GR86 Water spotting? after Ceramic coating

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
I’ve been toying with the idea of getting my car ceramic coated but am put off by the water spotting problem. What are views as to just getting the ‘sloping’ bits on the car ceramic coated (so leaving the bonnet and roof for example, where droplets of water would ‘sit’)? Would this be a viable option perhaps? 🤔
It's no different to putting a wax or sealant on a car, spotting can be caused by hydrophobic coatings, not specifically ceramic coating. It's when water sits on the panel in beads and evaporates off. Me and conscript live in a very hard water area, water spots are guaranteed if you wash your car and don't dry it properly.

Reactions: JohnL

Diggler

Fascinated Member
Jan 21, 2023
It's no different to putting a wax or sealant on a car, spotting can be caused by hydrophobic coatings, not specifically ceramic coating. It's when water sits on the panel in beads and evaporates off. Me and conscript live in a very hard water area, water spots are guaranteed if you wash your car and don't dry it properly.
It may be my lack of understanding but I thought that when it comes to ceramic coating, the water spots end up pretty much ‘etched’ into the coating itself and are therefore hard to remove. Is that a fair assessment? I was thinking that at least with spotting in wax, these are easily remedied.

MarkinStoke

Dedicated member
Dec 6, 2021
Stoke
It may be my lack of understanding but I thought that when it comes to ceramic coating, the water spots end up pretty much ‘etched’ into the coating itself and are therefore hard to remove. Is that a fair assessment? I was thinking that at least with spotting in wax, these are easily remedied.
If not removed they will eventually etch in, but I'd prefer it to etch in the coating than to etch in the cars clear coat which you see on some cars, then the only way of "hopefully" removing would be mechanical, best to always dry your car thoroughly. I've found using a polymer sacrificial top coat helps a lot with reducing spotting compared to my old si02 top coat.

Diggler

Fascinated Member
Jan 21, 2023
If not removed they will eventually etch in, but I'd prefer it to etch in the coating than to etch in the cars clear coat which you see on some cars, then the only way of "hopefully" removing would be mechanical, best to always dry your car thoroughly. I've found using a polymer sacrificial top coat helps a lot with reducing spotting compared to my old si02 top coat.
Thank you - that’s helpful.

MarkinStoke

Dedicated member
Dec 6, 2021
Stoke
Just finished and ready for japfest.
1000003425.jpg