GR86 Engine Failure

Are you concerned about the GR86 engine failure stories emerging?

  • 1. Not concerned - if it breaks Toyota will fix it

    Votes: 48 38.7%
  • 2. Slightly concerned - but not losing any sleep over it

    Votes: 55 44.4%
  • 3. I’m getting worried - I want to use my car on track

    Votes: 13 10.5%
  • 4. I’m very worried - I’d planned a lot of mods and lots of track use

    Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 5. I’m that worried I’m cancelling - and off to buy something else

    Votes: 6 4.8%

  • Total voters
    124
Pretty worrying stuff regarding warranty claims in US for engines failures after track days/ autocrossing the car :


Just saw this article posted on the UK GT86 Facebook group. Glad to see it's getting a lot of attention; that should hopefully force Toyota to reconsider their position on this.
 
Maybe first steps into the right direction:
We contacted Toyota Racing Development to see if this owner's engine would be covered under warranty but haven't heard back. We also reached out to Toyota about the reported RTV issues and Alvarado's case. A spokesperson for the automaker told us that they are looking into the issue and referred other owners to its Brand Engagement Center if they have similar issues.
Source:
 
That is disgraceful. Again it's unsurprising from the US though.

I've contacted Toyota HQ about these oil starvation issues and if it is one reason for the delay in deliveries but I got the same generic response that everyone else has had. It is woeful.
 
Last edited:
Did anyone who looked into their engine NOT have this issue?
 
That is disgraceful. Again it's unsurprising from the US though.

I've contacted Toyota HQ about these oil starvation issues and if it is one reason for the delay in deliveries but I got the same generic response that everyone else has had. It is woeful.
We should ask whether engine oil starvation warranty claims would be covered in case of excessive RTV usage?
Can we use our cars anywhere (track or not) without fear of catastrophic failure due to oil starvation?
 
I probably won't track first year but 100% will be at some point. They run 0w-20 oil as standard, some in the States change to 5w-20 or 5w-30. But then arguably this would put warranty in the bin too. On the road I still intend to drive it hard when conditions allow. I'd normally think if it breaks, warranty catches it. But I really don't like dealers wiggling out of claims for spurious reasons. I think we'll be fine and Toyota aren't Honda, who are way worse. Brother had recalls done and some warranty work when he first got his 86, some even when we'd done a few mods and they were fine with it as it was unrelated to the mod. I've found similar with Skoda but who knows now. I can't see them not honouring it as it effectively means the warranty means nothing, even if it's supposed to be 10yrs and that's bad press.
 
I will be switching straight to 5w30 on the first oil change for the added film strength and better oil pressures. This is permitted, check page 374-375 in the manual.

The manual says 0w-20 is the best choice for economy and cold climates, then goes on to say 'a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or extreme load conditions'. Since our climate is mild and economy comes potentially at the expense of sufficient lubrication thats a good enough reason for me.
 
I will be switching straight to 5w30 on the first oil change for the added film strength and better oil pressures. This is permitted, check page 374-375 in the manual.

The manual says 0w-20 is the best choice for economy and cold climates, then goes on to say 'a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or extreme load conditions'. Since our climate is mild and economy comes potentially at the expense of sufficient lubrication thats a good enough reason for me.
Link for manual?
Edit: Got it
 
5W-30 I've run in everything I've had the last 15 years and it's been fine. Specifying that come service will be interesting, unless you supply the 5litres yourself.
 
I've contacted Toyota HQ about these oil starvation issues and if it is one reason for the delay in deliveries but I got the same generic response that everyone else has had. It is woeful.
It is unlikely that this is the reason because all European cars were already on hold many weeks before this problem became popular. I would even assume that up to now, no one at Toyota has really noticed this problem and it will take a while until this shows up on the radar of responsible managers that could change something about the situation.

And since it fits this topic quite well:

warranty.webp
 
Last edited:
Next one please...
Just had my GR86 engine go as well, currently waiting on them disassembling the engine to find the root cause and if toyota will deny the warranty.

It happened during the Toyota sponsored HPDE.
 
Interesting comment about who is denying the warranty claim in the US 🤔

Was my first thought too when it broke. Most dealers here are franchises but given the manufacturer rarely question claims, most just do it. It's actually how a group locally lost the Skoda franchise. They'd back claim for warranty work and not do it. Or they would but it would fail (leaky door carriers like I had) and have repeat custom.
 
That's actually the most sensible video I've seen on it and the best way to check. Looked on Amazon and endoscopes aren't too expensive, even if it may end up being single use.
Definitely a great video 👍 also impressed with his car lift 😍 anyone using one of those 🤔
 
Lost of people on various forums talking about carrying out their own checks etc. Nobody should have to consider that on a new car.

The evidence coming through now shows the issue is real, so why can’t Toyota just accept and take responsibility for a fix before letting more cars go out.
 
Back
Top