GR86 GR86 - The “Auto Zone”

AndyRC

Totally Hooked
Joined
Dec 28, 2021
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
3,334
Location
East Yorkshire
The “safe place” place to discuss all things relating to the 6 speed automatic transmission, 6AT 😎

It’s increasingly looking as though there may only be around 20/25 GR86 with the 6AT transmission in the U.K. making it a very rare car indeed. Time will tell and the numbers will be available in due course through registration data. I will keep the list updated as information becomes available.

So far we have

@AndyRC - Ignition Red - East Yorkshire
@Ersakus - Electric Blue - Berkshire☑️
@cc3 - Ignition Red - East Sussex ☑️
@DuncTheGun - Electric Blue - Suffolk
@Swizzle - Crystal Black - Essex☑️
@GR86DG1987 - Ignition Red - South Yorkshire
@R63 - Magnetite Grey - Worcestershire
@PaulT - Electric Blue ☑️
[USER=1140]@AlexB
- Magnetite Grey - Slough
@Judge - Ignition Red - London
@Kiwi Greg - Crystal Black 🇳🇿☑️



The 6 speed automatic transmissions as offered in the GT86 with some upgrades to suit the 2.4 litre engine will be available in the GR86 . AFAIK the gearbox ratios are also the same as the GT86. Around 15% of the previous GT86 ( according to How Many Left) were sold with automatic transmission.

From the European Press Release:

Transmissions
The six-speed manual and automatic transmissions in GR86 have both been revised in line with the engine’s increased power and torque and to play their part in the car’s essential fun- to-drive quality.
The manual system benefits from a new carbon synchroniser that makes for easier shifting into fourth gear. Using a new low-viscosity oil and new bearings ensures shift smoothness is maintained with the higher engine output. To fully exploit the car’s performance potential, the driver can switch to Track mode, or switch off the Vehicle Stability Control. The shift lever has been redesigned for a short stroke and snug fit in the driver’s hand.
The automatic transmission features paddle controls for the driver to take manual control of gear shifts. In Sport mode, the transmission automatically selects the optimum gear in line with the driver’s use of the brake and throttle and the vehicle’s dynamic behaviour. To ensure smooth harnessing of the engine’s higher power, additional clutch discs and a new high-capacity torque converter have been introduced.


Interesting video on the automatic transmission , TX6A version 6AT Aisin AW




If the ratios are unaltered these are the specifications from the GT86

2996D0FC-12FC-48E8-A8AB-47D180067E67.jpeg


EDIT - Have come across the US data sheet for the GR86 which confirms that the gearbox ratios are exactly the same as the GT86

318B8AAA-1B74-4E71-BC4B-581068D83301.jpeg
 
Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I think the auto performs very well. If I can get reasonable performance without the complexity and cost of a DCT, I’ll take it on a $30k car. I have only put the car in Sport mode once, and it was not broken in yet, but up and down shifts were spot on. I have no complaints and I’m able to focus on work phone calls when I’m supposed to be working instead of driving around, and my wife can drive it when I need her SUV. I would have chosen a manual, but glad it wasn’t available now. This auto is good.
 
For what it’s worth, I think the auto performs very well. If I can get reasonable performance without the complexity and cost of a DCT, I’ll take it on a $30k car. I have only put the car in Sport mode once, and it was not broken in yet, but up and down shifts were spot on. I have no complaints and I’m able to focus on work phone calls when I’m supposed to be working instead of driving around, and my wife can drive it when I need her SUV. I would have chosen a manual, but glad it wasn’t available now. This auto is good.
Great that you are enjoying your 6AT, with the amount of congestion on our roads the auto option makes the most sense for me. I was an auto convert over 20 years ago with VWs DSG and never had any trouble at all with that transmission in 5 different cars. I’ve only Test driven a GT86 with the auto but it felt perfectly ok for me. 👍
 
I've had 1 manual GT86 and I've had 2 automatic GT86s.

I liked my manual GT86... it was very good. Despite the 2nd gear being very clunky when cold, it was a good gear box. People had a few issues with it rattling, but I was lucky I guess mine was fine. However, I will say this the manual HATED city driving... hated it.

I had a manual from 2012 when they first launched to 2014... I then changed to an automatic gearbox because I was doing a lot of city driving and the 86 was not built for it... I don't ride my clutch at all. But every time I got out of my car from a long stint of stop start 1st gear traffic... the car smelled of burning clutch. So I decided to go for an automatic.

Firstly, I got less MPG with my automatic despite the figures being quoted as more. I drive my cars hard... I don't baby them. I have mechanical sympathy whilst they warm up but after that I'm done. I drive them properly, it's a sports car and I only use premium fuel and drive them very hard. Now, the automatic was perhaps more efficient at gear changes in sport mode and therefore used more petrol as the gears were always optimal whereas manual when you're pushing it super hard, sometimes it's hard to get into gear because you need both your hands for steering... haha.

That said, I found the automatic car just as engaging as the manual. It was sometimes nice to have to worry about gears and just let sport mode take care of it. However, the negative is sometimes it would change gear at the wrong time... sometimes questionably. Overtaking was another interesting point with the automatic... the car cannot predict what you're doing, so it relies entirely on your pedal feedback.

What you learn with the auto box is... put your foot to the floor, this is the only way to make it overtake properly, and do it suddenly... almost as a snap reaction. That gets the car to downshift faster and twice... say 5th to 3rd. Also, sport mode has to be engaged at all times or the gear changes are sluggish.

The paddles are completely worthless, too small to be any use and they're just not worth it.

I have enjoyed both my manual and my automatic. I really don't think there's a bad choice to be made, pick what you like and you will adapt to the car you choose.

I'm currently going to be ordering my GR86 and it will be in manual. But you don't have a bad choice here really guys, ignore what people say about the auto. It's a great box and I never once regretted it... sometimes I thought the manual could have been better, but sometimes the manual wasn't better. Every time I got stuck in a traffic jam I wished I had an auto.... every-time I got to an empty B road, part of me wanted that manual.

Something to also consider is the torque-gap on the new GR86 it has been improved... for most manual drivers who are driving hard now, they'll be leaving it in 3rd gear most of the time....

The manual box use to be super engaging if you were driving hard, because you NEEDED to shift down to 2nd gear.... now I don't think it will be quite the same. If you look at the curves... 3rd gear is going to cut it 90% of the time, even in quick driving. Therefore the auto is actually "better" too as it too will stay in 3rd more.

Long story short, pick what you like. There isn't a bad choice here :) Enjoy.
 
I've had 1 manual GT86 and I've had 2 automatic GT86s.

I liked my manual GT86... it was very good. Despite the 2nd gear being very clunky when cold, it was a good gear box. People had a few issues with it rattling, but I was lucky I guess mine was fine. However, I will say this the manual HATED city driving... hated it.

I had a manual from 2012 when they first launched to 2014... I then changed to an automatic gearbox because I was doing a lot of city driving and the 86 was not built for it... I don't ride my clutch at all. But every time I got out of my car from a long stint of stop start 1st gear traffic... the car smelled of burning clutch. So I decided to go for an automatic.

Firstly, I got less MPG with my automatic despite the figures being quoted as more. I drive my cars hard... I don't baby them. I have mechanical sympathy whilst they warm up but after that I'm done. I drive them properly, it's a sports car and I only use premium fuel and drive them very hard. Now, the automatic was perhaps more efficient at gear changes in sport mode and therefore used more petrol as the gears were always optimal whereas manual when you're pushing it super hard, sometimes it's hard to get into gear because you need both your hands for steering... haha.

That said, I found the automatic car just as engaging as the manual. It was sometimes nice to have to worry about gears and just let sport mode take care of it. However, the negative is sometimes it would change gear at the wrong time... sometimes questionably. Overtaking was another interesting point with the automatic... the car cannot predict what you're doing, so it relies entirely on your pedal feedback.

What you learn with the auto box is... put your foot to the floor, this is the only way to make it overtake properly, and do it suddenly... almost as a snap reaction. That gets the car to downshift faster and twice... say 5th to 3rd. Also, sport mode has to be engaged at all times or the gear changes are sluggish.

The paddles are completely worthless, too small to be any use and they're just not worth it.

I have enjoyed both my manual and my automatic. I really don't think there's a bad choice to be made, pick what you like and you will adapt to the car you choose.

I'm currently going to be ordering my GR86 and it will be in manual. But you don't have a bad choice here really guys, ignore what people say about the auto. It's a great box and I never once regretted it... sometimes I thought the manual could have been better, but sometimes the manual wasn't better. Every time I got stuck in a traffic jam I wished I had an auto.... every-time I got to an empty B road, part of me wanted that manual.

Something to also consider is the torque-gap on the new GR86 it has been improved... for most manual drivers who are driving hard now, they'll be leaving it in 3rd gear most of the time....

The manual box use to be super engaging if you were driving hard, because you NEEDED to shift down to 2nd gear.... now I don't think it will be quite the same. If you look at the curves... 3rd gear is going to cut it 90% of the time, even in quick driving. Therefore the auto is actually "better" too as it too will stay in 3rd more.

Long story short, pick what you like. There isn't a bad choice here :) Enjoy.
Hi James

Nice feedback from someone who has had both Transmissions. I had a test in a GT86 Blue Edition auto to see how it went and other than the torque dip, which felt like an engine flat spot, it was fine, not as fast as a DCT but more than acceptable . I tend to use auto for slow mundane stuff and change myself when having fun. I found the paddles a bit small but no worse than those on VAG cars) and using the gear lever to shift was ok too. I’ve seen aftermarket paddle extensions which look as though they clip over the original ones. Not sure if they are any good 🤔

Now we just need to secure a car 🤞

PS was your Blue Edition a Performance Pack🤔
 
PS was your Blue Edition a Performance Pack🤔
It sure was :)

Personally, found the Brembos no different to stock, maybe slightly better modulation but nothing to shout home about. They looked cool though :) felt the same about the Sachs dampeners too...
 
It sure was :)

Personally, found the Brembos no different to stock, maybe slightly better modulation but nothing to shout home about. They looked cool though :) felt the same about the Sachs dampeners too...

My test drive was in this 😎

1CA2ABEF-6F01-4DFA-BAFA-2752ACAB6245.jpeg


The Brembos do look the part 😎 Everyone says the std brakes are fine on the road , I just wish they didn’t look the same as on the CEOs C-HR which she uses everyday ☹️ The Performance Pack of brakes, dampers and wheels was an absolute steal on the GT86 👍
 
You also got a bigger rim alloy, it was 7.5", standard was 7". So you could put on 225 tyres which were cheaper and better :p
I saw a set of PP alloys in half decent condition going for £500ish a few months back , would have been a decent buy for the GR86 🤔
 
Calling all members of the Auto Zone , it’s going to be a small club but I’m sure we will have things to discuss and share.

The one thing I’m not happy about with are the small/ plasticky steering wheel paddles fitted by most manufacturers ☹️ My Golf R was very poor in this respect but the C63 had really nice large(ish) chunky metal ones which felt great.

Some nice feeling and decent sized shift paddles will be on my wish list. Anyone got experience with this in a GT86 Auto?
 
Calling all members of the Auto Zone , it’s going to be a small club but I’m sure we will have things to discuss and share.

The one thing I’m not happy about with are the small/ plasticky steering wheel paddles fitted by most manufacturers ☹️ My Golf R was very poor in this respect but the C63 had really nice large(ish) chunky metal ones which felt great.

Some nice feeling and decent sized shift paddles will be on my wish list. Anyone got experience with this in a GT86 Auto?

Sadly Andy... I tried to find good ones. They just don't exist.

The best ones I found were the Carbon Fibre ones... the metal extensions are too heavy, and what happens is the adhesive wears off and they fall off.... mid change. Not useful. Some were designed to have a screw put through them into the plastic... not good.

The best option I found was carbon fibre (expensive) because they're lightweight, the 3M adhesive holds tight... mostly. What would happen in extreme heat, not so uncommon when you leave your car parked in the sun, is the adhesive bond would become weaker... you'd go to drive and POP it came off.

So... after this, I realised you have to be pretty darn selective when you use the paddles... which makes them less than worthless.

That said, I found full auto mode in Sport mode was engaging enough... the ECU learned how you drove and it wouldn't downshift/upshift without reason to and it was normally justified. Where the autobox struggles is when you want to leave it in say third gear and you just want to come off the throtle for a few seconds... it has a temptation to upshift. And then downshift when you reapply the throttle hard, which thus increases the lag/delay.
 
Last edited:
Sadly Andy... I tried to find good ones. They just don't exist.

The best ones I found were the Carbon Fibre ones... the metal extensions are too heavy, and what happens is the adhesive wears off and they fall off.... mid change. Not useful. Some were designed to have a screw put through them into the plastic... not good.

The best option I found was carbon fibre (expensive) because they're lightweight, the 3M adhesive holds tight... mostly. What would happen in extreme heat, not so uncommon when you leave your car parked in the son, is the adhesive bond would become weaker... you'd go to drive and POP it came off.

So... after this, I realised you have to be pretty darn selective when you use the paddles... which makes them less than worthless.

That said, I found full auto mode in Sport mode was engaging enough... the ECU learned how you drove and it wouldn't downshift/upshift without reason to and it was normally justified. Where the autobox struggles is when you want to leave it in say third gear and you just want to come off the throtle for a few seconds... it has a temptation to upshift. And then downshift when you reapply the throttle hard, which thus increases the lag/delay.
Thank for the feedback @James-UK , as always first hand experience is invaluable 👍. I know there is a guy who develops parts for the Alpine A110 and the shifters he’s designed replace the original ones entirely.

It may be one of those things we have to live with. I do tend to use the auto Modes , paddles and gear lever to change when I’m having fun , depending on how I feel, the choice is nice to have.

Some folk in the US have complained that the manual gear lever shift is the “wrong way around” Up changes away and Down changes towards you , but I don’t have an issue with that configuration.
 
I haven't driven an auto in 4 years and the newest auto I've had was a 2005 jag, looking forward to being able to lazy drive everyday again, just hoping it doesn't spoil the fun element,

I've seen a few complaints about small paddles on new cars before, think I'll live with them for a while before I make a change, if they don't get used that much I wouldn't want something too big in the way
 
I haven't driven an auto in 4 years and the newest auto I've had was a 2005 jag, looking forward to being able to lazy drive everyday again, just hoping it doesn't spoil the fun element,

I've seen a few complaints about small paddles on new cars before, think I'll live with them for a while before I make a change, if they don't get used that much I wouldn't want something too big in the way
There is nothing wrong with the 6AT in the GR86, not as fast as a DCT but nothing is And if you enjoy an auto this will be fun. The paddles may bother you or you may find them ok. You can also use the gear lever in manual mode so plenty of choice. 👍
 
There is nothing wrong with the 6AT in the GR86, not as fast as a DCT but nothing is And if you enjoy an auto this will be fun. The paddles may bother you or you may find them ok. You can also use the gear lever in manual mode so plenty of choice. 👍
90% of my driving is in London traffic so I'm sure I'll forgive the gearbox for any quirks when I make it home for the first time without an aching left knee
 
90% of my driving is in London traffic so I'm sure I'll forgive the gearbox for any quirks when I make it home for the first time without an aching left knee
It’s fine in all modes , I’ve only ever driven in London a few times but you have my sympathy 👍
 
Back
Top