GR Yaris Getting stuck going downhill…

Andy R

Dedicated member
Joined
Dec 17, 2021
Messages
108
Reaction score
159
Yesterday I was reversing out of a parking spot with packed snow. To my surprise, as soon as I pressed the throttle, the front left wheel spun up and I saw a big poofy spray of snow shooting up from the wheel well and the car started digging itself into a hole. It didn’t seem drive was going anywhere else expect that wheel.

I even had gravity on my side as I was reversing downhill.

Second time, I created a bit of momentum with the clutch and got out fairly easily.

I was in sport-mode with TC 100% (no expert mode) off. Circuit pack car. Studded tires 205/50r17.

I’m still a bit puzzled, it wasn’t a particularly nasty looking spot. It should have been a piece of cake. And how come it felt no drive was going to the rear?

Is there something strange going on in the rear clutch pack when reversing? And even if it acted as a fwd car, the front diff should’ve worked a bit better?
 
Front: Torsen multiplies torque, so if grip (and thus torque) is (close to) zero on one side, no (significant) torque will be tranferred to the other side. In such circumstances some gentle left foot braking can do the trick. I haven't tried but very possible if ESP/TC is left on that the system automatically will brake the excessively spinning wheel.

As for rear axle drive in reverse, easy enough to put to the test if there is snow...
 
Last edited:
Potentially the hand brake wasn't off all the way so the rear diff was disengaged?
 
There was the video of the GRY on rolling tracks (or whatever they're called), and it was like @Onehp said, if one wheel across the axle is freely spinning, the other gives no drive.

I'll see if I can find it...
 
The TC didn't work in reverse on my old Smart Car. It had a few more bhp than standard and reversing up the wet cobbled steep streets near me was nigh on impossible and very wheelspinny 😂
 
Back
Top