GR Yaris Rally / drift hand brakes

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Joined
Dec 6, 2021
Messages
3,383
Reaction score
5,701
Location
Svveden
Wel they sit in the interior but are really about driving. Stock cable handbrake is very good but not the most ergonomic for frequent operation.

This thread for discussion of solutions.
There are two threads on the old place but I prefer to continue any discussion here:


Current status on these two: good ideas but need some work in finalising the execution. If you're interested and happy with doing so I can give some tips...
 
Last edited:
Please discuss handbrake here @michaelsavaglia111@gmail. @FrakassoR ;)

The lower GT2i one requires to cut the console between the seats, to make a new attachment plate and to make a bracket to actuate the handbrake sensor that decouples the rear axle when using the handbrake. Correct @FrakassoR?

The Scara 73 one I got was not ready for production (maybe they improved it, don't know). Spray can paint....
The foam grip was no good on mine so I replaced it, and the predrilled hole made it go against the gear shift console so I had to make a new one. So basically three welded pipes left, can be made by oneself if one is handy... And adjusted to your gear shift ergonomics, mine was too close if it were stock shifter, mine is raised 60mm then it is ok...
 
Last edited:
I can’t help but feel the Scara73 one doesn’t seem right with it not moving the fulcrum point. Thinking back to my drift car days the hydros I used were vertical with a really short throw, you pull back towards you rather than upwards. Would be good to see something similar using the OEM cable setup as it’s more than adequate I’ve found.

Shame I don’t weld or I’d give it a go :(
 
I can’t help but feel the Scara73 one doesn’t seem right with it not moving the fulcrum point. Thinking back to my drift car days the hydros I used were vertical with a really short throw, you pull back towards you rather than upwards. Would be good to see something similar using the OEM cable setup as it’s more than adequate I’ve found.

Shame I don’t weld or I’d give it a go :(
The 73 ergonomics are a bit inbetween, it's upwards but also bit backwards as it sits quite a bit higher then the pivot point. And thus literally inbetween a proper hydraulic drift handbrake and the stock handbrake which is ergonomically just a tad far for a quick unplanned pull mid corner...
On rally cars I've see handbrakes that have similar ergonomics and my car is a daily car carrying the family at times, so it's a nice compromise ergonomically/aesthetically for my part. (if it were actually a finished product when I bought it)
 
The lower GT2i one requires to cut the console between the seats, to make a new attachment plate and to make a bracket to actuate the handbrake sensor that decouples the rear axle when using the handbrake. Correct @FrakassoR?

correct !
 
Back
Top