GR86 Exhausts

One cold start trick I learned from the 86 is move the car ASAPPPPPPPPPP.... if you leave it... it'll BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for a while...
But if you whack it in 1st and move it seems to kill the coldstart noise fast.

Not that it stops that initial second... but 1 second vs 15 seconds a bit more tolerable
 
One cold start trick I learned from the 86 is move the car ASAPPPPPPPPPP.... if you leave it... it'll BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for a while...
But if you whack it in 1st and move it seems to kill the coldstart noise fast.

Not that it stops that initial second... but 1 second vs 15 seconds a bit more tolerable
I'll be giving that a go tomorrow for sure.

Your AWE can't be far away now?
 
I'll be giving that a go tomorrow for sure.

Your AWE can't be far away now?

It's been delayed again. I actually just sent a cancellation email... apparently now its 3 weeks away from "fabrication" Its been on order 3 months... so yeah no. I'm going to get a Cobra now I think.

Sad, I really wanted the AWE but this company are taking the piss quite frankly.
 
It's been delayed again. I actually just sent a cancellation email... apparently now its 3 weeks away from "fabrication" Its been on order 3 months... so yeah no. I'm going to get a Cobra now I think.

Sad, I really wanted the AWE but this company are taking the piss quite frankly.
Damn, that's a shame and really poor from them. The cobra looks and sounds like a great shout.
 
I have indeed. Nice to have only real engine/exhaust sound in the cabin now.

Cool, I was wondering if it would interfere with the real exhaust sound. Did you take it into a dealer to have it turned off? Or just unplug through the glove box?
 
Cool, I was wondering if it would interfere with the real exhaust sound. Did you take it into a dealer to have it turned off? Or just unplug through the glove box?
I think it does interfere having tried it both turned on and off, but it's down to preference.

Unplugged it through the glovebox. It'd definitely be easier to plug it back in than it was to unplug, so I recommend trying it yourself 😊
 
It's been delayed again. I actually just sent a cancellation email... apparently now its 3 weeks away from "fabrication" Its been on order 3 months... so yeah no. I'm going to get a Cobra now I think.

Sad, I really wanted the AWE but this company are taking the piss quite frankly.
Where did you order your AWE from? just about done saving to puchase
 
Exhaust is on. Wasn't too hard. Hardest part were the hangers. Bit of BDX and some grips and they slid off OK. Could do with a slight tweak to position but it's OK for now. Next time brother is home I'll adjust it then. weighed both and the stock box is approx 11.5kg so you save about 5kg. Sounds fine when I took it out the garage. Will take it for a spin later.

Updated insurance and it's only the admin fee to pay. They aren't fussed.
 
Exhaust is on. Wasn't too hard. Hardest part were the hangers. Bit of BDX and some grips and they slid off OK. Could do with a slight tweak to position but it's OK for now. Next time brother is home I'll adjust it then. weighed both and the stock box is approx 11.5kg so you save about 5kg. Sounds fine when I took it out the garage. Will take it for a spin later.

Updated insurance and it's only the admin fee to pay. They aren't fussed.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts after taking it out.

Can’t wait to fit mine.

Funnily enough I added it to my insurance when I took the policy out and there was no additional premium. Happy days.
 
I'm glad to see so many of you trust my judgement when it comes to exhausts haha. As more of you get the Remark fitted, I'm sure you'll start to understand what I was trying to get across. It's an awesome sound, loud, but not excessive. Some drone, but not excessive. Sounds way better than a simple backbox delete has any right to sound.

By way of an update, as mine's been fitted now for over 1000 miles, I can honestly say it's starting to mellow even a touch more. Pops and crackles on downshifts are getting a little easier to come by, cold start isn't so bad either. I've had a lot of compliments on how it sounds.

A touch late, but good to meet you @Delahorney last weekend. Glad you got to hear it in person before making a decision.

When the coilovers and wheels are on, you local guys are more than welcome to have a go too. Seems I may end up being the guinea pig for quite a few things haha.
 
Only a quick spin since it's pissing down but early signs are great. Cold start is louder but more than acceptable. I've had worse. When warm it doesn't sound much different from stock. When you open it up it sounds fantastic and how a car should sound. Next job is disconnecting the synthesizer as I want to hear it without it. Pops on downshifts already which is cool. Will take it for a longer run the weekend to get some heat through it but I'm very happy with it. Given the GPF and how it flows already it was definitely the right call to go for this. The only thing that would change noise now is if you went UEL manifold or maybe changed other bits of it but it sounds fine as is. I'll do a sound clip when it's dry.
 
Only a quick spin since it's pissing down but early signs are great. Cold start is louder but more than acceptable. I've had worse. When warm it doesn't sound much different from stock. When you open it up it sounds fantastic and how a car should sound. Next job is disconnecting the synthesizer as I want to hear it without it. Pops on downshifts already which is cool. Will take it for a longer run the weekend to get some heat through it but I'm very happy with it. Given the GPF and how it flows already it was definitely the right call to go for this. The only thing that would change noise now is if you went UEL manifold or maybe changed other bits of it but it sounds fine as is. I'll do a sound clip when it's dry.
Any drone to speak of?
 
Any drone to speak of?
Not sure if Martyn will have experienced it much yet, but there is a burst of drone at 2k and 4k rpm. Not sure what causes it, and it's not awful, but it would certainly be too much if it was like it all the time.

The most important thing, is that at cruising speeds in any gear, it's almost silent. It's very impressive.

If you are cruising at 50 in 6th, you'll be at around 2k rpm. Put your foot down and you'll know about it. It gets VERY loud. But drive the car properly, use the gears, and it's absolutely grand.
 
Hmmm. Think I'd have to hear it in person to be sure...I'm pretty intrigued, from the videos I've heard it does sound pretty good but I still think it would be a bit loud for me. Looking forward to more testimonials to make me wonder if the HKS I'm waiting on is the right choice :D
 
Not sure if Martyn will have experienced it much yet, but there is a burst of drone at 2k and 4k rpm. Not sure what causes it, and it's not awful, but it would certainly be too much if it was like it all the time.

The most important thing, is that at cruising speeds in any gear, it's almost silent. It's very impressive.

If you are cruising at 50 in 6th, you'll be at around 2k rpm. Put your foot down and you'll know about it. It gets VERY loud. But drive the car properly, use the gears, and it's absolutely grand.
2k and 4k is the same for me too but as you say, NSL speeds in 6th and it's fine until you bury it then there a burst of drone but again I've had way worse in the past. I can't get over that driving normally it's spookily like stock which is ideal. The US videos as we surmised before are louder than ours because we have the GPF. I find it spot on and this is it being on the car less than an hour. I don't normally buy things without researching for weeks but I'm glad I just bought it as I couldn't really see a reason not to for the money. Was looking at HKS and other Japanese system for lots more. I'm glad I didn't and have the cash for something else. Even the insurance was only admin fee for telling them.
 
Back
Top