GR Yaris End of production?

JonW

Dedicated member
Joined
Dec 16, 2021
Messages
176
Reaction score
211
This article says the GRC will be built at Motomachi.

How big is that factory? If its not huge, which i believe it isnt, and they do that then the GRY production is arguably finished. by mid this year...

 
That's exactly what I thought. So if you haven't got a confirmed order you won't get one new.
 
Uhh, im proud my toyota dealer told me my order is confirmed.
 
It's not a big plant. Circa 70k vehicles and it does mainly hybrid and hydrogen stuff like the mirai
 
October is planned release in America, we estimated around 960 GRY a month out the factory with the last car of 25,000 being delivered around September October. With it taking around 6 weeks to deliver potentially August for the last yaris to be built however I suspect it will use a different line as I suspect it takes a lot longer to get the line up and running than a few weeks.
 
Good info guys!

Remember, 25000 was just a number with the GRY, not a target or a maximum, they said they would make as many as there was demand for...
 
Good info guys!

Remember, 25000 was just a number with the GRY, not a target or a maximum, they said they would make as many as there was demand for...
True, but they haven't taken any new orders in 7 months. The only reason they'd do that is to give themselves an idea of when they can stop making them, and retool the production line, so they can' t be planning to make enough for the demand.
 
It would make sense for the new Corolla to be built by the people already used to building the Yaris. However, I still don't see the sense in developing a car in order to only build it for 2 years. Most cars have a 4-5 year production run, in order to pay for the R&D and tooling.
I guess the Yaris could have always been planned as an expensive mule to beta test the cracking little engine (and justify the WRC costs), which I think we will see in a lot more models yet.
As for the Corolla not coming to the EU, maybe that will only be announced when current Yaris orders are fulfilled? After all, they don't want to be building another 4,000 cars and have no market for them as people have switched their deposits to the Corolla. 🤔
 
It would make sense for the new Corolla to be built by the people already used to building the Yaris. However, I still don't see the sense in developing a car in order to only build it for 2 years. Most cars have a 4-5 year production run, in order to pay for the R&D and tooling.
I guess the Yaris could have always been planned as an expensive mule to beta test the cracking little engine (and justify the WRC costs), which I think we will see in a lot more models yet.
As for the Corolla not coming to the EU, maybe that will only be announced when current Yaris orders are fulfilled? After all, they don't want to be building another 4,000 cars and have no market for them as people have switched their deposits to the Corolla. 🤔

Halo models of old. The Yaris and corolla are there to flog loads of GR line crap down the line.....

Sensible observation on the EU delay. They need to get everything ordered that they will build delivered.
 
Almost all the GR-specific manufacturing and technology is common to the Yaris and Corolla (roof, GR-Four, engine, alu panels) so making the Yaris and Corolla in the same plant is a no-brainer.

Obviously the plan was always to amortise the development costs across both models, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they could actually be built simultaneously on the same line so maybe the Yaris continues?
 
Almost all the GR-specific manufacturing and technology is common to the Yaris and Corolla (roof, GR-Four, engine, alu panels) so making the Yaris and Corolla in the same plant is a no-brainer.

Obviously the plan was always to amortise the development costs across both models, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they could actually be built simultaneously on the same line so maybe the Yaris continues?

They could. Just a space issue. They are not built on a 'line' but in dedicated 'cells'.
 
I saw one USA video where the chap said people needed to order the GRC now as it is taking over the line the GRY is built on and will also be a small number each year so long waiting list and times.
This may be a reason it isn't a whole world option and Europe isn't getting it as the production line is very limited and we did get the GRY.
I do like that Circuit version in that colour but am still proud to own the GRY.
Hyperthetical question............If 18 months ago you could have bought either the GRY or the Circ GRC....................which would you have gone for. This will all come down to whether you do need four adults in it on a regular basis and the value of the word homologation.
 
For me, one of the main attractions of the GRY was the size and light weight. I have two teenagers who can fit in it at a pinch - they can get a lift with me, or they can get a bus - so for what I need it for it is flexible enough.

I also have limited space in my garage. I could get a Corolla in there, but it might mean having to sell a bike! And that would not do 😁
 
I saw one USA video where the chap said people needed to order the GRC now as it is taking over the line the GRY is built on and will also be a small number each year so long waiting list and times.
This may be a reason it isn't a whole world option and Europe isn't getting it as the production line is very limited and we did get the GRY.
I do like that Circuit version in that colour but am still proud to own the GRY.
Hyperthetical question............If 18 months ago you could have bought either the GRY or the Circ GRC....................which would you have gone for. This will all come down to whether you do need four adults in it on a regular basis and the value of the word homologation.
When I ordered my GRY in april 21, (Oct ‘22 delivery) I asked le dealer if there was a Corolla versch comin as I would be more interested in waiting for that... It was met with a flat No! Err?
 
When I order my, the GRC was already more than a rumour. But I love the raw, direct approach of the the GRY conception. Sure the GRC would be more practical, but if I want practical I'd take a corolla... the wagon one. I do not like jack of all trades kind of cars. I like cars that are pushing in one direction. I case of GRY sideways I guess?
 
When I ordered my GRY in april 21, (Oct ‘22 delivery) I asked le dealer if there was a Corolla versch comin as I would be more interested in waiting for that... It was met with a flat No! Err?
As you are in the UK, technically he was right 😁
 
Back
Top