GR Yaris GR Yaris Tyre Wear

Heliomalt

Absorbed member
May 9, 2022
Helvetia
Replaced the front tyres today, mileage 8500km, tyre pressure 2.2 bar. The tyres are completely worn out.
I mounted the rear Michelins 4s to drive down to the front, a Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport is now mounted at the rear, the same tyre will be mounted at the front when the Michelins are equally worn.
The Michelins are better everyday tyres, but for me as a sports tyre rather questionable. I had the best grip between 10-20 degrees outside temperature, above that, noticeably above 25 degrees, the tyres start to squeal, smear and slip. So they are actually unusable in summer. I only used them on the road, mainly in the Black Forest or similar very tight bends in Switzerland. I hardly ever drive on the motorway, I use the car purely for fun and not as a daily driver, not in the rain, not in winter.
Attached are pictures of the suspension setup and the front tyre, they both look the same.
Price/performance ratio of this tyre is not right for me at all, rather one of the worst I have driven in 31 years. It is questionable to me why the tyre is so often recommended and performs so well in the tests. Probably good marketing, good sponsoring and a lot of voodoo in various forums.
I'm curious to see how long the front tyre will last and how the Goodyear will perform in terms of mileage, handling and grip. However, mileage is rather secondary, as the GY costs less than half of the Michelin.
I should also mention that the first 4000 km were driven with the factory settings, after which Phil from Rötheli Racing readjusted the suspension, which had a positive effect on cornering, the car steers much better and is noticeably more playful to drive. On normal roads in normal mode, on winding roads in track mode.

Front:

GR_Yaris_Fahrwerk_1.jpeg

Rear:

GR_Yaris_Fahrwerk_2.jpeg

PXL_20230519_075059217.jpg

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
Something not right there. My summers came off at about 10,000 km and were perfectly fine, no uneven wear, and would all have gone back on if it weren’t for a bit of sidewall damage to one.

As it is, two of them are fitted now and I kept the other undamaged one as a spare

I’d be getting your alignment looked at.

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
I believe the manual states every 8-10000km to rotate the tyres, but my feeling with this car and the type of driving we do (like you, spirited weekend fun car), then rotating the wheels should come much sooner. Perhaps every 2000km. My tyre wear has been very even and I have done more than 12,000km.

Reactions: Heliomalt

Heliomalt

Absorbed member
May 9, 2022
Helvetia
That's certainly worth a try, but it doesn't make the tyre any better in terms of grip. But this way I can see earlier what the Goodyear is good for.

AP756

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 6, 2021
South of Germany near Pforzheim
Replaced the front tyres today, mileage 8500km, tyre pressure 2.2 bar. The tyres are completely worn out.
I mounted the rear Michelins 4s to drive down to the front, a Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport is now mounted at the rear, the same tyre will be mounted at the front when the Michelins are equally worn.
The Michelins are better everyday tyres, but for me as a sports tyre rather questionable. I had the best grip between 10-20 degrees outside temperature, above that, noticeably above 25 degrees, the tyres start to squeal, smear and slip. So they are actually unusable in summer. I only used them on the road, mainly in the Black Forest or similar very tight bends in Switzerland. I hardly ever drive on the motorway, I use the car purely for fun and not as a daily driver, not in the rain, not in winter.
Attached are pictures of the suspension setup and the front tyre, they both look the same.
Price/performance ratio of this tyre is not right for me at all, rather one of the worst I have driven in 31 years. It is questionable to me why the tyre is so often recommended and performs so well in the tests. Probably good marketing, good sponsoring and a lot of voodoo in various forums.
I'm curious to see how long the front tyre will last and how the Goodyear will perform in terms of mileage, handling and grip. However, mileage is rather secondary, as the GY costs less than half of the Michelin.
I should also mention that the first 4000 km were driven with the factory settings, after which Phil from Rötheli Racing readjusted the suspension, which had a positive effect on cornering, the car steers much better and is noticeably more playful to drive. On normal roads in normal mode, on winding roads in track mode.

Front:

View attachment 16791

Rear:

View attachment 16792

View attachment 16793

Too low pressure for your driving profile and the chamber adjustment used, 14" on each side is way too much toe in (should be max 5" each side), the rest is influenced from your driving style ;-)

Bye for now Fred

Heliomalt

Absorbed member
May 9, 2022
Helvetia
With the stock chassis, the car goes toe out a lot when the suspension compresses, which is probably why Phil chose this value. That was his recommendation.

I have tried the air pressure a few times, from 2.2-2.6 cold, while driving the tyres go up from 2.2 on average to about 2.7/2.8.

I felt that the grip was best with 2.2.

AP756

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 6, 2021
South of Germany near Pforzheim
Don't want to disagree :). But as usual with cars your setup doesn't fit perfectly to your driving style. Just from your tyre wear I see that you transfer too much force to the outer wheel of your front axle and your car uses "too much shoulder". By reducing toe in and probably increasing castor (which isn't adjustable with standard GR suspension) you'll get a good compromise. Let us know your hardware and ride hights.

Bye for now Fred

Reactions: Heliomalt

Heliomalt

Absorbed member
May 9, 2022
Helvetia
Standard suspension, springs and shock absorbers. In addition, the GR original strut brace is installed and Powerflex camber bolts. The car has no other modifications except for steel braided brake lines and harder torque arm. Just for your information.

Lanman

Obsessed member
Dec 19, 2021
Brisbane

Front:

View attachment 16791

Rear:

View attachment 16792

View attachment 16793
That’s more negative rear camber than would seem necessary? What does Lauren think??
I run 32 psi front 34 psi rear as it adds ‘adjustablity’ . Lauren settings for camber and toe .

Last edited: