Alternatives to CG lock lap belt tensioner?

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
So I searched for available belt locks etc and also found this vid

Alternatives discussed are no good really but the principle works.

Then I remebered I have a child seat with very good integrated seat belt locks and looked for an alternative and found this on Amazon, "Goliton car child safety seat belt clip buckle"

It only clamps one belt at a time but so far it sits really hard and does the job. I just leave it on all the time, litte fiddly to open the seatbelt buckle is only downside as clamp is a bit in the way.

Time will tell if it tends to wear out the belt...

20220726_131316.jpg

Last edited:

area_educator

Dedicated member
May 14, 2022
I had the Shoft on my Volvo C30. It was OK at best. It really only works if the seatbelt receiver is low enough-- otherwise the rubber brake won't be pressing against the lap belt.

These days I'm using an Infasecure Lockie https://infagroup.com.au/collections/universal-hardware/products/lockie and it is waaay better than the Shoft. It's a thin wedge that presses into the buckle where the belt passes through. Pull the lapbelt tight and press the Lockie in while maintaining the tension. The lapbelt's tension pulls the Lockie in further, enhancing the grip. It works pretty well.

But it's not perfect. Some drawbacks:
-It's a bit bulky, and if it gets bumped it can be easily dislodged.
-If you forget it's there when you remove the seatbelt there's no telling where it'll end up. I bought two initially and I lost the first one within a week.
-If, out of habit, you pull on the shoulder belt to tighten the lap belt without also pressing the Lockie into the buckle, then the Lockie will end up on the floor.
-Doesn't appear to be sold outside of Australia. When I ordered two Lockies shipped to Germany customs was nearly as much as the Lockies.

Still, it's the best thing I've found and I'll be getting a couple more as backups. I might also remove some of the excess bulk and/or tether it to the seatbelt receiver.

Lockie-Test-Belt-Side-Profile.jpg

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Still using the orange one in post #2, does its job fine and haven't been even close to losing it ;)

Almost as good as getting a better hugging seat and whole lot cheaper :D

Last edited:

area_educator

Dedicated member
May 14, 2022
Still using the orange one in post #2, does it's job fine and haven't been even close to using it ;)

Almost as good as getting a better hugging seat and whole lot cheaper :D
Nice. I think I avoided one like that based on the video posted above-- it seemed that, generally, the ones he tested in that style didn't do the trick. Glad to hear it's worked well, though.

Reactions: Onehp

DesmondWheelsEU

Devoted member
Vendor
Nov 27, 2022
Bedfordshire
A couple of times when driving cars without suitable seats and harnesses, I would simply put the seat back a couple of notches behind where I would normally have it, pull the belt tight on me and then push the seat forward to where I wanted it.

It had the desired effect. Difficult if you're a tall guy in a car without much seat adjustment which was a problem for me with one car, but it did the job.

Reactions: area_educator

area_educator

Dedicated member
May 14, 2022
A couple of times when driving cars without suitable seats and harnesses, I would simply put the seat back a couple of notches behind where I would normally have it, pull the belt tight on me and then push the seat forward to where I wanted it.

It had the desired effect. Difficult if you're a tall guy in a car without much seat adjustment which was a problem for me with one car, but it did the job.
I did that with my C30, except I just used the seat back adjustment. It had one of the knobs you turn to lean the seatback fore or aft, vs the lever and spring mechanism on the GRY. It made that whole process way easier than on the GRY.

Reactions: DesmondWheelsEU

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia

Aware of this technique, but find it much more uncomfortable when the upper body is wedged by that single belt. It also interferes with observing traffic looking around if not on a trackday.

Just get the clip as in post #2, cheap as chips and designed to block a belt, easy to use - I can adjust it onehanded after having had it for almost a year, adjustment not needed so often either. Can put a piece of weave tape if you don't want to scratch the belt clip.

Was out on a back road blast with a friend and toward then end he wondered how I could sit so relaxed while he was flying around as we blasted over the bumps and bends, getting tired of holding on. Gave hime the spare clip I had, and he was amazed at the difference. Just sayin'...

DesmondWheelsEU

Devoted member
Vendor
Nov 27, 2022
Bedfordshire
Aware of this technique, but find it much more uncomfortable when the upper body is wedged by that single belt. It also interferes with observing traffic looking around if not on a trackday.

Just get the clip as in post #2, cheap as chips and designed to block a belt, easy to use - I can adjust it onehanded after having had it for almost a year, adjustment not needed so often either. Can put a piece of weave tape if you don't want to scratch the belt clip.

Was out on a back road blast with a friend and toward then end he wondered how I could sit so relaxed while he was flying around as we blasted over the bumps and bends, getting tired of holding on. Gave hime the spare clip I had, and he was amazed at the difference. Just sayin'...

It’s not meant as a permanent solution, but if you’re caught short or can’t get anything in time for an event it helps.

Reactions: Onehp

Spirited

Obsessed member
Jan 23, 2022
Hampshire, South East England
... Then I remebered I have a child seat with very good integrated seat belt locks and looked for an alternative and found this on Amazon, "Goliton car child safety seat belt clip buckle"

It only clamps one belt at a time but so far it sits really hard and does the job. I just leave it on all the time, litte fiddly to open the seatbelt buckle is only downside as clamp is a bit in the way.

Time will tell if it tends to wear out the belt...

... after having had it for almost a year, adjustment not needed so often either. Can put a piece of weave tape if you don't want to scratch the belt '...

Good find!

So, after a year, could you tell if it has worn/damaged the belt at all, please?

Thanks

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Just checked, been in same place some time so belt looks it took the shape a bit, but bending back and looking closely can't see any fraying or broken fibres so all good as far as I can see!