GR86 Tyres on Stock Wheels

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
I'm still a while away yet, 5mm on front, 4.5mm on rear after almost 5000 miles but already starting to think what tyres to replace the stock PS4's with. Will go to 225/40/18 as it's so much cheaper. I've had Michelin's for years but want to try something else. Michelin's for me have always worked well and always grip to the markers and a bit beyond. There's PS4S's which are witchcraft on the Yaris and now the PS5. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's were my choice before the Michelin's but time has moved on, are they worth a look again? I've had cars with Conti's from stock and while they warm quick, once they got below 4mm the grip dropped massively, so not sure on those.

Are there any other tyres I should consider? It's a daily so nothing that will die in less than 4k. Only tyres I've had do that were a Pirelli one hot summer.

Stardus.

Dedicated member
Mar 15, 2022
I don't find the PS4 all that grippy on the GR86, maybe it's down to the width and suspension.

Do want something stickier and different, had PS4 on all my daily for years now!

There is the PSS5,the new PS4S replacement coming and I am rather interested in the Bridgestone Potenza Sport, or just go straight to the AD09 and suffer through wet and winter.

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
I don't find the PS4 all that grippy on the GR86, maybe it's down to the width and suspension.

Do want something stickier and different, had PS4 on all my daily for years now!

There is the PSS5,the new PS4S replacement coming and I am rather interested in the Bridgestone Potenza Sport, or just go straight to the AD09 and suffer through wet and winter.
I think it's width but once temps got above 15c and nearer 20c they've been pretty good on my roads. Think a 225 will be ideal as I've run that for so many years and a PS4 on the Octavia.

PSS5 I'm not sure we'll see in an 18" yet.

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Used Goodyear eagle F1 a few times over the years and they're a good tyre. A tad softer on the sidewalls than PS4 I find.
The OH has the runflat versions on her BMW and they're surprisingly good. Not that it's very sporty being a diesel estate lol

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
I found that when i run them which made me switch to Michelin. Watched some reviews on the Asymmetric 6's and they've rated slightly better than the PS5, but really there's nothing in it. If anything the PS5 is comfier (I take that as softer side walls) but the Goodyear is quieter and there's better steering feel and less understeer. On Camskill they are only £85 a tyre as an example. I have a few sources locally for tyres so will probably get them through them.

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
I might go for 225 Yoko V107s, depending on price or Eagle F1 Asymmetrics

Reactions: beorg

WWGR86

Obsessed member
Apr 14, 2022
Oxfordshire

AD09 would be the best apart from the price and where to source them.

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
Continental SportContact 7 is the new benchmark.
A few have said this now. Last time I had Conti's almost 10 years ago, once they got to 3mm they lost grip massively, even if the legal limit is less. Michelin's would be consistent to the markers in the dry.

That said, I run Conti's on my road bike because of the chili compound these have. They grip really well and last OK.

DesmondWheelsEU

Devoted member
Vendor
Nov 27, 2022
Bedfordshire
A few have said this now. Last time I had Conti's almost 10 years ago, once they got to 3mm they lost grip massively, even if the legal limit is less. Michelin's would be consistent to the markers in the dry.

That said, I run Conti's on my road bike because of the chili compound these have. They grip really well and last OK.

I've got Michelin Pilot SuperSport on my daily driver, I've heard nothing but good things about the new CSC7, when my current ones die off - which won't be long - I will be checking those out.

I get through a set of tyres a year, and I can't say I run them down to the wear bars typically, so I am willing to experiment.

Reactions: KobayashiMaru86

GRpirate

Dedicated member
May 1, 2022
Hampshire

I with you on the conti when they wear down I found they went right off. Used the previous Goodyear f1 and they are my favorite. The ps4 are not suited to the car in winter low temperatures, worst car tyre combo I have had. There great now there some heat. I bought moon ball stock wheels so have two set to wear through. Plan is to put some 4 season rubber on one set. Will also go with 225 sizing cant really see it robbing the car of much agility and it does feel a bit under tyred although I quite like that. The PS4 were the best when they came out but things have moved on and the ps5 don’t seem much different. Black circles have the PS5 in stock I think someone mentioned lack of availability. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the 225 fitted

Beans

Dedicated member
Apr 11, 2022
East Mids
If its primarily a daily, you may also like the Continental premium contact 7s. I've found the soft sidewall of the ps4 undesirable (if quite comfy) for spirited road driving, and get more feedback through my premium contact 6s. Check out tyrereviews website as they say the 7s are even better, just may not have the outright grip of the sport contacts.
(Edit : latest tyre reviews video says otherwise, maybe not a good sporty tyre anymore, unlike the 6)

I'm looking at the sport contact 7 for next tyre tp see what the fuss is about compared to premium contact, but prices for them have shot up in 225 40 18.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stardus.

Dedicated member
Mar 15, 2022
After looking at the latest rounds of reviews, I think the Advan V107 would be going on my GR86 next

It appears to handle heat from occasional track day much better than the Potenza Sport or PS4/5 and at 108 fitted, cheap too. 225/40r18 size

AE86

Fascinated Member
Sep 20, 2022
Please don’t laugh at this suggestion, but I’m tempted to replace the rear tyres with 225 wide Michelin Primacy’s because I love their slidey characteristics on both GT86’s I’ve owned. I could be wrong but don’t think they make them in 215 wide.
no sniggering at the back please 😂🙈