decided to keep it (long story, but since about a month I convinced myself to flip, mainly due to some unexpected expenses piling up).
Coming from GT86 it does feel very similar, there are
many improvements, but definitely not everything was fixed. It isn't a complaint but treat it as a fair warning.
- The transmission has the exact same quirky feel as in the GT, it does a crunch going into 2nd, sometimes into 1st and I am convinced I felt it going into 3rd as well. This only happened to me in 2nd and sometimes in 1st in the GT86, so I expect this to improve with more driving, but I doubt it will ever fully go away, especially in cold. I was expecting this to have been fixed as a lot of reviewers mentioned improved transmission
- The clutch is twitchy, a few people mentioned here they needed to get adjusted to the feel of a sports car clutch. I was used to it in the GT but I still get a random jerky shift

- I will watch closely the performance of electric windows, as I’ve seen on FB groups posts suggesting the problem with them still exists, and claim that warranty first sign this happens (to those unaware, the mechanism can go bad and can scratch windows)
- Like above but powered folding mirrors mechanism - I had one fail in the GT
That 10yr warranty will come in handy for sure.
To leave on a good note:
- The engine really pulls this time, I’m keeping mine under 4000 rpm so have a long way to go before fully enjoying it

- The seats are very comfy, best seats I’ve ever sat on in a car
- The infotainment screen looks impressive, it’s no OLED of course but the size is just right and I can’t wait to use CarPlay on mine (forgot the cable today
)
- The front dash feels somehow more spacious than in the GT86, but also I had a strange feeling the glovebox was open all the time when looking at it with a corner with my eye

- Love how the new armrest opens and the layout, I/O. I’m not yet sure if it isn't too low to actually rest my arm, TBC
- New AC controls look sleek, and so do the air vents
I have two questions for those that collected already:
- Did you have a lot of strange noise coming from outside, going above 30mph? I had and I think it could have been brakes, from being unused for so long. I am quite sure the problem went away after I got home, but TBC
- Was there supposed to be a jack? The person doing the handover asked me this and I didn't know. There was a jack in the GT86, so we checked the boot and it wasn't there. This guy noticed the puncture fixing kit and said that since this is in, there won't be a jack