GR86 GR86 - Auto dimming interior mirror install

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Someone in the US has done a very useful “How To” on installing an auto dimming interior mirror on the 6T , no idea if it will be the same for the 6MT.

Reactions: doogle83

Nick

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
West Midlands
The website - https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/gr86/features-and-specs is still showing "Electrochromatic auto-dimming rear view mirror" so in theory we shouldn't have to worry about having to do this, but, the original equipment list showed rear parking sensors, and the demo car seen at the MR2 event had a standard, flip to dim, rear view mirror, so it's anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: doogle83 and AndyRC

drz252

Totally Hooked
Apr 11, 2022
Scotland
it's anyone's guess.

All part of the fun when slapping down a deposit on a car that hasn't been reviewed and you haven't seen, haven't sat in, haven't driven... and arrives in a fortnight:

a.jpg

... but ...

b.jpg

... and ...

c.jpg

... but you might forgive her if she lets you do this together:

Last edited:

Bathroom_Security

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
Surrey
Ok, 5 mins with a screwdriver and trim tool would have saved me £220, but I don't have the loose connector referred to as RF44 in the GR86.org thread which is required for the small 3 pin mirror adapter. At best I've now got a slightly bigger mirror (its not here yet but delivery due today as I'm writing this)

I may see if my local car electronics car people can get power to it, must be a way.

Mines a manual, but I dont think that's why. Its just an EU car thing I think. Took a pdf link from that GR86 org thread which shows manual and auto cars have the same spare wire fwiw.

https://www.subarupartspros.com/docs/H501SCC000.pdf

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK
Shame, but if all it needs is power, then perhaps you can just run a cable behind the leading edge of the headlining, down the A-pillar, then tuck it into the trim to get behind the glovebox, and I think there's the fusebox there. Then you could just use one of those fuse tap thingymajigs to plug it into any slot which provides power on ignition and Bob is your mother's brother.

Bathroom_Security

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
Surrey
Shame, but if all it needs is power, then perhaps you can just run a cable behind the leading edge of the headlining, down the A-pillar, then tuck it into the trim to get behind the glovebox, and I think there's the fusebox there. Then you could just use one of those fuse tap thingymajigs to plug it into any slot which provides power on ignition and Bob is your mother's brother.
Thanks

The fuse tap piggy back things?

Will look into that, ill likely have to cut and extend the wire adapter.

Electrics aren't my thing really

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK

Bathroom_Security

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
Surrey
OK, wired it off the radio fuse with a piggy back. Earth to the bolt which connects the fuse bank/box to the mount its bolted to.

Ran the wires up the a pillar and behind the headliner and then between the headliner and the plastic mount for the roof lights, same way the RF44 connector in the photos does. but I'll need to figure how to keep them in place as they come forward.

I butchered the adapter that came with the mirror (the one seen in the install guides) and took the white and black wires, stripped the ends and connected them to the plastic lever nut wire connectors which you can see dangling in the photos.

It works :)

Thanks conscript!

Attachments

20230225_182839.jpg 20230225_181048.jpg
Last edited:

sim61

Totally Hooked
May 12, 2022
Surrey
OK, wired it off the radio fuse with a piggy back. Earth to the bolt which connects the fuse bank/box to the mount its bolted to.

Ran the wires up the a pillar and behind the headliner and then between the headliner and the plastic mount for the roof lights, same way the RF44 connector in the photos does. but I'll need to figure how to keep them in place as they come forward.

I butchered the adapter that came with the mirror (the one seen in the install guides) and took the white and black wires, stripped the ends and connected them to the plastic lever nut wire connectors which you can see dangling in the photos.

Thanks conscript!
Great news! Thank you @Bathroom_Security

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK

Thanks conscript!
Glad it worked. Not sure I'm ready to drop that sort of wedge on one myself. Maybe I'll leave it as a little mod to do at some point.

Bathroom_Security

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
Surrey

PT374-18220​

Ordered from octoyotaparts lncase the link doesn't work

If it'll fit a toyota windscreen mount I'm sure you can get any dimming mirror and power it off the fuse box like you would a dash cam.

The toyota one does seem very nice indeed, works very well.

Reactions: sim61

sim61

Totally Hooked
May 12, 2022
Surrey

PT374-18220​

Ordered from octoyotaparts lncase the link doesn't work

If it'll fit a toyota windscreen mount I'm sure you can get any dimming mirror and power it off the fuse box like you would a dash cam.

The toyota one does seem very nice indeed, works very well.
Thank you. I just need a car now!!

sim61

Totally Hooked
May 12, 2022
Surrey
I got the auto-dimming mirror fitted and working today. Also got the HomeLink (which is on the mirror as well) working, but try as I might, the electric garage door won't go up and down. I don't have instructions for the door so am being extra cautious as I don't want to unprogram the two remotes that do work! More research needed.. or get someone in to do it for me.

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I got the auto-dimming mirror fitted and working today. Also got the HomeLink (which is on the mirror as well) working, but try as I might, the electric garage door won't go up and down. I don't have instructions for the door so am being extra cautious as I don't want to unprogram the two remotes that do work! More research needed.. or get someone in to do it for me.
Having other cars with auto dip RVMs, I'm glad the GR86 is manual so I can decide when I'm getting blinded and not some sensor getting it wrong... slowly ..

We've got a little box on our garage doors that's linked to an app on our phones. If I'm on Android Auto I can speak to the car to open the door. Not that I do 'cause I feel a berk talking to a car*. :ROFLMAO:

*And I forget the option is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: sim61